Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > Sensitivity

Sensitivity

Jackie

Being that we are all working towards a professional
certification, I will assume that we are all intelligent,
upstanding people. There are people here who are from
countries around the world and some of these other
professionals are not native speakers or writers of the
English language. English is very difficult to learn
because of the intricacies of the language and some
languages just don't translate literally. Let's show our
sensitivities and respect for others, as professional as
we are, by not nitpicking these posts for proper English.
It doesn't take long to realize that when someone writes
he is going to 'give' an exam, we know he means 'take'
or 'sit for' the exam. I'm sure they are doing the best
they can to be clear to us.

Jackie, MCAD for Microsoft .NET

Mike

Couldn't agree more.

When chastising someone for using 'write' when they
mean 'take' just makes you look like the stupid fool you
are. Anyone with half a brain can figure out what they
mean.

-Mike

DalePres

"Write" vs "take" is not an issue of language; it's an issue of grammar.
Many native English speakers say they are going to "write" an exam or say
that they completed the "paper." Microsoft writes exams. We take them.
They're all done on the computer. There is no paper other than the score
sheet at the end.

My comment was not motivated by the nationality of the person who said he
(or she) was going to write an exam. I do not have any way of knowing who
that person is or what his or her nationality is.

You folks could take a lesson from your own book. Don't take yourselves or
all of this too seriously.

By the way. Sitting for the exam is assumed and doesn't have to be stated.
As far as I am aware, unless there's an ADA issue involved, standing for a
certification exam is not allowed.

Dale

news:558d01c42d26$ddb8a7d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Couldn't agree more.
>
> When chastising someone for using 'write' when they
> mean 'take' just makes you look like the stupid fool you
> are. Anyone with half a brain can figure out what they
> mean.
>
> -Mike

Jackie

Dale,
why is it that you can write such a long response to us,
yet you wrote such a flippant response to someone who you
obviously understood? Why not just respond to the stated
question, instead of trying to belittle the person who in
your opinion, used improper grammer? You seem to have
understood what he meant.

About 'sit for' an exam. Dale, that is a well-known term
used to mean 'take an exam'. Do a quick internet search
on 'sit for' 'exam'. You'll see it everywhere. Sure it
does not need to be stated that one will literally 'sit'
for this exam. In fact, not all exams involves one sitting
for the entire time. Really. You are not required to sit
down for a ms exam. You can kneel down if you want to and
you can stand up too. Hell you can use a combination of
them all, but figuratively speaking you are still sitting
for the exam, i.e. taking the darn thing.

Jackie, MCAD for Microsoft .NET

message
>news:558d01c42d26$ddb8a7d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Couldn't agree more.
>>
>> When chastising someone for using 'write' when they
>> mean 'take' just makes you look like the stupid fool you
>> are. Anyone with half a brain can figure out what they
>> mean.
>>
>> -Mike

DalePres

I'm sure you meant grammar and not grammer; correct?

Dale

"Jackie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:689001c42ec2$80b8e2f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dale,
> why is it that you can write such a long response to us,
> yet you wrote such a flippant response to someone who you
> obviously understood? Why not just respond to the stated
> question, instead of trying to belittle the person who in
> your opinion, used improper grammer? You seem to have
> understood what he meant.
>
> About 'sit for' an exam. Dale, that is a well-known term
> used to mean 'take an exam'. Do a quick internet search
> on 'sit for' 'exam'. You'll see it everywhere. Sure it
> does not need to be stated that one will literally 'sit'
> for this exam. In fact, not all exams involves one sitting
> for the entire time. Really. You are not required to sit
> down for a ms exam. You can kneel down if you want to and
> you can stand up too. Hell you can use a combination of
> them all, but figuratively speaking you are still sitting
> for the exam, i.e. taking the darn thing.
>
> Jackie, MCAD for Microsoft .NET

case sensitivity for Thunderbird message filter Maleki Firefox 1 08-26-2004 06:26 AM
Thunderbird Message Filter Case Sensitivity Maleki Firefox 0 08-16-2004 02:48 PM
sensitivity list Eqbal VHDL 2 11-18-2003 10:51 PM
custom types in process sensitivity list Roger Dahl VHDL 10 10-03-2003 09:03 PM
Are all the signals read in the process should appear in the sensitivity list of the process? walala VHDL 3 09-09-2003 07:47 AM

Advertisments