Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > Word to the wise!

Word to the wise!

Sean

I had to learn the hard way....

Rush out and get yourself a book with MCAD/MCSD on it with questions in the
back and you think that is all you need to study..do well in school, pretty
sharp think you can knock this out....be careful.

The questions in the books are very hard and sometimes cover things not in
the book. The CD's in the books cover other questions not in the book and are
equally as hard. You end up thinking its just the publishers questions only
to find out that the exam is formated just as the questions in the book are.
So you run out and get 3 books that cover .net topics you need to know in
general and then take yet another mock up exams only to find they asked you
questions from mars so you go research it only to find the questions are
correct.

In short, these exams are a B*TCH! Had I known I wouldnt have even started
but now I feel like its a waste to not at the very least pass one exam

SagaBoi17

So what books/ authors would you recommend to help pass the exam?

"Sean" wrote:

> I had to learn the hard way....
>
> Rush out and get yourself a book with MCAD/MCSD on it with questions in the
> back and you think that is all you need to study..do well in school, pretty
> sharp think you can knock this out....be careful.
>
> The questions in the books are very hard and sometimes cover things not in
> the book. The CD's in the books cover other questions not in the book and are
> equally as hard. You end up thinking its just the publishers questions only
> to find out that the exam is formated just as the questions in the book are.
> So you run out and get 3 books that cover .net topics you need to know in
> general and then take yet another mock up exams only to find they asked you
> questions from mars so you go research it only to find the questions are
> correct.
>
> In short, these exams are a B*TCH! Had I known I wouldnt have even started
> but now I feel like its a waste to not at the very least pass one exam

Sean

All of them....

start with buying ALL the cert books that say MCAD/MCSD in the title with
the test number you are studying, that is a good start.

"SagaBoi17" wrote:

> So what books/ authors would you recommend to help pass the exam?
>
> "Sean" wrote:
>
> > I had to learn the hard way....
> >
> > Rush out and get yourself a book with MCAD/MCSD on it with questions in the
> > back and you think that is all you need to study..do well in school, pretty
> > sharp think you can knock this out....be careful.
> >
> > The questions in the books are very hard and sometimes cover things not in
> > the book. The CD's in the books cover other questions not in the book and are
> > equally as hard. You end up thinking its just the publishers questions only
> > to find out that the exam is formated just as the questions in the book are.
> > So you run out and get 3 books that cover .net topics you need to know in
> > general and then take yet another mock up exams only to find they asked you
> > questions from mars so you go research it only to find the questions are
> > correct.
> >
> > In short, these exams are a B*TCH! Had I known I wouldnt have even started
> > but now I feel like its a waste to not at the very least pass one exam

- -

So is it worth taking after all?

Sean

I havent passed one exam yet. I tried for 70-306 and got 511, need 700 to
pass. I am having serious second thoughts I even started this madness to be
honest. But I can say for sure if its good or not in the work world. I do
know that the average pay for MCSD is very high, like 85k and 55k to start
but in all honesty I am not doing it for the money but its the only
information I have about the industry at this point

"- -" wrote:

> So is it worth taking after all?

Rob Labbe \(Lowney\)

Honestly folks, there is not a book you can buy that will replace
experience.

The exams all state that they are targeted at folks with real experience.
What if you don't have it? then do your best to come up with some
application ideas, call a local charity and build a new business system for
them.... Most of all, play, explore, learn.

--
Rob Labbé, MCP, MCAD, MCSD, MCT
Lead Architect/Trainer

Blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/roblabbe

"SagaBoi17" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So what books/ authors would you recommend to help pass the exam?
>
> "Sean" wrote:
>
>> I had to learn the hard way....
>>
>> Rush out and get yourself a book with MCAD/MCSD on it with questions in
>> the
>> back and you think that is all you need to study..do well in school,
>> pretty
>> sharp think you can knock this out....be careful.
>>
>> The questions in the books are very hard and sometimes cover things not
>> in
>> the book. The CD's in the books cover other questions not in the book and
>> are
>> equally as hard. You end up thinking its just the publishers questions
>> only
>> to find out that the exam is formated just as the questions in the book
>> are.
>> So you run out and get 3 books that cover .net topics you need to know in
>> general and then take yet another mock up exams only to find they asked
>> you
>> questions from mars so you go research it only to find the questions are
>> correct.
>>
>> In short, these exams are a B*TCH! Had I known I wouldnt have even
>> started
>> but now I feel like its a waste to not at the very least pass one exam

Sean

I agree to a point. I am currently making an application for myself so that I
will have hands on experience and its helping me understand greatly what I
have been reading HOWEVER....in most cases I would have no clue what to look
for, what I could do etc without reading the books. That said, I wish I just
got behind the machine a little sooner.

And now that I got drag and drop to work and connected to an excel file with
a query..its break time!

