Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > Elective exam

Elective exam

Eduard Cros

Hi all, I'm taking the MCAD certification (as all here I
guess ). I've already passed 70-305 and 70-310 (with
high scores ) and now thinking what elective exam should
I take.
My doubts are:
1) Which will be more useful as a .Net programmer?
2) Which will be easier?
3) Which will be valid for more time?

I've read that when they update a product (major update)
you've got to retake the exams to mantain your
certificate, and I've read about sql server 2005 too,
while 70-229 still works with sql server 2000... will that
mean that when sql server 2005 will be released I'll have
to retake the exam? in this case I should take 70-306, no?

Cindy Winegarden

"Eduard Cros" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:143c01c4e83c$c88fde10$(E-Mail Removed)...

Hi Eduard,

> Hi all, I'm taking the MCAD certification (as all here I
> guess ). I've already passed 70-305 and 70-310 (with
> high scores ) and now thinking what elective exam should
> I take.
> My doubts are:
> 1) Which will be more useful as a .Net programmer?
> 2) Which will be easier?
> 3) Which will be valid for more time?

I'd take the topic area that you are most interested in. Do you wor with
data very much? Then you might like 70-229. If you're doing front ends then
take both Windows and Web.

> I've read that when they update a product (major update)
> you've got to retake the exams to mantain your
> certificate,

This is not true. Please see
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...PUpdatesPR.asp.
I've seen exams for several versions of the same product live at the same
time and available for use to satisfy certification requirements.

> and I've read about sql server 2005 too,
> while 70-229 still works with sql server 2000... will that
> mean that when sql server 2005 will be released I'll have
> to retake the exam? in this case I should take 70-306, no?

Nobody even knows if there will be new exams when Whidbey and Yukon go live,
but by your logic you'd need a Whidbey version of 70-306 if you needed a
Yukon version of 70-229.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) www.cindywinegarden.com

Reading from the MCP Program Agreement, section 3. b)

MAINTAINING CERTIFICATION. To mantain your certification
(s), you must comply with any and all applicable
cointinuing certification requeriments specified by
Microsoft from time to time. You acknowledge that
Microsoft may, at its sole descretion, change the
certification requeriments (both initial and continuing),
MCP Designations and MCP Logos at any time. Microsoft will
notify you by e-mail... of any changes in certification
requeriments for any certifications you hold. You will be
allowed six full calendar months ... in whith to comply
with any such changed certification requeriments ...
Failure to comply with all applicable continuing
certification requeriments will result in termination of
this Agreement ...

I don't exactly know what major changes force Microsoft to
change continuing requeriments, but I think big changes as
VB 6.0 to VB.NET are big enough, that's why my question
was if SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005 was a big enough
change or not... besides that I prefer front-end
applications but not sure where is easier to find a job as
I'm a MCnyP (Microsoft Certified not-yet-Professional, as
someone else in this forum, but a little more
optimistic )

11MCPUpdatesPR.asp.
>I've seen exams for several versions of the same product

live at the same
>time and available for use to satisfy certification

requirements.

>> and I've read about sql server 2005 too,
>> while 70-229 still works with sql server 2000... will

that
>> mean that when sql server 2005 will be released I'll

have
>> to retake the exam? in this case I should take 70-306,

no?

>Nobody even knows if there will be new exams when Whidbey

and Yukon go live,
>but by your logic you'd need a Whidbey version of 70-306

if you needed a
>Yukon version of 70-229.
>
>--
>Cindy Winegarden MCSD, Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
>(E-Mail Removed) www.cindywinegarden.com
>

>.

Cindy Winegarden

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:035801c4e8f5$16bdde30$(E-Mail Removed)...

Hi,

> Reading from the MCP Program Agreement, section 3. b)
>
> MAINTAINING CERTIFICATION. To mantain your certification
> (s), you must comply with any and all applicable
> cointinuing certification requeriments specified by
> Microsoft from time to time. You acknowledge that
> Microsoft may, at its sole descretion, change the
> certification requeriments (both initial and continuing),
> MCP Designations and MCP Logos at any time. Microsoft will
> notify you by e-mail... of any changes in certification
> requeriments for any certifications you hold. You will be
> allowed six full calendar months ... in whith to comply
> with any such changed certification requeriments ...
> Failure to comply with all applicable continuing
> certification requeriments will result in termination of
> this Agreement ...

Ah. I haven't read that in a while. Although they're saying that they can do
pretty much whatever they want and that you don't really have any rights.
Nevertheless, even though they can declare that you are no longer a
"solution developer" no one can ever say that you did not pass 70-whatever,
certifying a level of expertise in version whatever of the software. Of
course that's what the article I referenced was all about. When Windows 2000
came out there were a lot of NT4 machines installations that would not be
immediately upgraded, and there continued to be demand for NT4 MCSEs for
several more years. In the same way, there is a huge body of VB6 code still
in use and there continues to be demand for VB6 developers.

> I don't exactly know what major changes force Microsoft to
> change continuing requeriments, but I think big changes as
> VB 6.0 to VB.NET are big enough, that's why my question
> was if SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005 was a big enough
> change or not...

When the Visual Studio 6 exams, the VS6 Solution Architectures exam, and
some of the VS6 MCSD electives were retired there were "no candidate
requirements to retain certification."
(http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...amsretired.asp)

> besides that I prefer front-end
> applications but not sure where is easier to find a job as
> I'm a MCnyP (Microsoft Certified not-yet-Professional, as
> someone else in this forum, but a little more
> optimistic )

As far as jobs go, you should always do what you like. You'll be far more
motivated to continue to improve your skills than you would if you were
doing something you didn't enjoy.

(E-Mail Removed) www.cindywinegarden.com