Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > Question on 306 (VB.Net for Windows)

Question on 306 (VB.Net for Windows)

Jon

Hi everyone - I am new to programming and am cramming
pretty much full time to get an MCAD. I'm about ready to
schedule athe 306 exam. I've been through a couple C++
books (one .NET and one pure C++) and am now learning VB.
I'm getting pretty comfortable with coding and with some
of the .NET features, but I was wondering -- do I need to
be familiar with a lot of stuff outside of that, like
SQL, ADO and all the other acronyms, for this exam? Also,
how obscure do they get with like asking about certain
methods/properties in .net libraries? Would really help
too to know if it is generally all multiple choice??
Haven't really been able to figure that out for sure by
reading postings - do they make you write small programs
or anything? Thanks a lot!

Jon

Thanks a lot Diana - that was really helpful! I definitely might check out that Exam Cram Book - although I did already buy the MS Press study book too... C-ya

"Diana" wrote:

> Yes, you will need to know how to understand SQL queries. There are a lot of questions relating to ADO.NET and SQL - using the classes in ADO.NET to get data from a SQL database, for example.
>
> All the questions on the 70-306 test I took about 3 weeks ago were multiple choice. It was either pick one from A/B/C/D(sometimes also E/F), or pick all the corrent answers from a list.
>
> You would need to know about the methods/properties/events for the commonly used classes.
>
> I would recommend the Exam Cram 2 book for 70-306. I used that to prepare for the exam. It comes with 2 practice tests in the book, and another test on a CD. When I took the exam, many questions were very similar to the book. If you read that book through and understand it well, do well on the practice tests, you will be fine. I think it is $30 in stores, but I got it cheaper for $20 on Amazon.
>
> I read the "Visual Basic .NET Programming Step By Step" book before I read the exam-specific book, because I am also very new to VB, so that book helps you get exposed to it, learn different syntax, etc. But if you already feel pretty familiar with how to write code in VB, you wouldn't need to read that too.
>

> "Jon" wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone - I am new to programming and am cramming
> > pretty much full time to get an MCAD. I'm about ready to
> > schedule athe 306 exam. I've been through a couple C++
> > books (one .NET and one pure C++) and am now learning VB.
> > I'm getting pretty comfortable with coding and with some
> > of the .NET features, but I was wondering -- do I need to
> > be familiar with a lot of stuff outside of that, like
> > SQL, ADO and all the other acronyms, for this exam? Also,
> > how obscure do they get with like asking about certain
> > methods/properties in .net libraries? Would really help
> > too to know if it is generally all multiple choice??
> > Haven't really been able to figure that out for sure by
> > reading postings - do they make you write small programs
> > or anything? Thanks a lot!

Sharon

I also recommend the Transcendor practice test in addition
to the Exam Cram book. I found both helpful.