Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP64 will not power down system

XP64 will not power down system

Vic Baron

Installed XP64 on new system. When I shut down, XP shuts down but does not
turn off the system power. This system had XP32 and was working perfectly. I
formatted the system drive and did a fresh install of XP64 so other than the
mobo drivers it's a clean system.

Any thoughts?

Thanx

--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't

Carlos

Vic,
Have you checked Device Manager for the absence of question marks or bangs
beside the devices?
In other words, is all hour harddware "seen" properly by XP x64?
Is it possible that the system is going to standby (suspension) instead of
powering down?
What is your hardware configuration (motherboard, etc.)?
Carlos

"Vic Baron" wrote:

> Installed XP64 on new system. When I shut down, XP shuts down but does not
> turn off the system power. This system had XP32 and was working perfectly. I
> formatted the system drive and did a fresh install of XP64 so other than the
> mobo drivers it's a clean system.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanx
>
> --
> There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
> don't

Vic Baron

Rampage Extreme X48 mobo with Q9650 CPU - 4G Corsair DDR3 ram - GTX280 video
card

I'll double check the DM and suspend mode when I get home. It was just as I
went to bed last night after doing the install that I noticed the problem. I
changed no settings in the BIOS, only thing done was format and install
XP64.

At shutdown, I recall that the OS appeared to shutdown and I heard the
"click" that some systems make when shutting down but the light and fans
were still on. Very well maybe suspend mode.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vic,
> Have you checked Device Manager for the absence of question marks or bangs
> beside the devices?
> In other words, is all hour harddware "seen" properly by XP x64?
> Is it possible that the system is going to standby (suspension) instead of
> powering down?
> What is your hardware configuration (motherboard, etc.)?
> Carlos
>

> "Vic Baron" wrote:
>
>> Installed XP64 on new system. When I shut down, XP shuts down but does
>> not
>> turn off the system power. This system had XP32 and was working
>> perfectly. I
>> formatted the system drive and did a fresh install of XP64 so other than
>> the
>> mobo drivers it's a clean system.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Thanx
>>
>> --
>> There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
>> don't

Vic Baron

event viewer all ok. device manager all ok. not in suspend mode. really
puzzling becuz it worked in xp32

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vic,
> Have you checked Device Manager for the absence of question marks or bangs
> beside the devices?
> In other words, is all hour harddware "seen" properly by XP x64?
> Is it possible that the system is going to standby (suspension) instead of
> powering down?
> What is your hardware configuration (motherboard, etc.)?
> Carlos
>

> "Vic Baron" wrote:
>
>> Installed XP64 on new system. When I shut down, XP shuts down but does
>> not
>> turn off the system power. This system had XP32 and was working
>> perfectly. I
>> formatted the system drive and did a fresh install of XP64 so other than
>> the
>> mobo drivers it's a clean system.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Thanx
>>
>> --
>> There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
>> don't

Tony Sperling

I am not sure if I remember, but wasn't there an issue with 'Fast User
Switching' that Windows use as a Default, and that does not appear if you
have your desktop set to 'Classic Menus'?

Or - you may need one of the updates that'll come trickling down the line in
a few days?

Tony. . .

"Vic Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> event viewer all ok. device manager all ok. not in suspend mode. really
> puzzling becuz it worked in xp32

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Vic,
>> Have you checked Device Manager for the absence of question marks or
>> bangs
>> beside the devices?
>> In other words, is all hour harddware "seen" properly by XP x64?
>> Is it possible that the system is going to standby (suspension) instead
>> of
>> powering down?
>> What is your hardware configuration (motherboard, etc.)?
>> Carlos
>>

>> "Vic Baron" wrote:
>>
>>> Installed XP64 on new system. When I shut down, XP shuts down but does
>>> not
>>> turn off the system power. This system had XP32 and was working
>>> perfectly. I
>>> formatted the system drive and did a fresh install of XP64 so other than
>>> the
>>> mobo drivers it's a clean system.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> Thanx
>>>
>>> --
>>> There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
>>> don't

Carlos

Vic,
What happens when you press the power on button after a shutdown?
Does it boot normally or are you taken directly to the desktop?
The fact that the fans keeps spinning and some lights are on leads me to
think that it is suspend indeed.
Sometimes fans keep spinning when the keyboard and mouse have in their
properties the checkmark for using that device for returning from standby
(Power Management tab in device properties).

