Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > 70-315, 70-316 and 70-320

70-315, 70-316 and 70-320

Finn J Johnsen

Hi

I heard (from a guy at another group) that 70-315, 70-316 and 70-320
(all core exams) will result in a MCAD. Inspite of what it says on
microsofts page
(http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...quirements.asp) about 1
elective exam required (plus the 2 core ones - ofcourse).

Is this correct?

Thanks,
Finn

Wei

Yes. I got MCAD by using this combination.

(http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...equirements.as
p) about 1
>elective exam required (plus the 2 core ones - ofcourse).
>
>Is this correct?
>
>Thanks,
>Finn
>.

GrannySmith

So why does the microsoft page say this combination does not qualify as MCAD
if it does?
How do you know for sure that 70-315, 70-316 and 70-320 = MCAD

thanks,

"Wei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7bc701c4cd82$1d4f10e0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes. I got MCAD by using this combination.

Vektor

GrannySmith wrote:
> So why does the microsoft page say this combination does not qualify
> as MCAD if it does?
> How do you know for sure that 70-315, 70-316 and 70-320 = MCAD

You should read those requirements more carefully. In specific combination:
70-315 is for example core exam (the first section)
70-310 is core exam (the second section)
70-316 is used as elective exam even it is on the list as core exam also
(the third section)

--
Z.

zzz

Look at the microsoft MCAD requirements website carefuly.
It says under the elective exams section that you can do
it.

(http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...requirements.a
sp) about 1
>elective exam required (plus the 2 core ones - ofcourse).
>
>Is this correct?
>
>Thanks,
>Finn
>.

UAError

Finn J Johnsen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I heard (from a guy at another group) that 70-315, 70-316 and 70-320
>(all core exams) will result in a MCAD. Inspite of what it says on
>microsofts page
>(http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...quirements.asp) about 1
>elective exam required (plus the 2 core ones - ofcourse).
>
>Is this correct?
>
>Thanks,
>Finn

??? Remember this? (Over two weeks ago)

>"Finn J Johnsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Hi
>>
>>I would like to stay focused on C# and get MCAD Cert. So taking these
>>three exams would get me there, right? (I need to get rid of all doubt here)
>>
>>70-316 (Core Exam)
>>"Developing and Implementing Windows-based Applications with Microsoft
>>Visual C# .NET and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET"
>>
>>70-320 (Core Exam)
>>"Developing XML Web Services and Server Components with Microsoft Visual
>>C# and the Microsoft .NET Framework"
>>
>>70-340 (Elective Exam)
>>"Implementing Security for Applications with Microsoft Visual C# .NET"
>>
>>copy&paste from :
>>http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...quirements.asp
>>

>>Thanks,
>>Finn J Johnsen

>Attempting 70-340 before completing 70-315 is ill-advised
>IMO.
>
>A large part of 70-340 assumes a solid working knowledge of
>IIS 5.1/6.0 and ASP.NET 1.1 technology and its configuration
>on Windows Server platforms, including .NET Server 2003.
>
>If you want to start with 70-316 complete your MCAD as
>(70-316/70-320/70-315). Then take 70-340 (then only 70-300
>separates you from a MCSD.NET).
>
>The only C# track MCAD including 70-340 that makes any sense
>is (70-315/70-320/70-340). I believe the other route to be
>more effective.

And now lets repeat the pertinent part:

>If you want to start with 70-316 complete your MCAD as
>(70-316/70-320/70-315). Then take 70-340 (then only 70-300
>separates you from a MCSD.NET).

The only thing I didn't mention was that in fact
(70-316/70-320/70-315) got me an MCAD - I just didn't think
it was necessary to mention it.

You better start reading everything word for word, otherwise
those exam questions are going to have you for lunch.

Finn J Johnsen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Inspite of what it says on microsofts page
>(http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...quirements.asp) about 1
>elective exam required (plus the 2 core ones - ofcourse).

The page does tell you! Carefully read ALL of the
information, i.e.:

"If you use Exam 70-305 or 70-315 to satisfy the core exam
requirement, you may use either Exam 70-306 or 70-316 as an
elective.

If you use Exam 70-306 or 70-316 to satisfy the core exam
requirement, you may use either Exam 70-305 or 70-315 as an
elective."

Can't be any clearer than that.

Finn J Johnsen

hi

> The only thing I didn't mention was that in fact
> (70-316/70-320/70-315) got me an MCAD - I just didn't think
> it was necessary to mention it.

ah, I got the impression you suggested one extra exam to back up your
abilities to take 70-340. Or maybe it was some path to MCSD even. (which
I've not looked at, at all)

> You better start reading everything word for word, otherwise
> those exam questions are going to have you for lunch.

ouch

> The page does tell you! Carefully read ALL of the
> information, i.e.:
>
> "If you use Exam 70-305 or 70-315 to satisfy the core exam
> requirement, you may use either Exam 70-306 or 70-316 as an
> elective.
>
> If you use Exam 70-306 or 70-316 to satisfy the core exam
> requirement, you may use either Exam 70-305 or 70-315 as an
> elective."

