Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > Summary of Newsgroup

Summary of Newsgroup

Vijay

Here is the brief summary of the newsgroup as of 12:52pm
on July 23, 2004

Contents:
1.Useful Links
2.Model questions
3.general comments
4.Other recommendations

1. Useful links:

www.walshsw.com not a big database, but 10$ for 30days

Amit Kalani's blue traning guide:
www.techcontent.com

http://i.1asphost.com/MCPTEST/ 7 CAD / 7days. Demo
10questions

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/ex...-316.asp#TOOLS

MS has some free assessment tests on the web
http://www.msmeasureup.com/test/Start_Test.asp?NNQT=1

http://www.testking.com/70-306.htm

Transcenders -> good, costly . =~ Microsoft's MeasureUp
software

2. Model questions:

kinds: the first is to match things up, or put them in
certain
categories. I don't remember seeing many of this kind. For
example, a
list of methods on one side, and a list of classes on the
other side.
Match up the methods with the classes that have those
methods.

The other kind is to put some steps in order. Take an item
from this
column, and move it to the other column in the right order.

You need to pay attention to see if all the steps are
needed. Sometimes
they through in some extra steps that you don't need.

Here's a dumb little example: your task is to write data
to a file.

steps
-----
close the file
open the file for writing
delete the file
open the file for reading
write data to the file

Now you need to drag these to another column in the right
order:

open the file for writing
write data to the file
close the file

These steps would not be used:

delete the file
open the file for reading

3. general comments:

there will be many fine corporations ready to snap
you up - however, remember there are less ms partners [of
any worth]
around these days!

4. Recommendations:
70-315 exam's textbook:
Developing and implementing web applications with Visual
C# .NET and Visual Studio .NET
ISBN:0-7897-2822-2

5.Miscellanious

Vijay

Summary of Threads from this newsgroup between July 7th -
2:00pm on July 23 2004.

Contents:
I. Useful Links
II. Recommendations
III. Advertisements
IV. Model questions

Useful Links:
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcad/
www.correctexams.com
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcad/default.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsd/default.asp

www.walshsw.com not a big database but $2.95 per exam or
10$ for 30days,
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...quirements.asp

http://www.certificationworks.com/ex...nt_voucher_vue
..cfm - >more cheaper
http://tinyurl.com/25nhg -> vb.net
www.codeclinic.com
http://tinyurl.com/38vky

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...licies/innovat
ions.asp

Recommendations:
--------Kalani's books:------begin
I love the Kalani blue training guides, but in all
honesty, the sample
questions in that book, and in the red Exam Cram, just
aren't good
enough unless you really mastered the material in every
detail.

Kalani's questions seem good for a knowledge level, but
the real test
is more of a comprehension level test.
------------ Kalani's books ---end

---MCAD begin ---

Am I MCAD Certified if I take these exams:

> 70-305
> 70-306
> 70-310
>
> Thanks in advance
> -James

Yes, but only if you pass them

Frankly, I think people should consider the 70-229 in
their MCAD. You
don't need it for MCAD, but it shows that you know
something about SQL
Server, which is used by most .NET companies.

If you want to be a web developer, I'd replace the 306
with the 229.
If you want to be a windows developer, I'd replace the 305
with the 229.

--MCAD end -----------

-----ADO.net begin ----------------------------------------
-------
ADO,NET is covered in quite a few exams, 315, 316, 320,
from what
I have read in this newsgroup.
-----ADO.net end ------------------------------------------
-------

----70-306 -----begin -------------------------------------
--------
----
The book that I read word by word was the Self-paced
Microsoft book (500 pages) by Matthew Stoecker. Its
sample questions were a little too difficult, but good.
Also bought Mike Gunderloy's book by QUE Certification,
but didn't have time to use it much. That one is a little
too detailed (1000 pages). Its sample questions were a
little too easy, but good. Several of the answers to
sample questions were wrong though.

used getcertified4less.com to use one of their packages
to register for the exam; that way it only cost me $35
for the Transcender sample questions, which is normally
over $110. The exam itself stays as $125. I thought the
Transcender questions were totally worth it. Especially
the comprehensive explanations to even the wrong choices
in questions. The difficulty of its questions were just
right. i.e., not too difficult, not too easy.

Other books:
..Amit Kalani's book
..Franceso Balena's book
..Mike Gunderloy's book
- has lot of examples

---

----70-306 -----end ---------------------------------------
------

----70-310 -----begin -------------------------------------
--------

"Learning XML, Second Edition" by Erik T. Ray
----70-310 -----end ---------------------------------------
------

----70-320 -----begin -------------------------------------
--------
Let me tell you, Kalani's book is not nearly as on the
mark for this test as it was for 70-315. I felt like I
was taking the wrong exam! Acutally, the topics were the
same but there were questions about things I had never
heard of, and I read Kalani cover to cover twice and did
every exercise and step-by-step at least once. Along with
that, most areas I read in Kalani lead to long meanderings
through MSDN and other sites on the topics and still MS
made that exam look pretty foreign.
----70-320 -----end ---------------------------------

-------70-315-------being ----------------------------
Programming C# (O'Reilly)
Microsoft self-paced training kit
Online MSDN - This is very helpful. you need to walk thru
all the important class members and tips.
---------
> Programming C# (O'Reilly)

This book by Jesse Liberty is simply awesome for people
who want to
learn the C# language itself. Unfortunately, many people
who study for
certification don't understand that there's a lot more to
C# than what
is covered on the tests. This book is very good at
explaining the OOP
aspects of C#, and the more advanced aspects of the
language.

