Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Slipstream SP3 help please

Slipstream SP3 help please

Mike Stalwartik

I've read how to slipstream SP3 but it just make sense to me. My eyes aren't
what they used to be so your help would be very much appreciated. I've tried
following the instructions but without success.

Can someone take the time simply to list the process in bullet point format,
it would be so much easier.

Also I have been advised to look at XUbuntu as an alternative option - does
anyone use that? Would that be a better option for me?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Stalwartik

Mike Stalwartik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed) ow.poiuel:

> I've read how to slipstream SP3 but it just make sense to me. My eyes

I meant to say "it makes no sense" - sorry, it's my brain as well as my
eyes.

> aren't what they used to be so your help would be very much
> appreciated. I've tried following the instructions but without
> success.
>
> Can someone take the time simply to list the process in bullet point
> format, it would be so much easier.
>
> Also I have been advised to look at XUbuntu as an alternative option
> - does anyone use that? Would that be a better option for me?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mike Stalwartik wrote:

> Also I have been advised to look at XUbuntu as an alternative option -
> does anyone use that? Would that be a better option for me?

Xubuntu is more-or-less designed for machines with 'lesser' hardware. If
you have 256MB of ram or more, why not try Ubuntu instead? I'd recommend
the 8.04 LTS Desktop version, rather than the cutting edge 8.10. LTS
means Long Term Support. Link here:

http://ubuntu.com/
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Look through the download pages, find a mirror, download the ISO file
and burn a CD. Then you can boot from this LiveCD and test it out
without making any changes to your current system.

--
-bts

Desk Rabbit

Mike Stalwartik wrote:
> I've read how to slipstream SP3 but it just make sense to me. My eyes aren't
> what they used to be so your help would be very much appreciated. I've tried
> following the instructions but without success.

This sounds like one of those questions that needs another question,
What exactly are you trying to achieve and why have you chosen this
particular route?

If you have an existing install of XP, just apply SP3
If you are doing a new install, just install and then apply SP3
I can only think of two instances where you would want to have a
slipstreamed XP install disk with SP3 and that would be if you regularly
re-install or you are a system builder.

> Also I have been advised to look at XUbuntu as an alternative option - does
> anyone use that? Would that be a better option for me?

I doubt that anyone here could tell you whether a completely different
operating system would suit you as we have no information of your
requirements, your hardware or the software you want to use.

why?

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 22:34:02 +1000, Mike Stalwartik wrote:

>I've read how to slipstream SP3 but it just make sense to me. My eyes aren't
>what they used to be so your help would be very much appreciated. I've tried
>following the instructions but without success.

Which instructions? Where did you get stuck?

>Can someone take the time simply to list the process in bullet point format,
>it would be so much easier.

There are already many sites with instructions on how to do this?
Another set would help how? Not knowing what was the problem means no
way of working around it. Was it too many steps, too detailed, not
enough detail?

>Also I have been advised to look at XUbuntu as an alternative option - does

As an alternative to do what? Sure it's a different OS but ....

>anyone use that? Would that be a better option for me?

Me

chuckcar

"Mike Stalwartik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ow.poiuel:

> I've read how to slipstream SP3 but it just make sense to me. My eyes
> aren't what they used to be so your help would be very much appreciated.
> I've tried following the instructions but without success.
>
> Can someone take the time simply to list the process in bullet point
> format, it would be so much easier.
>
> Also I have been advised to look at XUbuntu as an alternative option -
> does anyone use that? Would that be a better option for me?

Ubuntu is the name for a distribution of linux. Or in other words a free
version of unix. Unless you have used and upgraded/maintained linux before
or have someone willing to set up and maintain wine for you under linix,
this might not be the best choice.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

VanguardLH

Mike Stalwartik wrote:

> I've read how to slipstream SP3 but it just make sense to me. My eyes aren't
> what they used to be so your help would be very much appreciated. I've tried
> following the instructions but without success.
>
> Can someone take the time simply to list the process in bullet point format,
> it would be so much easier.
>
> Also I have been advised to look at XUbuntu as an alternative option - does
> anyone use that? Would that be a better option for me?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Use nLite. Automates the process of slipstreaming service packs and
drivers into an updated Windows install CD.

http://www.nliteos.com/

Evan Platt

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 18:17:05 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> Also I have been advised to look at XUbuntu as an alternative option -
>> does anyone use that? Would that be a better option for me?
>>

>Ubuntu is the name for a distribution of linux. Or in other words a free
>version of unix. Unless you have used and upgraded/maintained linux before
>or have someone willing to set up and maintain wine for you under linix,
>this might not be the best choice.

And the OP asked about XUBUNTU.

If you don't have a clue what you're talking about, kindly STFU.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

wrote:

>I've read how to slipstream SP3 but it just make sense to me. My eyes aren't
>what they used to be so your help would be very much appreciated. I've tried
>following the instructions but without success.
>
>Can someone take the time simply to list the process in bullet point format,
>it would be so much easier.
>
>Also I have been advised to look at XUbuntu as an alternative option - does
>anyone use that? Would that be a better option for me?
>
>Thanks in advance.

If you are using a corporate version of XP, I can send you an XP
slipstreamed to SP3.

Highly unlikely that you do, but just in case.

--

Real sounding story about a UFO or a deorbiting streetlight
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2108149.ece

doS

google nlite