Carlos
"Vic Baron" wrote:

> event viewer all ok. device manager all ok. not in suspend mode. really
> puzzling becuz it worked in xp32

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Vic,
> > Have you checked Device Manager for the absence of question marks or bangs
> > beside the devices?
> > In other words, is all hour harddware "seen" properly by XP x64?
> > Is it possible that the system is going to standby (suspension) instead of
> > powering down?
> > What is your hardware configuration (motherboard, etc.)?
> > Carlos
> >

> > "Vic Baron" wrote:
> >
> >> Installed XP64 on new system. When I shut down, XP shuts down but does
> >> not
> >> turn off the system power. This system had XP32 and was working
> >> perfectly. I
> >> formatted the system drive and did a fresh install of XP64 so other than
> >> the
> >> mobo drivers it's a clean system.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts?
> >>
> >> Thanx
> >>
> >> --
> >> There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
> >> don't

Tony Sperling

I'll rephrase - when I say 'does not appear', I mean, the option to turn it
off is hidden from view under Classic Menus, you will have to go to User
Accounts in Control Panel to see the option.

Tony. . .

"Tony Sperling" <tony-sperling-at-dbmail-dk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am not sure if I remember, but wasn't there an issue with 'Fast User
>Switching' that Windows use as a Default, and that does not appear if you
>have your desktop set to 'Classic Menus'?
>
> Or - you may need one of the updates that'll come trickling down the line
> in a few days?
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Vic Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> event viewer all ok. device manager all ok. not in suspend mode. really
>> puzzling becuz it worked in xp32

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Vic,
>>> Have you checked Device Manager for the absence of question marks or
>>> bangs
>>> beside the devices?
>>> In other words, is all hour harddware "seen" properly by XP x64?
>>> Is it possible that the system is going to standby (suspension) instead
>>> of
>>> powering down?
>>> What is your hardware configuration (motherboard, etc.)?
>>> Carlos

Vic Baron

The option (Fast User Switching) grayed out when I disabled the Welcome
Screen.

"Tony Sperling" <tony-sperling-at-dbmail-dk> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'll rephrase - when I say 'does not appear', I mean, the option to turn
> it off is hidden from view under Classic Menus, you will have to go to
> User Accounts in Control Panel to see the option.
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Tony Sperling" <tony-sperling-at-dbmail-dk> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am not sure if I remember, but wasn't there an issue with 'Fast User
>>Switching' that Windows use as a Default, and that does not appear if you
>>have your desktop set to 'Classic Menus'?
>>
>> Or - you may need one of the updates that'll come trickling down the line
>> in a few days?
>>

>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "Vic Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> event viewer all ok. device manager all ok. not in suspend mode. really
>>> puzzling becuz it worked in xp32
>>>
>>> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Vic Baron

I DID notice that the HDD's are shutting down but case fans, memory fans,
etc are still running.

I usually press and hold the power button to turn it off - haven't tried
just a press.

Will try when I get home - have a feeling you're on to something.

Question is - how do I get back to a normal power down. I have everything
set in power options to not use sleep or suspend mode.

Well, let's see if we can identify the cause and go from there.

Just on an off chance, and because I was going to need it anyway, I
purchased another copy of XP64 with SP2 and am going to reformat and
reinstall tomorrow night. Gee! In a way it feels good to do this BEFORE
installing all the software rather than after the system is set up!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vic,
> What happens when you press the power on button after a shutdown?
> Does it boot normally or are you taken directly to the desktop?
> The fact that the fans keeps spinning and some lights are on leads me to
> think that it is suspend indeed.
> Sometimes fans keep spinning when the keyboard and mouse have in their
> properties the checkmark for using that device for returning from standby
> (Power Management tab in device properties).
>
> Carlos
> "Vic Baron" wrote:
>
>> event viewer all ok. device manager all ok. not in suspend mode. really
>> puzzling becuz it worked in xp32

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Vic,
>> > Have you checked Device Manager for the absence of question marks or
>> > bangs
>> > beside the devices?
>> > In other words, is all hour harddware "seen" properly by XP x64?
>> > Is it possible that the system is going to standby (suspension) instead
>> > of
>> > powering down?
>> > What is your hardware configuration (motherboard, etc.)?
>> > Carlos

Carlos

Vic,
Looks as if the OS were telling the mobo to shut down but it opts instead to
sleep!
You might also find useful info in your mobo manufacturer's forums.
Carlos