Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > 70-315

70-315

Willy

Just passed it today, and here is my experience:
Materials:
Programming C# (O'Reilly)
Microsoft self-paced training kit
Online MSDN - This is very helpful. you need to walk thru
all the important class members and tips.

Test:
Microsoft sample self test
Transender ( I wont suggest this because it is way over
expensive.)

Overall it took 3 weeks.

Good luck!

Eric

Willy wrote:

You must be a fast learner - which is a good thing!

> Programming C# (O'Reilly)

This book by Jesse Liberty is simply awesome for people who want to
learn the C# language itself. Unfortunately, many people who study for
certification don't understand that there's a lot more to C# than what
is covered on the tests. This book is very good at explaining the OOP
aspects of C#, and the more advanced aspects of the language.

> Microsoft self-paced training kit

This is best for people who can easily remember what they read. I
personally like the Kalani Training Guides because they give me lots of
small step-by-step examples. This helps me retain the info better. I'm
a slow learner in some ways.

> Online MSDN - This is very helpful. you need to walk thru
> all the important class members and tips.

This is a great resource, but it's got a huge scope! It's easy to go in
looking for one thing, and get sidetracked into learning a lot of other
things. I've spent hours in MSDN sometimes. My wife doesn't like me
going to the MSDN site in the evening

> Test:
> Microsoft sample self test

These are very challenging, and they're more up-to-date than the actual
tests. They're a good way to learn, but may not line up too well with
the actual tests.

> Transender ( I wont suggest this because it is way over
> expensive.)

It is expensive, but it's good for people like me who learn slowly.
This is a good resource because the questions are relevant,
challenging, and the answers are explained - both the right answers and
the wrong answers.

One thing to notice: their are often a couple right answers, but one is
considered "more right", or maybe "more efficient" than the other
answers. You need to know the "almost right" answers, and why they
aren't the best choice.

Eric

matt

i am thinking taking this exam in a couple of weeks.
does this cert (mcp) expire when asp.net 2.0 is
released? am i going to have to take this again to get
my mcad or is something you hold onto?

Eric

matt wrote:

> i am thinking taking this exam in a couple of weeks.
> does this cert (mcp) expire when asp.net 2.0 is
> released? am i going to have to take this again to get
> my mcad or is something you hold onto?

It won't expire.

The tests you completed will still be on your record forever, if I
understand it right.

Sometimes MS introduces new tests, and sometimes they have "upgrade"
tests.

This kind of thing is common in the MCSE world. You can be certified in
Win2k, WinXP, 2003, etc. They also have an "addon" qualification for
security.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS uses the new developer security tests as
an "addon" qualifification for MCSD at some future time.

Eric