Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Any Good HP Software Support Sites?

Any Good HP Software Support Sites?

PeeCee

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 09:04:22 -0800, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Steve wrote:
>>> A search for "HP software problems" on Google only takes me back to
>>> HP. Are there any good sites out there?

>>What /exactly/ are you looking for?
>>
>>I don't think it is useful to ask a 'generic' question about an obscure
>>concept (who else besides HP is writing drivers for HP hardware).
>>
>>Exactly what problem are you having with what modelno HP hardware?

> Sorry, that's not what I meant to ask. Specifically, for my latest
> problem, I've uninstalled and reinstalled my C5180 software three
> times while on the phone with their techs and still cannot scan using
> the HP software. Perhaps someone else solved the same problem. My
> question is does anyone know where else I might find a solution.
> Thanks.
> Steve

Steve

For what it's worth I had a Deskjet 5000 series give me a lot of grief a
while ago.
8 hours on the phone to HP only served to have them declare the (new)
printer faulty.
The problem with this was on another PC it worked as expected.
In the end by trolling through heaps of pages on HP's website I found one
(and only one) page that pointed to a conflict with the drivers for an older
modlel Deskjet.
Removed all the old printer drivers and it worked fine.

Conclusions reached after that:
Help desk assistants don't necessarily have very good diagnostic skills &
you're better off digging through HP's website yourself.
HP's website can be a dog to find stuff, just keep plugging away by varying
what you search for.
Dig for any log files generated, this was how I got onto the HP page that
lead to fixing my one.
(a specific error number helps enormously)
Remove 'all' old printer/scanner driver files and software. (I've used this
trick to fix other problem printers since then)

The other diagnostic to consider is to place the printer/scanner on another
PC and see if it works ok there.
As Mike points out it 'may' be a faulty scanner.

Best
Paul.

Steve

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 11:32:31 -0800, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Steve wrote:
>> "Mike Easter"

>>> Exactly what problem are you having with what modelno HP hardware?

>> C5180
>> cannot scan using
>> the HP software.

Thanks, Mike for your input.

>Installing and uninstalling software multiple times isn't troubleshooting.

I know that, but the HP support techs don't seem to.

>You didn't name your OS; XP XP64 Vista Vista64 Win2K - HP offers s/w for
>all of those + Mac & links to linux drivers

XP Home on a Dell Dimension 8400 (Intel CPU)

>How do you know the scanner isn't b0rken? What is the result of the HP
>Scan Diagnostic Utility?

Good question. Especially since the All-in-One is a refurbished (HP
gave me a free exchange when my original All-in-One wouldn't move the
paper).

However, I did find the (refurbished) scanner works great with other
software (Adobe Acrobat Pro 7 & 9). The HP Solutions program (which is
the one used to scan) just won't complete its activation. It tries to
load the "Photo Gallery" multiple times, then dies with no error
message).

Incidentally, I was thankful HP shipped me a replacement printer the
same day I called - on the day my warranty expired. The next day for
some reason I had turned the "bad" printer on its side and it worked
fine after that. But the replacement had already shipped. A new
troubleshooting technique?

>"HP Scan Diagnostic Utility is created to diagnose and fix scan related
>issues with HP All-in-One devices. Some symptoms the utility will attempt
>to fix are: 1) Scanner communication error displayed on your monitor. 2)
>No scan options error displayed on the HP device control panel or scanning
>from the device results in device not to respond."

The tech tried that with control of my computer, but no joy. I don't
remember what the reason was.

Steve

Steve

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 19:47:21 +0000 (UTC), G. Morgan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Take a look here:
>http://www.hp.com/go/upd

Thanks. It looks good. I just need some time.
Steve

Steve

On 04 Jan 2009 21:40:18 GMT, thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> Over the years, I've had more trouble with HP software than
>> any other software. Much of their hardware's great (my
>> LaserJet 4000 has given me nearly ten years of perfect
>> performance), but their software sucks big time.
>>
>> I told an HP tech support guy it seemed like about 2,000
>> drivers were downloaded for my C5180 All-in-One
>> installation. He said that was a very low estimate! Can any
>> company produce 3,000 bug-free drivers?
>>
>> I searched for an HP news group. The closest I got was
>> "stretcHPants"<g>. Maybe it's because everyone's given up
>> on solving HP software problems (I myself have spent
>> fruitless hours on the phone with HP's support techs).
>>
>> A search for "HP software problems" on Google only takes me
>> back to HP. Are there any good sites out there?
>>
>> Steve

>I have found all the solutions I needed on the HP site. It's a
>big hairy site, so it may take time, but it IS surprisingly
>comprehensive. Their email support has been quite good as well,
>surprisingly. Your mileage apparently varies - I /was/ surprised
>at my successes.

Thanks. I will, in due time.
Steve

Steve

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 08:41:29 -0800, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Steve wrote:

>>> troubleshooting.

>>> What is the result of the HP
>>> Scan Diagnostic Utility?

>> The tech tried that with control of my computer, but no joy. I don't
>> remember what the reason was.

>So, I guess if we wanted to know the result of any useful troubleshooting,
>we would have to be talking to the person who was paying attention while
>it was going on.

Give me a break! ??