Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > Doing MCAD, VB.NET or C# path?

Doing MCAD, VB.NET or C# path?

Robin Tucker

I'm using VB.NET at work (with SQL Server), should I cover all my bases by
doing MCAD exams with the C# path? I know they are largely interchangeable
with mainly syntax differences but I'm looking ahead to when (and if!) I've
passed the exams and want to maybe change jobs.

Also, I've seen a lot of courseware online available at whopping great
prices. I'm not sure if its worth purchasing any of this stuff (I'm not
going to do taught courses). Is it enough to get through with the books
Microsoft recommends? I intend to do a "project" in my own time which takes
account of all of the skills required by the exams (to keep my learning in
context).

Finally, in the general case, does taking you MCAD improve your carreer
opportunities? I would like to go into contracting (in the UK).

Thanks for any advice/help you can give me.

Robin

A survey Microsoft did showed that 90% of people use
books and the only learning material for exam
preparation. Although most people I talk to say that
Microsoft press is useless. the large Que publisher book
series for this exam is very good people say and is what
I am using.
You can also do both VB and C#. You have the option of
taking two core exams and one of them would replace the
BizTalk (or the other exam in that group). The only catch
is the two core exams have to cover different
applications.
Thus, I am going to take VB for windows and C# for
internet applications.
Then the XML and that is it.

Annonymous.

Robin,

DO NOT USE MICROSOFT PRESS BOOKS!! They are the MOST
USELESS books ever!! If u'r doing it on a VB.Net track,
go for gunderloy's book (Que publications) or get Amit
Kalani's book if u'r thinking abt C#.Net track

Which track should you be doing depends on what you want
to do! [Although C#.Net rocks & there are still few
things tht you can NOT do with VB.Net]!!!!

=