Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > Is MCAD cert necessary for my situation?

Is MCAD cert necessary for my situation?

Lance

Hi all,
I am a fresh computer engineering degree holder. Currently, I am looking for
a job in IT area, specifically software development.

Going through the job recuitment advertisements for a few weeks, most of the
minimum requirements (for fresh graudate!) are profiency in skills like C++,
..Net framework, J2EE, XML, HTML etc. etc.

By then, I realized that the programming tool/languages covered in
university are diverse, not so in depth and even outdated. Those in-depth
stuffs are mostly conceptual and very abstract like Algorithms, Discrete
Maths, Data Structures etc.

Are MCAD or MCSD courses & certificates a necessity for ppl like me? Please
advice.

Thanks,
Lance.

Hermit Dave

Lance,

MCAD or MCSD or Java Cert.. any cert as a matter of fact are to show that
you have hands on experience and in-depth knowledge... they cover areas
which deal in practical situations and having experience would help. Not
that you cant do without it.. you can but take your time.... and try not to
mix c++ and .NET and J2EE... you can but they represent different
programming practices... ie the way you program in c++ is way different from
the way you do it in .Net... unless you are planning to work on migration
projects... like c++ to .net...

yes they all give you good knowledge of OOPS but what you can and how is
different
--
Regads,

HD

PS: It's all a state of mind...

"Lance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> I am a fresh computer engineering degree holder. Currently, I am looking

for
> a job in IT area, specifically software development.
>
> Going through the job recuitment advertisements for a few weeks, most of

the
> minimum requirements (for fresh graudate!) are profiency in skills like

C++,
> .Net framework, J2EE, XML, HTML etc. etc.
>
> By then, I realized that the programming tool/languages covered in
> university are diverse, not so in depth and even outdated. Those in-depth
> stuffs are mostly conceptual and very abstract like Algorithms, Discrete
> Maths, Data Structures etc.
>
> Are MCAD or MCSD courses & certificates a necessity for ppl like me?

Please
> advice.
>
> Thanks,
> Lance.

Lance

Thank you Hermit for your informative advices.

Btw, I have some foundation and pratical experience in C and Visual Basic,
and basic Object Oriented knowledge. I am now very interested in upgrading
those skills, but in jobless state now, is it worth to stay jobless and
invest another 3-4 months attending MCAD/MCSD courses and earning the
certificates?

Thanks,
Lance.

"Hermit Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lance,
>
> MCAD or MCSD or Java Cert.. any cert as a matter of fact are to show that
> you have hands on experience and in-depth knowledge... they cover areas
> which deal in practical situations and having experience would help. Not
> that you cant do without it.. you can but take your time.... and try not

> mix c++ and .NET and J2EE... you can but they represent different
> programming practices... ie the way you program in c++ is way different

from
> the way you do it in .Net... unless you are planning to work on migration
> projects... like c++ to .net...
>
> yes they all give you good knowledge of OOPS but what you can and how is
> different
> --
> Regads,
>
> HD
>

> PS: It's all a state of mind...
>
> "Lance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> > I am a fresh computer engineering degree holder. Currently, I am looking

> for
> > a job in IT area, specifically software development.
> >
> > Going through the job recuitment advertisements for a few weeks, most of

> the
> > minimum requirements (for fresh graudate!) are profiency in skills like

> C++,
> > .Net framework, J2EE, XML, HTML etc. etc.
> >
> > By then, I realized that the programming tool/languages covered in
> > university are diverse, not so in depth and even outdated. Those

in-depth
> > stuffs are mostly conceptual and very abstract like Algorithms, Discrete
> > Maths, Data Structures etc.
> >
> > Are MCAD or MCSD courses & certificates a necessity for ppl like me?

> Please
> > advice.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Lance.

Hermit Dave

Hello Lance,

Yes ofcourse doing something is better than nothing, You might join some
courses or you might try learning on your own.
Make urself some decent project and that would involve a lot of areas... yes
i will be slow but what you learn would be hands on.
Courses mostly involve a lot of cram sessions and if you have sort of
practical work on the side... it would probably aid you in job search and
also your certifications if you decide to do some.
..Net is going well in the job market... C++ would get you a job but only if
you have proper experience...
Good luck with it and your job search.

