Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cannot install Win XP - SP3

Cannot install Win XP - SP3

walter

Despite having followed every step as per

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

I keep getting this same error message when attempting to install XP (home)
SP3;

Name of Update Package
Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the
Cryptographic service is running on this computer.

This machine is an old Dell Dimension 4400
20GB
512 RAM

I've been at this so long I even started from scratch with the original
reinstall CD (XP -SP1) so yes, this disk belongs to this PC.

Everything starts out fine. Updates to SP2, downloads and installs all
updates there, but as soon as it comes time to install SP3, It hits the
wall.

Again, I've tried every 'solution' offered in the link above to no avail.
Stopped and started services, un/re registered .dlls, Emptied the contents
of the downloaded updates and let them reinstall, etc.

Any possible solutions NOT covered in that link would be most appeciated.

Peeassha

"walter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gk2u10$rr5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Despite having followed every step as per
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>
> I keep getting this same error message when attempting to install XP
> (home) SP3;
>
> Name of Update Package
> Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the
> Cryptographic service is running on this computer.
>
> This machine is an old Dell Dimension 4400
> 20GB
> 512 RAM
>
> I've been at this so long I even started from scratch with the original
> reinstall CD (XP -SP1) so yes, this disk belongs to this PC.
>
> Everything starts out fine. Updates to SP2, downloads and installs all
> updates there, but as soon as it comes time to install SP3, It hits the
> wall.
>
> Again, I've tried every 'solution' offered in the link above to no avail.
> Stopped and started services, un/re registered .dlls, Emptied the
> contents of the downloaded updates and let them reinstall, etc.
>
> Any possible solutions NOT covered in that link would be most appeciated.

Format the mother then slipstream SP3 into the windows XP cd. If it doesn't
fit use a dvd. Then install the tepid ****.

walter

Peeassha wrote:
> "walter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gk2u10$rr5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Despite having followed every step as per
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>>
>> I keep getting this same error message when attempting to install XP
>> (home) SP3;
>>
>> Name of Update Package
>> Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make
>> sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer.
>>
>> This machine is an old Dell Dimension 4400
>> 20GB
>> 512 RAM
>>
>> I've been at this so long I even started from scratch with the
>> original reinstall CD (XP -SP1) so yes, this disk belongs to this PC.
>>
>> Everything starts out fine. Updates to SP2, downloads and installs
>> all updates there, but as soon as it comes time to install SP3, It
>> hits the wall.
>>
>> Again, I've tried every 'solution' offered in the link above to no
>> avail. Stopped and started services, un/re registered .dlls, Emptied the
>> contents of the downloaded updates and let them
>> reinstall, etc. Any possible solutions NOT covered in that link would be
>> most
>> appeciated.

> Format the mother then slipstream SP3 into the windows XP cd. If it
> doesn't fit use a dvd. Then install the tepid ****.

Tried it.

While I was formatting the machine I am about to throw through the wall, I
used it's original XP installation disk along with nLite to slipstream SP3.
No sweat. nLite worked perfectly. Tried to boot the ****er from the
original machine after it finished formatting and it just sat there. It
didn't 'see' the slipstreamed disk. The machine I created it on 'sees' it
just fine? I thought it didn't matter what machine you created the
slipstream on, so long as you use the ORIGINAL disk for the machine you want
to install TO, when you create the disk.

Desk Rabbit

walter wrote:
> Despite having followed every step as per
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>
> I keep getting this same error message when attempting to install XP (home)
> SP3;
>
> Name of Update Package
> Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the
> Cryptographic service is running on this computer.
>
> This machine is an old Dell Dimension 4400
> 20GB
> 512 RAM

I'd start by putting more RAM in if you want to do anything other than
look at the desktop wallpaper.

walter

Desk Rabbit wrote:

> walter wrote:
>> Despite having followed every step as per
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>>
>> I keep getting this same error message when attempting to install XP
>> (home) SP3;
>>
>> Name of Update Package
>> Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make
>> sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer.
>>
>> This machine is an old Dell Dimension 4400
>> 20GB
>> 512 RAM

> I'd start by putting more RAM in if you want to do anything other than
> look at the desktop wallpaper.

