Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > How specific

How specific

Dean

Kalani's 70-316 book has a question kind of like this:
"Your RichTextBox control won't display the horizontal
scroll bar, even though you have set scroll bars =
ForceBoth. Why not?" The answer is that the horizontal
scrollbar won't display if word wrap is on.

Ok, so I read this, and think: This is a pretty obscure
little behavior. Do I need to know this level of detail
to pass this exam? There are about 40 controls, averaging
20 properties on each, so that's thousands of little
nuggets I'm going to have to memorize. And that's just
one chapter.

Or is it more like "What control can be used to display
word-processor like behavior, with text decorations,
etc.". Or is it somewhere in between, like "What property
of the RichTextBox will return the string with all the
formatting codes in it?

Regards,

Dean

Grant

I'd say this level of knowledge would be asked by
including the relevant source code. And in that source
code they'd explicitly set wrap on, and that would be
your clue to the answer. Something along those lines.
It's about being able to think logically and apply the
knowledge, rather than repeating it parrot fashion.

Now that I've done a number of exams, I feel that they're
really quite good at identifying competency levels. If
you can't pass the exams, it's unlikely you could produce
quality code. *Not that passing means you can produce
quality code! There are too many cowboys out there,
strutting around with their cowboy hats tilted and their
spurs a-rattling.

Grant
MCSD for .NET