Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > help

michael goodall

hey folks, not really a support query, but i know someone here will
know the answer. i've a test on friday on system administration and
maintainance, and i've come across a question i can't think of the
solution to, can anyone help or point me in the right direction. many
thanks, Michael.

the question: You have been asked to analyse and diagnose a
behavioural change in a Windows XP Professional workstation. This
workstation, used as an Internet-facing Web server, was recently
reconfigured for additional security at the request of a department
manager, who feared it had been targeted by hackers. The manager
requested that auditing features be turned on, which was done by
another member of your department. The manager reports that the system
shut down unexpectedly about a week later, and now does so
consistently shortly after any attempt to restart it. The system has
been checked by a hardware engineer and passed all hardware tests.
Based on the above information, what is the most likely cause of the
problem? [2 marks]

Dan C

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 07:04:37 -0800, michael goodall wrote:

> hey folks, not really a support query, but i know someone here will know
> the answer. i've a test on friday on system administration and
> maintainance, and i've come across a question i can't think of the
> solution to, can anyone help or point me in the right direction. many
> thanks, Michael.
>
> the question: You have been asked to analyse and diagnose a behavioural
> change in a Windows XP Professional workstation. This workstation, used
> as an Internet-facing Web server, was recently reconfigured for
> additional security at the request of a department manager, who feared
> it had been targeted by hackers. The manager requested that auditing
> features be turned on, which was done by another member of your
> department. The manager reports that the system shut down unexpectedly
> about a week later, and now does so consistently shortly after any
> attempt to restart it. The system has been checked by a hardware
> engineer and passed all hardware tests. Based on the above information,
> what is the most likely cause of the problem? [2 marks]

My guess would be that it's running Windoze.

D@Z

"Dan C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 07:04:37 -0800, michael goodall wrote:
>
>> hey folks, not really a support query, but i know someone here will know
>> the answer. i've a test on friday on system administration and
>> maintainance, and i've come across a question i can't think of the
>> solution to, can anyone help or point me in the right direction. many
>> thanks, Michael.
>>
>> the question: You have been asked to analyse and diagnose a behavioural
>> change in a Windows XP Professional workstation. This workstation, used
>> as an Internet-facing Web server, was recently reconfigured for
>> additional security at the request of a department manager, who feared
>> it had been targeted by hackers. The manager requested that auditing
>> features be turned on, which was done by another member of your
>> department. The manager reports that the system shut down unexpectedly
>> about a week later, and now does so consistently shortly after any
>> attempt to restart it. The system has been checked by a hardware
>> engineer and passed all hardware tests. Based on the above information,
>> what is the most likely cause of the problem? [2 marks]

> My guess would be that it's running Windoze.

blame the other guy.....

why?

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 07:04:37 -0800 (PST), michael goodall wrote:

>hey folks, not really a support query, but i know someone here will
>know the answer. i've a test on friday on system administration and
>maintainance, and i've come across a question i can't think of the
>solution to, can anyone help or point me in the right direction. many
>thanks, Michael.
>
>the question: You have been asked to analyse and diagnose a

Forget that, find the last good backup and rebuild it.

>behavioural change in a Windows XP Professional workstation. This
>workstation, used as an Internet-facing Web server, was recently

Invalid question, it's another stupid user configuration, XP Pro
external facing, deserve what you get.

>reconfigured for additional security at the request of a department
>manager, who feared it had been targeted by hackers. The manager

After the fact, Ha! Ha! (as Nelson says).

>requested that auditing features be turned on, which was done by
>another member of your department. The manager reports that the system
>shut down unexpectedly about a week later, and now does so

Manager's description of fault is not helpful.

>consistently shortly after any attempt to restart it. The system has
>been checked by a hardware engineer and passed all hardware tests.
>Based on the above information, what is the most likely cause of the
>problem? [2 marks]

1) Stupid user configuration.
2) It's been hacked.
3) It's not secure.
4) It's Win XP Pro internet facing.
5) It's not been wiped clean, rebuilt from scratch, protected before
reconnecting.