I guess my mind locked up on the topic of the requirement -page at
microsoft:

How to Earn Your MCAD
Core Exams (2 Exams Required)
[...]

Elective Exams (1 Exams Required)
[...]

> Can't be any clearer than that.

Maybe

Well, thank you for clearing this stuff up for me. I've now got my recipe...

Finn

UAError

Finn J Johnsen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>hi
>
>> The only thing I didn't mention was that in fact
>> (70-316/70-320/70-315) got me an MCAD - I just didn't think
>> it was necessary to mention it.

>ah, I got the impression you suggested one extra exam to back up your
>abilities to take 70-340. Or maybe it was some path to MCSD even. (which
>I've not looked at, at all)

Well, in general it may still be a good idea to look ahead -
MCAD requires 3 exams, MCSD.NET requires 5 exams; so once
you're MCAD you are more that halfway there. Many
individuals use the

70-3(05|15|06|16) / 70-3(10|20) / 70-229 route for the MCAD
leaving them with two core exams for the MCSD.NET

if you take
70-3(06|16) / 70-3(10|20) / 70-3(05|15) you still have 2
exams left for the MCSD.NET but thats one core (70-300) and
one elective exam. You don't have to choose (70-229) as an
elective and while the first three exams are still fresh in
your mind expand on the .NET security you know about and get
the MSCD.NET elective over with by taking (70-3(30|40)).
(I'll append a repost regarding my comments on preparation
for 70-340 at the end).

Then you can take a breather and get some real experience
and also familiarize yourself with the purpose of Enterprise
Server products like BizTalk, Exchange, Host Intergration
Server, and Commerce Server.

I should note though that by taking 70-340 over 70-229 you
are going to make 70-300 a bit harder for yourself as it
assumes that you are familiar with SQL Server features to a
more detailed level than with the remaining Enterprise
Server products.

But when you are finally ready you only have one exam left
to obtain the MSCD.NET.

>> You better start reading everything word for word, otherwise
>> those exam questions are going to have you for lunch.

>ouch
>
>> The page does tell you! Carefully read ALL of the
>> information, i.e.:
>>
>> "If you use Exam 70-305 or 70-315 to satisfy the core exam
>> requirement, you may use either Exam 70-306 or 70-316 as an
>> elective.
>>
>> If you use Exam 70-306 or 70-316 to satisfy the core exam
>> requirement, you may use either Exam 70-305 or 70-315 as an
>> elective."

>I guess my mind locked up on the topic of the requirement -page at
>microsoft:
>
>How to Earn Your MCAD
>Core Exams (2 Exams Required)
>[...]
>
>Elective Exams (1 Exams Required)
>[...]
>

>> Can't be any clearer than that.

>Maybe
>
>Well, thank you for clearing this stuff up for me. I've now got my recipe...
>
>Finn

Well You have been warned
Good Luck

Repost of [Re: MCAD thinking of taking on 70-340] from
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd

UAError <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]
>
>Used "Chapter 30: Using Cryptography with .NET Framework: The Basics" when I ran into some sample code in the Readiness Review that asked you outline the steps for decrypting a stream encrypted with some sample code using a symmetric algorithm. The sample code wrote the KEY (!!!; should have been the SALT/entropy value) and the initialization vector (IV) to the stream. To make matters worse the code wrote the key/IV into the CryptoStream (!!!; i.e. forget about decrypting that). That's when I decided that I better know how to do the salt/IV thing properly - the code in this chapter used an interesting tactic; rather than writing the salt/IV to the unencrypted output stream and then wrapping the output stream in a CryptoStream, the code wrapped the CryptoStream around the data input stream.
>

>Improving Web Application Security: Threats and Countermeasures
>Publisher: Microsoft Press; (September 24, 2003)
>ISBN: 0735618429
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/ASIN/0735618429
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...eatCounter.asp
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
>
>Read the first three chapters and probed randomly into various areas of interest or concern.
>

>COM and .NET Component Services (O'Reilly Windows)
>by Juval Lwy
>Publisher: O'Reilly; 1 edition (September 1, 2001)
>ISBN: 0596001037
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596001037
>http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/comdotnetsvs/index.html
>
>Used this for its more casual treatment of COM+ security and its configuration.
>

>Mastering Regular Expressions, Second Edition
>by Jeffrey E. F. Friedl
>Publisher: O'Reilly; 2 edition (July 15, 2002)
>ISBN: 0596002890
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596002890
>http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/regex2/index.html
>
>Better have this within arms reach when you are chanting "Constrain-Reject-Sanitize".
>

>The .NET Developer's Guide to Windows Security
>by Keith Brown
>Publisher: Addison-Wesley Professional; (September 27, 2004)
>ISBN: 0321228359
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0321228359
>http://www.awprofessional.com/title/0321228359
>http://pluralsight.com/wiki/default....eBook.HomePage
>
>(Note: This title deals with "Windows Security" as it concerns the .NET developer, NOT ".NET Security". Look forward to "unsatisfied" reviews of readers that couldn't make that "subtle" distinction based on the title).

You're not reading the 'requirements' correctly. You
must do 2 core + 1 elective. You can use another core as
an elective. Mike