> Microsoft self-paced training kit

This is best for people who can easily remember what they
read. I
personally like the Kalani Training Guides because they
give me lots of
small step-by-step examples. This helps me retain the info
better. I'm
a slow learner in some ways.

> Online MSDN - This is very helpful. you need to walk

thru
> all the important class members and tips.

This is a great resource, but it's got a huge scope! It's
easy to go in
looking for one thing, and get sidetracked into learning a
lot of other
things. I've spent hours in MSDN sometimes. My wife
doesn't like me
going to the MSDN site in the evening

> Test:
> Microsoft sample self test

These are very challenging, and they're more up-to-date
than the actual
tests. They're a good way to learn, but may not line up
too well with
the actual tests.

> Transender ( I wont suggest this because it is way over
> expensive.)

It is expensive, but it's good for people like me who
learn slowly.
This is a good resource because the questions are relevant,
challenging, and the answers are explained - both the
right answers and
the wrong answers.

One thing to notice: their are often a couple right
answers, but one is
considered "more right", or maybe "more efficient" than
the other
answers. You need to know the "almost right" answers, and
why they
aren't the best choice.
--------------70-315 end -------
--------------------70-305 begin ---------
Mikegundeley Training Guide

--------------------70-305 end ---------

------ASP.nET ---------begin-------------------------------
------------------------------
BrainBench tests are totally different than the real
exams.
------ASP.nET ---------end---------------------------------
-----------------------------

Advertisements:

1. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) can trade the following:

(ebook)-70-315 MCSD MCAD -- Develop & Implement Web Apps
with C#.pdf
(ebook) O'Reilly - Programming C# 2nd Edition.pdf

2. test vouchers for $10 LESS, NO TAX, FROM AMAZON
http://tinyurl.com/3eyjq

3. 07/13/2004 - Visual CertExam Sofware released Visual
CertExam Suite
1.0

07/13/2004 - Visual CertExam Sofware released Visual
CertExam Suite
1.0, a test engine designed specifically for certification
exam
preparation.

Visual CertExam Suite is a test engine designed
specifically for
certification exam preparation. It lets you create, edit
and take
practice exams in an environment very similar to the real
exam. Visual
CertExam Suite includes two applications: Visual CertExam
Designer and
Visual CertExam Manager.

Visual CertExam Designer allows you to create and edit
your own
professional practice exams. It is designed, first of all,
for authors
involved in practice exam development. The application
supports most
of the question types used in certification exams and
allows you to
work on an exam using the intuitive user interface.
Besides, the
question preview feature lets the author see exactly how
the question
will appear during the examination.

Visual CertExam Manager is designed for taking exams
created with
Visual CertExam Designer. The application interface
provides the most
realistic simulation of the real certification exam.
Flexible
examination mode settings (which can be password-protected
from
unauthorized change) make it possible to use Visual
CertExam Manager
not only for self-preparation, but also for giving
practice exams to
students in classrooms.

Visual CertExam Suite primary features:

- The most realistic certification exam simulation.
- You can work with most of the question types used in
certification
exams (Multiple Choice, Fill in the Blank, Select and
Place, Point and
Shot, Hot Area, Create a Tree, Build List and Reorder,
Drop and
Connect).
- Ability to create a case study based exams.
- The question preview feature allows the author see
exactly how a
question will appear during an examination.
- Supports question text formatting, including bullets,
numbering and
alignment.
- All exam data (including images) is stored in a single
file that
simplifies copying and distribution of created exams.
- Ability to work in a local network using file sharing.
- You can set a password for opening an exam file in
Visual CertExam
Designer to prevent unauthorized copying, editing and
printing of the
exam data.

4. Training centers in India
http://www.microsoft.com/india/train...nce/contact.as

5. http://www.getcertify4less.com/microsoft.asp

Model questions:
Q: You want to enable tracing in ASP.Net application. The
application recide at the following URL
http://srv01/app1/. you want to access the tracing
information from your browser in your office. Which one of
the follwing action should you take to add tracing the
application.

A. Add the following to the web.config
<trace enabled="true" localonly="false">
B. Add the following to the web.config
<trace enabled="true" localonly="false"
pageOutput="true">
C. Add the following to the web.config
<trace enabled="true" localonly="false"
pageOutput="false">
D. Add the following to the applications Logon.aspx file.
<%@Pgae Trace="True" %>

The correct answer suggested by the publisher is 'C'. But,
I think it should be 'B'. In one way they both are true.
Either you view it by browsing trace.axd or on the same
page you looking at you are using a browser to view it.
But, since they are not mentioning anything about
trace.axd (Or a 3rd file name at all), I think what they
meant it to view at the bottom of the page you are
currently browsing for which you have to set
the "pageOutput" to "true", hence answer B. Any other
suggessions?.

Stranger

Is the 70-305 questions adaptive or fixed format?