Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Sites which require personal information before providing information!

Sites which require personal information before providing information!

Enkidu

I'm sick of sites that require you to supply personal information before
they part with even minimal information. Say you require a few 25mm
left-handed terminal widgets. You go to widgets.com. They require you to
give them your email address, street address, a freaking reason why you
want those particular widgets before they will deign to email you a list
of their dealers in your area. Or like a well-known computer hardware
supplier, they require you to sign for an account before you can fully
search their very slow site (though much information on *THAT* site is
available without an account if you search). Or a fairly large software
company that requires you to get an account before you can even search
their knowledge base! Even though you've paid through the nose for their
software! The OS company that requires you to sign up for an account to
access updates is marginal. I find that marginally acceptable since the
supports is paid for support (though I'm astounded at the prices that
they charge.) But they do make their software itself available for free
download, and their knowledge base is open.

If I signed up for an account for every piece of software that we have
and if I gave my personal information to everyone that asked (just so
that I could have the price for something or find a distributor in
AsPac), I would have dozens of accounts and dozens of firms would have
my information. It's too much.

I'm going to avoid such sites in future. Unfortunately I can't
completely avoid them, but if there is a viable alternative, I will
search it out.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Microsoft Windows steals candy from children and reduces the GDP of
industrialised countries.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Enkidu" typed:
> I'm sick of sites that require you to supply personal information
> before they part with even minimal information. Say you require a few
> 25mm left-handed terminal widgets. You go to widgets.com. They
> require you to give them your email address, street address, a
> freaking reason why you want those particular widgets before they
> will deign to email you a list of their dealers in your area. Or like
> a well-known computer hardware supplier, they require you to sign for
> an account before you can fully search their very slow site (though
> much information on *THAT* site is available without an account if
> you search). Or a fairly large software company that requires you to
> get an account before you can even search their knowledge base! Even
> though you've paid through the nose for their software! The OS
> company that requires you to sign up for an account to access updates
> is marginal. I find that marginally acceptable since the supports is
> paid for support (though I'm astounded at the prices that they
> charge.) But they do make their software itself available for free
> download, and their knowledge base is open.
> If I signed up for an account for every piece of software that we have
> and if I gave my personal information to everyone that asked (just so
> that I could have the price for something or find a distributor in
> AsPac), I would have dozens of accounts and dozens of firms would have
> my information. It's too much.
>
> I'm going to avoid such sites in future. Unfortunately I can't
> completely avoid them, but if there is a viable alternative, I will
> search it out.

I found a Firefox plugin last week that gives you user names / passwords for
annoting sites like that. However, my Winows broke not long after, I lost
the "safely remove hardware" icon and couldn't find a way to get it back. So
I used my weekly Acronis image to restore C:\. Alas, now I can't remember
the name of the pluc-in.
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "~misfit~" typed:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Enkidu" typed:
>> I'm sick of sites that require you to supply personal information
>> before they part with even minimal information. Say you require a few
>> 25mm left-handed terminal widgets. You go to widgets.com. They
>> require you to give them your email address, street address, a
>> freaking reason why you want those particular widgets before they
>> will deign to email you a list of their dealers in your area. Or like
>> a well-known computer hardware supplier, they require you to sign for
>> an account before you can fully search their very slow site (though
>> much information on *THAT* site is available without an account if
>> you search). Or a fairly large software company that requires you to
>> get an account before you can even search their knowledge base! Even
>> though you've paid through the nose for their software! The OS
>> company that requires you to sign up for an account to access updates
>> is marginal. I find that marginally acceptable since the supports is
>> paid for support (though I'm astounded at the prices that they
>> charge.) But they do make their software itself available for free
>> download, and their knowledge base is open.
>> If I signed up for an account for every piece of software that we
>> have and if I gave my personal information to everyone that asked
>> (just so that I could have the price for something or find a
>> distributor in AsPac), I would have dozens of accounts and dozens of
>> firms would have my information. It's too much.
>>
>> I'm going to avoid such sites in future. Unfortunately I can't
>> completely avoid them, but if there is a viable alternative, I will
>> search it out.

> I found a Firefox plugin last week that gives you user names /
> passwords for annoting sites like that. However, my Winows broke not
> long after, I lost the "safely remove hardware" icon and couldn't
> find a way to get it back. So I used my weekly Acronis image to
> restore C:\. Alas, now I can't remember the name of the pluc-in.