"Rob Labbe (Lowney)" wrote:

> Honestly folks, there is not a book you can buy that will replace
> experience.
>
> The exams all state that they are targeted at folks with real experience.
> What if you don't have it? then do your best to come up with some
> application ideas, call a local charity and build a new business system for
> them.... Most of all, play, explore, learn.
>

> --
> Rob Labbé, MCP, MCAD, MCSD, MCT
> Lead Architect/Trainer
> Fidelis
>
> Blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/roblabbe
>
> "SagaBoi17" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > So what books/ authors would you recommend to help pass the exam?
> >
> > "Sean" wrote:
> >
> >> I had to learn the hard way....
> >>
> >> Rush out and get yourself a book with MCAD/MCSD on it with questions in
> >> the
> >> back and you think that is all you need to study..do well in school,
> >> pretty
> >> sharp think you can knock this out....be careful.
> >>
> >> The questions in the books are very hard and sometimes cover things not
> >> in
> >> the book. The CD's in the books cover other questions not in the book and
> >> are
> >> equally as hard. You end up thinking its just the publishers questions
> >> only
> >> to find out that the exam is formated just as the questions in the book
> >> are.
> >> So you run out and get 3 books that cover .net topics you need to know in
> >> general and then take yet another mock up exams only to find they asked
> >> you
> >> questions from mars so you go research it only to find the questions are
> >> correct.
> >>
> >> In short, these exams are a B*TCH! Had I known I wouldnt have even
> >> started
> >> but now I feel like its a waste to not at the very least pass one exam

Rob Labbe \(Lowney\)

A tip,

While you're playing with the product, try to avoid a lot of the drag and
drop features and do it the manual (long, hard) way. Use the SDK
documentation, really understand what the namespaces are in the framework
and how they are to be used.

You'll notice there are often several ways to do the same thing. Each with
its own time and place. Get to know when to use each and more importantly
why.

The trick to passing these exams is NOT memorization. Unless you're way
smarter than me (a distinct possibility) you'll never remember all the
information you need. However, if you understand the underling concepts
(really understand them) you'll always be able to figure out the correct
answers yourself.

The prep books generally do a great job of presenting the facts to memorize,
but don't do so well at explaining the underlying concepts. That is why the
questions seem so tough, they don't match the facts in the book exactly, and
the book hasn't presented the underlying concepts for you to be able to come
up with the answer yourself.

It is very possible to get ready for these exams based on experience with
the product, the tool, and the SDK documentation. (I wrote the exams while
they were in beta, that's all that was available to me at the time)

Regards,

--
Rob Labbé, MCP, MCAD, MCSD, MCT
Lead Architect/Trainer
Fidelis

Blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/roblabbe

"Sean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I agree to a point. I am currently making an application for myself so that
> will have hands on experience and its helping me understand greatly what I
> have been reading HOWEVER....in most cases I would have no clue what to
> look
> for, what I could do etc without reading the books. That said, I wish I
> just
> got behind the machine a little sooner.
>
> And now that I got drag and drop to work and connected to an excel file
> with
> a query..its break time!
>
> "Rob Labbe (Lowney)" wrote:
>
>> Honestly folks, there is not a book you can buy that will replace
>> experience.
>>
>> The exams all state that they are targeted at folks with real experience.
>> What if you don't have it? then do your best to come up with some
>> application ideas, call a local charity and build a new business system
>> for
>> them.... Most of all, play, explore, learn.
>>

>> --
>> Rob Labbé, MCP, MCAD, MCSD, MCT
>> Lead Architect/Trainer
>> Fidelis
>>
>> Blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/roblabbe
>>
>> "SagaBoi17" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > So what books/ authors would you recommend to help pass the exam?

Sean

well first off I didnt even know they had componets for drag and drop. I
didnt know there was any other way to do it other then by code.
second off, if I had not read these books I would have zero idea what may or
may not be on the exam..

"Rob Labbe (Lowney)" wrote:

> [...]
> > got behind the machine a little sooner.
> >
> > And now that I got drag and drop to work and connected to an excel file
> > with
> > a query..its break time!
> >
> > "Rob Labbe (Lowney)" wrote:
> >
> >> Honestly folks, there is not a book you can buy that will replace
> >> experience.
> >>
> >> The exams all state that they are targeted at folks with real experience.
> >> What if you don't have it? then do your best to come up with some
> >> application ideas, call a local charity and build a new business system
> >> for
> >> them.... Most of all, play, explore, learn.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Rob Labbé, MCP, MCAD, MCSD, MCT
> >> Lead Architect/Trainer
> >> Fidelis
> >>
> >> Blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/roblabbe
> >>
> >> "SagaBoi17" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Friend

Rob seems a tad pretentious. Notice how he lists redundant certificates after
his name (eg. MCP followed by MCAD, when the latter implies the former )?

As someone with two B.S. and an M.S., I don't consider these corporate certs
anything worth putting after my name. A Bachelor's degree - or even an
Associates degree - is regarded much higher than any corporate cert.
Nevertheless, they can get you a job if you're lucky, and if you have no
other credentials, there is no reaosn not to continue after these easy ones.

Listen, Sean - why not just visit TestKing.com?

Rob said:
The prep books generally do a great job of presenting the facts to memorize,
but don't do so well at explaining the underlying concepts. That is why the
questions seem so tough, they don't match the facts in the book exactly, and
the book hasn't presented the underlying concepts for you to be able to come
up with the answer yourself."

In other words the books are essentially lame brain dumps (or so it seems
Rob is saying). So long as you're using braindumps, you might as well get
good ones from TestKing. Rob says "it's not about memorization". But we all
knoiw it's ALL ABOUT MEMORIZATION.

Two words, my friend - TEST KING.

Ron says that the tests are not about memorization. He's all wrong - it's
all about memorization.