--
Regards,

HD

"Lance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23gM$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you Hermit for your informative advices.
>
> Btw, I have some foundation and pratical experience in C and Visual Basic,
> and basic Object Oriented knowledge. I am now very interested in upgrading
> those skills, but in jobless state now, is it worth to stay jobless and
> invest another 3-4 months attending MCAD/MCSD courses and earning the
> certificates?
>
> Thanks,
> Lance.
>
> "Hermit Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Lance,
> >
> > MCAD or MCSD or Java Cert.. any cert as a matter of fact are to show

that
> > you have hands on experience and in-depth knowledge... they cover areas
> > which deal in practical situations and having experience would help. Not
> > that you cant do without it.. you can but take your time.... and try not

> > mix c++ and .NET and J2EE... you can but they represent different
> > programming practices... ie the way you program in c++ is way different

> from
> > the way you do it in .Net... unless you are planning to work on

migration
> > projects... like c++ to .net...
> >
> > yes they all give you good knowledge of OOPS but what you can and how is
> > different
> > --
> > Regads,
> >
> > HD
> >

> > PS: It's all a state of mind...
> >
> > "Lance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi all,
> > > I am a fresh computer engineering degree holder. Currently, I am

looking
> > for
> > > a job in IT area, specifically software development.
> > >
> > > Going through the job recuitment advertisements for a few weeks, most

of
> > the
> > > minimum requirements (for fresh graudate!) are profiency in skills

like
> > C++,
> > > .Net framework, J2EE, XML, HTML etc. etc.
> > >
> > > By then, I realized that the programming tool/languages covered in
> > > university are diverse, not so in depth and even outdated. Those

> in-depth
> > > stuffs are mostly conceptual and very abstract like Algorithms,

Discrete
> > > Maths, Data Structures etc.
> > >
> > > Are MCAD or MCSD courses & certificates a necessity for ppl like me?

> > Please
> > > advice.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Lance.

Neel

Lance,

We both are sailing in the same boat. I'm also a freshly
graduate in computer science (not to mention i'm jobless
too) but i'm just done with my paid internship as a
software developer for .net. My internship lasted for 5
months (as it was just a projecy based and i'm done with
my project) However, company was looking for MCAD and
MCSD certified ppl. At that point i understood the
importance and noiw i'm shooting for MCAD so i STRONGLY
STRONGLY STRONGLY sugesst you that you should invest your
time for MCAD and i'm sure u'll also come out with flying
colors. = : )

Good Luck....

Neel.

wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Lance,
>>
>> MCAD or MCSD or Java Cert.. any cert as a matter of

fact are to show that
>> you have hands on experience and in-depth knowledge...

they cover areas
>> which deal in practical situations and having

experience would help. Not
>> that you cant do without it.. you can but take your

time.... and try not
>> mix c++ and .NET and J2EE... you can but they

represent different
>> programming practices... ie the way you program in c++

is way different
>from
>> the way you do it in .Net... unless you are planning

to work on migration
>> projects... like c++ to .net...
>>
>> yes they all give you good knowledge of OOPS but what

you can and how is
>> different
>> --
>> Regads,
>>
>> HD
>>

>> PS: It's all a state of mind...
>>
>> "Lance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi all,
>> > I am a fresh computer engineering degree holder.

Currently, I am looking
>> for
>> > a job in IT area, specifically software development.
>> >
>> > Going through the job recuitment advertisements for

a few weeks, most of
>> the
>> > minimum requirements (for fresh graudate!) are

profiency in skills like
>> C++,
>> > .Net framework, J2EE, XML, HTML etc. etc.
>> >
>> > By then, I realized that the programming

tool/languages covered in
>> > university are diverse, not so in depth and even

outdated. Those
>in-depth
>> > stuffs are mostly conceptual and very abstract like

Algorithms, Discrete
>> > Maths, Data Structures etc.
>> >
>> > Are MCAD or MCSD courses & certificates a necessity

for ppl like me?
>> Please
>> > advice.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Lance.
>> >

>.

Lance

Neel and HD,

Thank you all for your encouragement and very helpful advises. They really
help me a lot in planning for my next step. I am now more informed and more
interested in this certification and other advance one like MCSD.

Oops... questions just popped... this is for everyone in this newsgroup:
Is there an expiry for this certification?
How long the certificate will be valid from the time we passed the exams?

Thanks again,
Lance.

