Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > .NET Mcad with Visual Studio 2005 on the way? is it worth it?

.NET Mcad with Visual Studio 2005 on the way? is it worth it?

Chris R

I am starting to work on getting my MCAD and now that I
look at the MSDN site I see that Visual Studios 2005 is
in the works / beta or on its way out. What does this
mean to people who are getting their MCAD right now? I
already have all my books for the MCAD exam, so I still
want to get it, but will my MCAD in .NET be worthless
once 2005 comes out? just wondering. Thanks

Saga

I too have been thinking about this. Here is my personal
tale, which may or may not be good for you or anyone
else who reads this:

VS 2005 will have some differences from previous .NET
products, but not even close to the differences from VS6
to VS .NET, so I did not consider certifying for .NET 2003
as worhtless.

VS2005 does not have a release date yet. Rumors have
it that it will happen somewhere around August. The only
official comment from MS is that it doesn;t plan to change
the product's name.<g>

There is no indication that MS will release new exams
for VS 2005.

If it did, it probably wouldn't happen for another 18 months
(my guess).

The certification for whatever it is worth, is worth more
having it than not having it (out on a limb here<g>)

So I asked myself, 'Should I really make a decision
based on the above facts (or lack there of)?'

Worse case scenario: MS updates the exams for VS2005.
In any case this means retaking the tests in about 2 or 3 years,
so by then the currents certs should have paid for themselves
(even if that means just getting oohhs and ahhhs from colleagues
after you brag about the certs).

Although I have a ton of work right now, I would prepare and
take the exams as soon as I could, as waiting for the new exams
involves too many uncertaintities.

Just my 2 cents<g> and as they say, IMHO.
Saga

"Chris R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:112001c53ad8$47dcb240$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am starting to work on getting my MCAD and now that I
> look at the MSDN site I see that Visual Studios 2005 is
> in the works / beta or on its way out. What does this
> mean to people who are getting their MCAD right now? I
> already have all my books for the MCAD exam, so I still
> want to get it, but will my MCAD in .NET be worthless
> once 2005 comes out? just wondering. Thanks

Chris R

THanks, that made ALOT of sence. after looking at VS2005
it still lists Visual C#, Not Visual C# 2.0, not Visual
C# .COM, Not Visual C# 2005, so I am hoping they do not
change to much as I am planning on focusing on C# and
doing VB.net at the same time but mostly C#. Glad someone
else out there thought of this also, and I am hoping that
it iwll be a while before the new Exams come out if they
actually do plan on releasing new exams, just long enough
for me to get my .NET done with.