512 is more than sufficient for this machine.

If anybody's still interested the problem was the HDD. After my
'unattended' slipstreamed (SP3) disk failed and the original disk (SP1)
balked at installing SP3 I went for one more format using the original disk,
but paid closer attention this time. After the format was done but before
the install began, a blue screen popped up saying [paraphrasing] 'This disk
has a problem and needs to be checked.' At that point it went thru a series
of 3 steps during which it found and supposedly corrected quite a few
things. Once again it loaded the OS, allowed me to update all the way
through to SP2 but crapped out with the same error when I tried to install
SP3, all from the Windows Update site. The HDD was over 5 years old and
only 20GB so I went to Staples and grabbed a new one. Popped it in, threw
in my slipstreamed XP3 CD and it installed without a hitch. WHY Windows
Update would allow everything up to SP3 to be installed (and work perfectly)
on the old HDD is beyond me. But that's the only thing I changed, and the
problem is resolved.

Desk Rabbit

walter wrote:
> Desk Rabbit wrote:
>
>> walter wrote:
>>> Despite having followed every step as per
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>>>
>>> I keep getting this same error message when attempting to install XP
>>> (home) SP3;
>>>
>>> Name of Update Package
>>> Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make
>>> sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer.
>>>
>>> This machine is an old Dell Dimension 4400
>>> 20GB
>>> 512 RAM

>> I'd start by putting more RAM in if you want to do anything other than
>> look at the desktop wallpaper.

> 512 is more than sufficient for this machine.

ROFL!

walter

Desk Rabbit wrote:

> walter wrote:
>> Desk Rabbit wrote:

>>> I'd start by putting more RAM in if you want to do anything other
>>> than look at the desktop wallpaper.

>> 512 is more than sufficient for this machine.

> ROFL!

How much more RAM would you suggest I install on an ancient spare machine
that sits in my network doing nothing 99.9% of the time?

Like a third-string quarterback on a football team, it's a backup for the
backup. It only gets to play in an emergency.

Desk Rabbit

walter wrote:
> Desk Rabbit wrote:
>
>> walter wrote:

>>> 512 is more than sufficient for this machine.

>> ROFL!

> How much more RAM would you suggest I install on an ancient spare machine
> that sits in my network doing nothing 99.9% of the time?
>
> Like a third-string quarterback on a football team, it's a backup for the
> backup. It only gets to play in an emergency.

Like I said, if you want to do anything other than look at the desktop
wallpaper, you are going to need more than 512Mb. Putting SP3 on makes
that a requirement IME.

walter

Desk Rabbit wrote:

> walter wrote:
>> Desk Rabbit wrote:

>>> ROFL!

>> How much more RAM would you suggest I install on an ancient spare
>> machine that sits in my network doing nothing 99.9% of the time?
>>
>> Like a third-string quarterback on a football team, it's a backup
>> for the backup. It only gets to play in an emergency.
>>

> Like I said, if you want to do anything other than look at the desktop
> wallpaper, you are going to need more than 512Mb. Putting SP3 on makes
> that a requirement IME.

And like *I* said, the machine doesn't do anything at all 99.9% of the time.
It's machine #3 on the network. Though it can connect to the Internet if I
allow it, all it ever really does is backup files from 1 and 2. And now
that I've replaced the original 20GB HDD with a 320GB Seagate it's even more
useful for that purpose. All it's got on it is XP bare-bones. It's not
used for anything else other than occasional web surfing by guests in my
home. Not even email.

512 RAM is more than sufficient to support that even with SP3 installed.
AND? If I need anything off of that HDD *really* *fast* (which I don't see
happening) I'll either pop it in my caddy or install it as a slave in #1 or

You may now have the last word.