"Neel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:043801c3cd17$13812b00$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lance,
>
> We both are sailing in the same boat. I'm also a freshly
> graduate in computer science (not to mention i'm jobless
> too) but i'm just done with my paid internship as a
> software developer for .net. My internship lasted for 5
> months (as it was just a projecy based and i'm done with
> my project) However, company was looking for MCAD and
> MCSD certified ppl. At that point i understood the
> importance and noiw i'm shooting for MCAD so i STRONGLY
> STRONGLY STRONGLY sugesst you that you should invest your
> time for MCAD and i'm sure u'll also come out with flying
> colors. = : )
>
> Good Luck....
>
> Neel.

Hermit Dave

You are welcome lance,

Expiry for certification is year after the exams are discontinued....
consider this... right now 1.1 is mature enough but we would still see some
changes in year or two.... and if those changes are drastic.. then you would
have new exams.... otherwise... you will be fine.... dont worry it always
haunts everyone around.... i have had my MCSD expire in past and they give
you an year to upgrade to new certification...

--
Regards,

HD

"Lance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Neel and HD,
>
> Thank you all for your encouragement and very helpful advises. They really
> help me a lot in planning for my next step. I am now more informed and

more
> interested in this certification and other advance one like MCSD.
>
> Oops... questions just popped... this is for everyone in this newsgroup:
> Is there an expiry for this certification?
> How long the certificate will be valid from the time we passed the exams?
>
> Thanks again,
> Lance.
>
> "Neel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:043801c3cd17$13812b00$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Lance,
> >
> > We both are sailing in the same boat. I'm also a freshly
> > graduate in computer science (not to mention i'm jobless
> > too) but i'm just done with my paid internship as a
> > software developer for .net. My internship lasted for 5
> > months (as it was just a projecy based and i'm done with
> > my project) However, company was looking for MCAD and
> > MCSD certified ppl. At that point i understood the
> > importance and noiw i'm shooting for MCAD so i STRONGLY
> > STRONGLY STRONGLY sugesst you that you should invest your
> > time for MCAD and i'm sure u'll also come out with flying
> > colors. = : )
> >
> > Good Luck....
> >
> > Neel.

Cindy Winegarden

In news: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
Lance <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ...Is there an expiry for this certification?
> How long the certificate will be valid from the time we passed the
> exams?

Hi Lance,

"Microsoft Revamps Its IT Certification Program to Meet Customer Needs"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/pr...s/default.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/hi...nnouncefaq.asp
Why did Microsoft change its certification policy?

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsd/faq.asp
Will Microsoft be discontinuing the current MCSD exams?

(E-Mail Removed) www.cindywinegarden.com

Lance

Thanks again, HD!

"Hermit Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> You are welcome lance,
>
> Expiry for certification is year after the exams are discontinued....
> consider this... right now 1.1 is mature enough but we would still see

some
> changes in year or two.... and if those changes are drastic.. then you

would
> have new exams.... otherwise... you will be fine.... dont worry it always
> haunts everyone around.... i have had my MCSD expire in past and they give
> you an year to upgrade to new certification...
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> HD
>
> "Lance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Neel and HD,
> >
> > Thank you all for your encouragement and very helpful advises. They

really
> > help me a lot in planning for my next step. I am now more informed and

> more
> > interested in this certification and other advance one like MCSD.
> >
> > Oops... questions just popped... this is for everyone in this newsgroup:
> > Is there an expiry for this certification?
> > How long the certificate will be valid from the time we passed the

exams?

> > Thanks again,
> > Lance.
> >
> > "Neel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:043801c3cd17$13812b00$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Lance,
> > >
> > > We both are sailing in the same boat. I'm also a freshly
> > > graduate in computer science (not to mention i'm jobless
> > > too) but i'm just done with my paid internship as a
> > > software developer for .net. My internship lasted for 5
> > > months (as it was just a projecy based and i'm done with
> > > my project) However, company was looking for MCAD and
> > > MCSD certified ppl. At that point i understood the
> > > importance and noiw i'm shooting for MCAD so i STRONGLY
> > > STRONGLY STRONGLY sugesst you that you should invest your
> > > time for MCAD and i'm sure u'll also come out with flying
> > > colors. = : )
> > >
> > > Good Luck....
> > >
> > > Neel.

Lance

Thanks Cindy,

I've browsed through the sites you provided...even your homepage
Those sites really provide all the details i need..Thanks!

Lance.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...