Me

§ñühw¤£f

Dan C wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 07:04:37 -0800, michael goodall wrote:
>
>> hey folks, not really a support query, but i know someone here will know
>> the answer. i've a test on friday on system administration and
>> maintainance, and i've come across a question i can't think of the
>> solution to, can anyone help or point me in the right direction. many
>> thanks, Michael.
>>
>> the question: You have been asked to analyse and diagnose a behavioural
>> change in a Windows XP Professional workstation. This workstation, used
>> as an Internet-facing Web server, was recently reconfigured for
>> additional security at the request of a department manager, who feared
>> it had been targeted by hackers. The manager requested that auditing
>> features be turned on, which was done by another member of your
>> department. The manager reports that the system shut down unexpectedly
>> about a week later, and now does so consistently shortly after any
>> attempt to restart it. The system has been checked by a hardware
>> engineer and passed all hardware tests. Based on the above information,
>> what is the most likely cause of the problem? [2 marks]

> My guess would be that it's running Windoze.

Why guess? He said its M$ XP-Pro...

^_^

Expert lino fitter

michael goodall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> hey folks, not really a support query, but i know someone here will
> know the answer. i've a test on friday on system administration and
> maintainance, and i've come across a question i can't think of the
> solution to, can anyone help or point me in the right direction. many
> thanks, Michael.
>
> the question: You have been asked to analyse and diagnose a
> behavioural change in a Windows XP Professional workstation. This
> workstation, used as an Internet-facing Web server, was recently
> reconfigured for additional security at the request of a department
> manager, who feared it had been targeted by hackers. The manager
> requested that auditing features be turned on, which was done by
> another member of your department. The manager reports that the system
> shut down unexpectedly about a week later, and now does so
> consistently shortly after any attempt to restart it. The system has
> been checked by a hardware engineer and passed all hardware tests.
> Based on the above information, what is the most likely cause of the
> problem? [2 marks]

Rip the ****er from the system.

Stick a new one in its place and configure in a considered and controlled
way so as to reduce down time and more use as a honeypot. <It's a ****in'
business we're runnin' here, not a ****in' tekkk lab!!>

lino: because without it your floor looks a mess, I know, I'm an expert.

The Real Truth MVP

System Security logs are full. Check the following reg key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa
Look for a DWORD value named CrashOnAuditFail with a value of 1. Some
environments that require tight security dictate that all security events
are logged. You can set in Windows XP to have limited space in which to
store all of the logs. At some point, the logs become full. When the event
logs become full, the system stops and must be rebooted. In order to use the
server after this, an administrator has to log in from the console, archive
the event logs, and manually reset the value of CrashOnAuditFail to 1, It
automatically changes to 2 when the logs become full to allow an
administrative logon.

HTH

"michael goodall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hey folks, not really a support query, but i know someone here will
> know the answer. i've a test on friday on system administration and
> maintainance, and i've come across a question i can't think of the
> solution to, can anyone help or point me in the right direction. many
> thanks, Michael.
>
> the question: You have been asked to analyse and diagnose a
> behavioural change in a Windows XP Professional workstation. This
> workstation, used as an Internet-facing Web server, was recently
> reconfigured for additional security at the request of a department
> manager, who feared it had been targeted by hackers. The manager
> requested that auditing features be turned on, which was done by
> another member of your department. The manager reports that the system
> shut down unexpectedly about a week later, and now does so
> consistently shortly after any attempt to restart it. The system has
> been checked by a hardware engineer and passed all hardware tests.
> Based on the above information, what is the most likely cause of the
> problem? [2 marks]

Dan C

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 14:20:39 -0700, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

> Dan C wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 07:04:37 -0800, michael goodall wrote:
>>
>>> hey folks, not really a support query, but i know someone here will
>>> know the answer. i've a test on friday on system administration and
>>> maintainance, and i've come across a question i can't think of the
>>> solution to, can anyone help or point me in the right direction. many
>>> thanks, Michael.
>>>
>>> the question: You have been asked to analyse and diagnose a
>>> behavioural change in a Windows XP Professional workstation. This
>>> workstation, used as an Internet-facing Web server, was recently
>>> reconfigured for additional security at the request of a department
>>> manager, who feared it had been targeted by hackers. The manager
>>> requested that auditing features be turned on, which was done by
>>> another member of your department. The manager reports that the system
>>> shut down unexpectedly about a week later, and now does so
>>> consistently shortly after any attempt to restart it. The system has
>>> been checked by a hardware engineer and passed all hardware tests.
>>> Based on the above information, what is the most likely cause of the
>>> problem? [2 marks]

>> My guess would be that it's running Windoze.
>>

> Why guess? He said its M$ XP-Pro...

I know that. Read the last sentence of the OP, and then apply my answer
to that question.

When you're done, take an English comprehension class.