Writing that jogged my memory. BugMeNot:

Thanks for the mem-jog.
--
Shaun.

Gib Bogle

I Love It! wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
>> I'm sick of sites that require you to supply personal
>> information
>> before they part with even minimal information. Say you require
>> a few
>> 25mm left-handed terminal widgets. You go to widgets.com. They
>> require you to give them your email address, street address, a
>> freaking reason why you want those particular widgets before
>> they
>> will deign to email you a list of their dealers in your area.
>> Or like
>> a well-known computer hardware supplier, they require you to
>> sign for
>> an account before you can fully search their very slow site
>> (though
>> much information on *THAT* site is available without an account
>> if
>> you search). Or a fairly large software company that requires
>> you to
>> get an account before you can even search their knowledge base!
>> Even
>> though you've paid through the nose for their software! The OS
>> company that requires you to sign up for an account to access
>> updates
>> is marginal. I find that marginally acceptable since the
>> supports is
>> paid for support (though I'm astounded at the prices that they
>> charge.) But they do make their software itself available for
>> free
>> download, and their knowledge base is open.
>> If I signed up for an account for every piece of software that
>> we have
>> and if I gave my personal information to everyone that asked
>> (just so
>> that I could have the price for something or find a distributor
>> in
>> AsPac), I would have dozens of accounts and dozens of firms
>> would have
>> my information. It's too much.
>>
>> I'm going to avoid such sites in future. Unfortunately I can't
>> completely avoid them, but if there is a viable alternative, I
>> will
>> search it out.

> Best you do that, then, rather than whine and whinge here. Ya
> bloody big sook.

Why whine and whinge, when you can sneer and abuse?

Cima

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 11:21:27 +1300, joe_90 <joe_90_no@spam_hush.com> wrote:

>Enkidu wrote:
>> I'm sick of sites that require you to supply personal information before
>> they part with even minimal information. Say you require a few 25mm
>> left-handed terminal widgets. You go to widgets.com. They require you to
>> give them your email address, street address, a freaking reason why you
>> want those particular widgets before they will deign to email you a list
>> of their dealers in your area.

>For registrations that require a valid email address for confirmation
>etc., I find this useful -
>
>http://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/index.html

I use a throwaway gmail account for signups. Judging by the amount of mail in
the spam folder some of them are obviously nice enough to pass that addy on.

Mr. Scooter

On , , Tue, 06 Jan 2009 10:24:57 +1300, Re: Sites which require
personal information before providing information!, Gib Bogle
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I Love It! wrote:
>> Enkidu wrote:
>>> I'm sick of sites that require you to supply personal
>>> information
>>> before they part with even minimal information. Say you require
>>> a few
>>> 25mm left-handed terminal widgets. You go to widgets.com. They
>>> require you to give them your email address, street address, a
>>> freaking reason why you want those particular widgets before
>>> they
>>> will deign to email you a list of their dealers in your area.
>>> Or like
>>> a well-known computer hardware supplier, they require you to
>>> sign for
>>> an account before you can fully search their very slow site
>>> (though
>>> much information on *THAT* site is available without an account
>>> if
>>> you search). Or a fairly large software company that requires
>>> you to
>>> get an account before you can even search their knowledge base!
>>> Even
>>> though you've paid through the nose for their software! The OS
>>> company that requires you to sign up for an account to access
>>> updates
>>> is marginal. I find that marginally acceptable since the
>>> supports is
>>> paid for support (though I'm astounded at the prices that they
>>> charge.) But they do make their software itself available for
>>> free
>>> download, and their knowledge base is open.
>>> If I signed up for an account for every piece of software that
>>> we have
>>> and if I gave my personal information to everyone that asked
>>> (just so
>>> that I could have the price for something or find a distributor
>>> in
>>> AsPac), I would have dozens of accounts and dozens of firms
>>> would have
>>> my information. It's too much.
>>>
>>> I'm going to avoid such sites in future. Unfortunately I can't
>>> completely avoid them, but if there is a viable alternative, I
>>> will
>>> search it out.

>> Best you do that, then, rather than whine and whinge here. Ya
>> bloody big sook.
>>

>Why whine and whinge, when you can sneer and abuse?

And John Bilderbeck is a masturbator at that.

---