Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > is it worth it?

Reply
Thread Tools

is it worth it?

 
 
Arzen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-10-2004
i am trying to decide if i should pursue this
certification. does anyone on this board have personal
experience or know someone who can attribute MCAD for
getting a callback or a development job? any input would
be appreciated.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
bb
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-10-2004
Arzen wrote:

> i am trying to decide if i should pursue this
> certification. does anyone on this board have personal
> experience or know someone who can attribute MCAD for
> getting a callback or a development job? any input would
> be appreciated.


of course it helps. i mean to suggest that having proved your are of a
specific standard, certified by an examination process does not help
when applying for jobs is crazy.

now, passing exams does not make you a better coder, sure anyone can
cram. but it is definately better to have, than not.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
homer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-10-2004
For over two month times, I "collected" job leads from North CA, CT and IL/MO/KS area. I have not see a single lead that listed MCAD as preferable status to have. Of those about 15 interviews, none question was asked about any certificate. I have to brint it up couple times, and the interviewers seem show no interest.
I think you are better off by spending the time to build a web site showing how to make the db calls, how to authenticate, how to use OOP, etc.
I will say one thing positive about the time spent for exam preperation. You are forced to cover every base of the subject area. That knowledge is not available even through real world experience. I mean you need to stay in the field for a long time to get your hand araound all of these.
But again it is too bad that the potential employer does not see any value in the process.

"bb" wrote:

> Arzen wrote:
>
> > i am trying to decide if i should pursue this
> > certification. does anyone on this board have personal
> > experience or know someone who can attribute MCAD for
> > getting a callback or a development job? any input would
> > be appreciated.

>
> of course it helps. i mean to suggest that having proved your are of a
> specific standard, certified by an examination process does not help
> when applying for jobs is crazy.
>
> now, passing exams does not make you a better coder, sure anyone can
> cram. but it is definately better to have, than not.
>
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Sean
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2004


I do find that story believable, its frustrating when employers don’t understand the value of certifications or even former education for that matter.
I am going to get MCAD anyway because a lot of my college course work is going to cover it anyway. I could also do MCSA given the course work but I am really not interested.

Most of the college course work for IST is a joke, but I have to do it anyway so I might as well go the extra mile..

"homer" wrote:

> For over two month times, I "collected" job leads from North CA, CT and IL/MO/KS area. I have not see a single lead that listed MCAD as preferable status to have. Of those about 15 interviews, none question was asked about any certificate. I have to brint it up couple times, and the interviewers seem show no interest.
> I think you are better off by spending the time to build a web site showing how to make the db calls, how to authenticate, how to use OOP, etc.
> I will say one thing positive about the time spent for exam preperation. You are forced to cover every base of the subject area. That knowledge is not available even through real world experience. I mean you need to stay in the field for a long time to get your hand araound all of these.
> But again it is too bad that the potential employer does not see any value in the process.
>
> "bb" wrote:
>
> > Arzen wrote:
> >
> > > i am trying to decide if i should pursue this
> > > certification. does anyone on this board have personal
> > > experience or know someone who can attribute MCAD for
> > > getting a callback or a development job? any input would
> > > be appreciated.

> >
> > of course it helps. i mean to suggest that having proved your are of a
> > specific standard, certified by an examination process does not help
> > when applying for jobs is crazy.
> >
> > now, passing exams does not make you a better coder, sure anyone can
> > cram. but it is definately better to have, than not.
> >
> >
> >
> >

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tom Porterfield
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2004
homer wrote:
> For over two month times, I "collected" job leads from North CA, CT and IL/MO/KS area. I have not see a single lead that listed MCAD as preferable status to have. Of those about 15 interviews, none question was asked about any certificate. I have to brint it up couple times, and the interviewers seem show no interest.
> I think you are better off by spending the time to build a web site showing how to make the db calls, how to authenticate, how to use OOP, etc.
> I will say one thing positive about the time spent for exam preperation. You are forced to cover every base of the subject area. That knowledge is not available even through real world experience. I mean you need to stay in the field for a long time to get your hand araound all of these.
> But again it is too bad that the potential employer does not see any value in the process.


In my opinion, anybody can take an exam and pass it. Having a
certification is no substitute for good in-depth experience. But having
the certification shows that you have the perserverence to see something
through to the end, and you had to pick up some knowledge along the way.

So discussion of this may not come up once you are actually in the
interview, but it likely weighs in your favor as to whether or not you
actually got the interview to begin with.
--
Tom Porterfield
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worth buying modem router? =?Utf-8?B?QmFkQW5nbGVy?= Wireless Networking 2 07-05-2005 02:33 PM
How much is Bill worth right now? Me_and_you ASP .Net 18 02-12-2005 03:21 AM
Market worth? Nickolas Microsoft Certification 2 12-10-2004 12:06 AM
Is it worth it? Russ McKenna ASP .Net 5 12-06-2003 06:47 PM
MCSE Cert. Is it still worth it? Dominique Feteau Microsoft Certification 3 11-05-2003 08:43 PM



Advertisments