Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > My last working day of 2007

My last working day of 2007

Jack.Chu

Hello guys:
I created a simple tool to count how I wasted my time day by day
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3401727...38647/sizes/o/

It's simple, a small program running on background, logging the title
of foreground window. A python script parses the log file and then
generates chart by matplotlib.

I just want to get suggestions to improve it, or know the news that
somebody had implemented a better one so I can abandon my toy.

thanks.

Ant

On Jan 5, 9:47*am, "Jack.Chu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello guys:
> I created a simple tool to count how I wasted my time day by day http://www.flickr.com/photos/3401727...38647/sizes/o/

Looks interesting - did you have some sort of time machine to be
spending that much time in Chrome at the end of 2007?

> I just want to get suggestions to improve it, ...

It's a bit hard to tell just from the screenshot... Do you have some
code we could look at? Would be perhaps good to sub-log each window's
title so that you could subdivide, for example, Firefox's time by the
pages you were looking at (this would work quite well for numerous
apps.)

skip@pobox.com

Jack> It's simple, a small program running on background, logging the
Jack> title of foreground window. A python script parses the log file
Jack> and then generates chart by matplotlib.

Jack> I just want to get suggestions to improve it, or know the news
Jack> that somebody had implemented a better one so I can abandon my
Jack> toy.

For starters, you might figure out how to make it work on a real operating
system which allows multiple active processes.

Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink. Say no more. Say no more.

--
Skip Montanaro - http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) - http://smontanaro.dyndns.org/

News123

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Jack> It's simple, a small program running on background, logging the
> Jack> title of foreground window. A python script parses the log file
> Jack> and then generates chart by matplotlib.
>
> Jack> I just want to get suggestions to improve it, or know the news
> Jack> that somebody had implemented a better one so I can abandon my
> Jack> toy.
>
> For starters, you might figure out how to make it work on a real operating
> system which allows multiple active processes.

Well the computer can do things in paralell. Most human beings, and
according to stereotypes especially male human beings are only single
tasking, (like the mouse focus).
So if you want to find out what a user is busy with I guess, that the
title of the window in focus is probaly a very reasonable indicator.

Of course if you want to find out what the computer is busy with, then
you should make statistics of the processes and heir cpu loads.

bye

> Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink. Say no more. Say no more.

Jack.Chu

Actually I want to put the funny statistic on web. It means create a
simple website and show informations such as that picture.

But the hard job is I don't know how to collect the log info from
client. If I have to install something I don't think people would dare
to install it - it is too dangerous to use, and without big benefit.