Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > about permissions

about permissions

Rob

hi,
i have two questions about permissions , hope someone can
help:

1- generic principal vs impersonate
2- linkDemand vs Assert

1- if I impersonate an administrator on a computer, or i
created a generic principal with the role of
administrator, wouldn't that be the same ?

2-
Assert method: Declares that the calling code can access
the resource protected by a permission demand through the
code that calls this method, even if callers higher in
the stack have not been granted permission to access the
resource.

LinkDemand method:
The immediate caller is required to have been granted the
specified permission.

in the assert method, the immediate caller can or can't
access resources even if the immediate caller doesn't
have the permission ?

anonymous

When you create a principalpermission, the user named must
be in the the role named.

dim myPerm as new PrincipalPermission("myUser", "myGroup")
myPerm.Demand
'' Demand will fail if the user is "myUser" but is not in
the group "myGroup"
I don not believe you can extend permissions through code,
you can only further restrict the existing permissions.

Assert vs Demand
With assert, the immediate caller must have permission to
access the resources.
With Demand, every caller on the stack must have access to
the resources.
I think if assert fails, demand will always fail.

Does this sound right to the rest of the group? If it's
not right, please correct me.