Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wake on LAN "REMOTE WAKE"???

Wake on LAN "REMOTE WAKE"???

HotRod

I have a wireless monitor that connects to the computer using remote
services, it works great except for the fact that I need to go to my
basement first and then start my PC. I seem to have several option son my
PC network card but don't understand all of them. APM etc. I've been able to
get the computer to WAKE when the monitor tries to connect to it but the
problem I'm having is that the computer also WAKEs when no one is within a
mile of it. What are the minimal options I need to turn on in order to wake
the computer?

Also will it wake the computer from "shutdown" or just hibernation and
standby?

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi
WOL has the work with Shut Down.

May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/WOL.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"HotRod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eB8y$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a wireless monitor that connects to the computer using remote
> services, it works great except for the fact that I need to go to my
> basement first and then start my PC. I seem to have several option son my
> PC network card but don't understand all of them. APM etc. I've been able to
> get the computer to WAKE when the monitor tries to connect to it but the
> problem I'm having is that the computer also WAKEs when no one is within a
> mile of it. What are the minimal options I need to turn on in order to wake
> the computer?
>
> Also will it wake the computer from "shutdown" or just hibernation and
> standby?

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

How exactly you set this computer for wake?
Wrt. wake-on LAN (WOL): not all netcards have this feature.
It is most common in wired PCI ethernet cards but hardly is supported in
WLAN cards, especially cheap ones.
Also Windows does not support WOL for any USB and Cardbus devices.

Regards,
--PA

"HotRod" wrote:

> I have a wireless monitor that connects to the computer using remote
> services, it works great except for the fact that I need to go to my
> basement first and then start my PC. I seem to have several option son my
> PC network card but don't understand all of them. APM etc. I've been able to
> get the computer to WAKE when the monitor tries to connect to it but the
> problem I'm having is that the computer also WAKEs when no one is within a
> mile of it. What are the minimal options I need to turn on in order to wake
> the computer?
>
> Also will it wake the computer from "shutdown" or just hibernation and
> standby?

HotRod

I have a (Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC) network card that
I am doing research on to see if it works. Like I said sometimes it seems to
work but other times it won't. I think when I have
ARP/PING, Link Change, and APM Mode ENABLED and only put the computer in
Standby it will work. BUT only sometimes. Unfortunately the computer also
just randomly starts back up.

Pavel

Thre are two models of of this network card:

RTL8139 does not support WOL
RTL8139A does support WOL

For more detail see Q0823 at
http://www.realtek.com.tw/faqs/faqs1...qcatid=2002084

--
Pavel (the other one)

"HotRod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a (Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC) network card that
>I am doing research on to see if it works. Like I said sometimes it seems
>to work but other times it won't. I think when I have
> ARP/PING, Link Change, and APM Mode ENABLED and only put the computer in
> Standby it will work. BUT only sometimes. Unfortunately the computer also
> just randomly starts back up.

HotRod

I'm not sure how to tell whether I have the 8139A or just the 8139

atec

HotRod wrote:
> I'm not sure how to tell whether I have the 8139A or just the 8139

It should be writtin on the chips

HotRod

IS there anyway to tell without opening the PC?

Malke

HotRod wrote:

> IS there anyway to tell without opening the PC?

A really good system inventory program (free) is Everest Home Edition
from Lavalys here:

http://www.lavalys.com/products/over...?pid=1&lang=en

Malke
--