Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Missing posts,

Missing posts,

Pingu.

I have noticed that some of my posts to newsgroups are not reaching, can
anyone point me in the right direction to try and fix whatever is wrong? I
had hoped it was just due to new year and staff holidays for what I thought
was just a slow down in service. Will things get back to normal?
--

Pingu.

richard

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:29:06 -0000, "Pingu." <icydude@anctartic> wrote:

>I have noticed that some of my posts to newsgroups are not reaching, can
>anyone point me in the right direction to try and fix whatever is wrong? I
>had hoped it was just due to new year and staff holidays for what I thought
>was just a slow down in service. Will things get back to normal?

It's not a problem YOU can solve on your end.
In trying to understand how it works, some things just kind of get
lost in never never land sometimes.

There are probably as many "news servers" in the world as there are
newsgroups. They are not all created equal and are not necessarily
connected to each other. To read YOUR post, one must have a "feed"
from your service.

Then, there is the possibility that it IS a problem on your end in
that you might have a setting changed and not be aware of it. For
instance you may have accidentally killfiled yourself or someone using
a similar handle or addy.

Sometimes I have this problem but I can easily check because my news
service also provides a web based system where I can look to see if
it's me or them.

But be grateful. There was one particular day back years ago when a
post might not be seen at all. Then if it was, it might be in another
group and in another thread.

Pingu.

"Mike Easter" <snip>

> The way to troubleshoot many newsagent vs newsserver related questions is
> to have multiple newsservers.
>
> If you are having questions or troubles about what is on newserver1, then
> you use another newsserver account to access newsserver2. Or newsserver3.
>
> I recommend a minimum of 3 newsservers. Preferably 5 or more if you are
> using free ones, because free newsservers come and go, so today's 5 will
> be tomorrow's 3. By adding more newsserver accounts as you investigate
> them, you should be able to maintain 3 or more at all times.
>
> ... and that's just for text newsing. If you are going to be doing
> binaries, it is a whole different story.
>
> There are also advantages to having non-free accounts.
>
> Your IP indicates you are cable.ntl.com. VirginMedia's newsserver's name
> is news.virginmedia.com which is actually a HighWinds newsserver.
>
> So, I would have the virginmedia server and at least 2 or 3 free
> newsservers. Then when your troubleshooting indicates that another server
> is working better than your primary, switch over to the other server.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Thanks for your reply Mike, so it looks as if I'm going to start using the
text server from now on.
--

Pingu.

Pingu.

"richard" <snip>

> It's not a problem YOU can solve on your end.
> In trying to understand how it works, some things just kind of get
> lost in never never land sometimes.
>
> There are probably as many "news servers" in the world as there are
> newsgroups. They are not all created equal and are not necessarily
> connected to each other. To read YOUR post, one must have a "feed"
> from your service.
>
> Then, there is the possibility that it IS a problem on your end in
> that you might have a setting changed and not be aware of it. For
> instance you may have accidentally killfiled yourself or someone using
> a similar handle or addy.
>
> Sometimes I have this problem but I can easily check because my news
> service also provides a web based system where I can look to see if
> it's me or them.
>
> But be grateful. There was one particular day back years ago when a
> post might not be seen at all. Then if it was, it might be in another
> group and in another thread.

Thanks Richard, Ill look into the possability that I may have accidently
changed a setting, I seriously doubt I did though, cos Im a big fan of the
'If It aint broke, dont fix it!' train of thought.
--

Pingu.

ian field

"Pingu." <icydude@anctartic> wrote in message
news:ioP8l.13$(E-Mail Removed)2...

> "Mike Easter" <snip>
>
>> The way to troubleshoot many newsagent vs newsserver related questions is
>> to have multiple newsservers.
>>
>> If you are having questions or troubles about what is on newserver1, then
>> you use another newsserver account to access newsserver2. Or
>> newsserver3.
>>
>> I recommend a minimum of 3 newsservers. Preferably 5 or more if you are
>> using free ones, because free newsservers come and go, so today's 5 will
>> be tomorrow's 3. By adding more newsserver accounts as you investigate
>> them, you should be able to maintain 3 or more at all times.
>>
>> ... and that's just for text newsing. If you are going to be doing
>> binaries, it is a whole different story.
>>
>> There are also advantages to having non-free accounts.
>>
>> Your IP indicates you are cable.ntl.com. VirginMedia's newsserver's name
>> is news.virginmedia.com which is actually a HighWinds newsserver.
>>
>> So, I would have the virginmedia server and at least 2 or 3 free
>> newsservers. Then when your troubleshooting indicates that another
>> server
>> is working better than your primary, switch over to the other server.
>>
>> --
>> Mike Easter
>>

> Thanks for your reply Mike, so it looks as if I'm going to start using the
> text server from now on.
> --
>
> Pingu.

Sometimes its possible to attract the attention of VMTS on
virginmedia.support.usenet .

ian field

"Pingu." <icydude@anctartic> wrote in message
news:jsP8l.14$(E-Mail Removed)2...

> "richard" <snip>
>
>> It's not a problem YOU can solve on your end.
>> In trying to understand how it works, some things just kind of get
>> lost in never never land sometimes.
>>
>> There are probably as many "news servers" in the world as there are
>> newsgroups. They are not all created equal and are not necessarily
>> connected to each other. To read YOUR post, one must have a "feed"
>> from your service.
>>
>> Then, there is the possibility that it IS a problem on your end in
>> that you might have a setting changed and not be aware of it. For
>> instance you may have accidentally killfiled yourself or someone using
>> a similar handle or addy.
>>
>> Sometimes I have this problem but I can easily check because my news
>> service also provides a web based system where I can look to see if
>> it's me or them.
>>
>> But be grateful. There was one particular day back years ago when a
>> post might not be seen at all. Then if it was, it might be in another
>> group and in another thread.

> Thanks Richard, Ill look into the possability that I may have accidently
> changed a setting, I seriously doubt I did though, cos Im a big fan of the
> 'If It aint broke, dont fix it!' train of thought.
> --
>
> Pingu.

I go one further and don't bother fixing it if I can get away with leaving
it broke.

Evan Platt

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 14:49:03 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>There are probably as many "news servers" in the world as there are
>newsgroups. They are not all created equal and are not necessarily
>connected to each other. To read YOUR post, one must have a "feed"
>from your service.

Uhhh ever hear of peering?

Peeassha

"Pingu." <icydude@anctartic> wrote in message
news:8iO8l.222337$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>I have noticed that some of my posts to newsgroups are not reaching, can
>anyone point me in the right direction to try and fix whatever is wrong? I
>had hoped it was just due to new year and staff holidays for what I thought
>was just a slow down in service. Will things get back to normal?
> --
>
> Pingu.

Here you go PigU nntp.aioe.org

wisdomkiller & pain

Peeassha wrote:

> Here you go PigU nntp.aioe.org

Still dead and gone ....

why?

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:29:06 -0000, Pingu. wrote:

A better subject line would help.

>I have noticed that some of my posts to newsgroups are not reaching, can

Which newsserver / group?

>anyone point me in the right direction to try and fix whatever is wrong? I
>had hoped it was just due to new year and staff holidays for what I thought
>was just a slow down in service. Will things get back to normal?

It's VM? You have been following the ongoing issues in the internal VM
usenet support group about missing posts or not?

Me