Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > So why does the world need Google Chrome?

So why does the world need Google Chrome?

brassplyer

So Google is promoting the heck out of this browser. I see it being
prominently advertised on Youtube.

Why? I keep hearing Firefox is the last word in browsers. What's
special about Google Chrome?

Big_Al

brassplyer said this on 1/2/2009 12:51 PM:
> So Google is promoting the heck out of this browser. I see it being
> prominently advertised on Youtube.
>
> Why? I keep hearing Firefox is the last word in browsers. What's
> special about Google Chrome?

If a BMW is so good, why make a Ford or Chevy or Volkswagen or any other
car?

brassplyer

On Jan 2, 1:07*pm, Big_Al <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If a BMW is so good, why make a Ford or Chevy or Volkswagen or any other
> car?

With cars there are issues of affordability that are moot with free
browsers.

Mega-Corporation Google has obviously invested resources in developing
and promoting this browser when there are already many free browsers.
Makes me wonder why.

One thing that sticks out from what I've read so far to distinguish it
is that it does worse than several other browsers regarding certain
security issues.

Is there anything it does better than also free Firefox?

Peter

brassplyer wrote:
> On Jan 2, 1:07 pm, Big_Al <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> If a BMW is so good, why make a Ford or Chevy or Volkswagen or any other
>> car?

> With cars there are issues of affordability that are moot with free
> browsers.
>
> Mega-Corporation Google has obviously invested resources in developing
> and promoting this browser when there are already many free browsers.
> Makes me wonder why.
>
> One thing that sticks out from what I've read so far to distinguish it
> is that it does worse than several other browsers regarding certain
> security issues.
>
> Is there anything it does better than also free Firefox?

I think that Chrome is just one of the things Google is preparing for
cloud computing.

Peter

Peeassha

"Big_Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> brassplyer said this on 1/2/2009 12:51 PM:
>> So Google is promoting the heck out of this browser. I see it being
>> prominently advertised on Youtube.
>>
>> Why? I keep hearing Firefox is the last word in browsers. What's
>> special about Google Chrome?

> If a BMW is so good, why make a Ford or Chevy or Volkswagen or any other
> car?

Google Chrome is there to appease the plebiscites. There will always be a
group of daft morons and Google Chrome was written specifically for these
peons.

Aardvark

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 14:17:19 -0500, Peeassha wrote:

> Google Chrome is there to appease the plebiscites

And for googling the difference between plebiscite and plebeian.

--
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YXTN3h-b9nU

BillW50

In news:(E-Mail Removed) ,
SgtMinor typed on Fri, 02 Jan 2009 14:37:43 -0500:
> brassplyer wrote:
>> So Google is promoting the heck out of this browser. I see it being
>> prominently advertised on Youtube.
>>
>> Why? I keep hearing Firefox is the last word in browsers. What's
>> special about Google Chrome?

> "Microsoft's Ballmer: 'I'm going to…kill Google'
>
> As Google and Microsoft again head to court on Tuesday in the case of
> former Microsoft executive Kai-Fu Lee's defection to Google, documents
> filed in the case allege that Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer vowed, "I'm
> going to f—ing kill Google," according to an AAP story in the Sydney
> Morning Herald (via Slashdot). A declaration by former Microsoft
> engineer, Mark Lucovsky, who told Ballmer in November that he was
> leaving to go to work for Google, alleges that the Microsoft CEO
> picked up his chair and threw it across his office, then berated
> Google CEO Eric Schmidt.
>
> "I'm going to f—ing bury that guy, I have done it before, and I will
> do it again. I'm going to f—ing kill Google," Ballmer is quoted as
> having said."
>
> Does that help frame the issue?

Actually no! People have told me they are going to kill me too. But they
never did yet. I guess you don't know the difference between a figure of
speech and literal, do you?

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

« Agent 007 ˝

More browsers means competition and you get better browsers. It's a
win-win situation for the consumers.

Sinner

"« Agent 007 ˝" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> More browsers means competition and you get better browsers. It's a
> win-win situation for the consumers.

No, you just get morons inappropriately cross-posting their inane questions.

Big_Al

brassplyer said this on 1/2/2009 1:25 PM:
> On Jan 2, 1:07 pm, Big_Al <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> If a BMW is so good, why make a Ford or Chevy or Volkswagen or any other
>> car?

> With cars there are issues of affordability that are moot with free
> browsers.
>
> Mega-Corporation Google has obviously invested resources in developing
> and promoting this browser when there are already many free browsers.
> Makes me wonder why.
>
> One thing that sticks out from what I've read so far to distinguish it
> is that it does worse than several other browsers regarding certain
> security issues.
>
> Is there anything it does better than also free Firefox?

My point is: disregard the cost, since IE/FF/Chrome are all the same
price, people drift to one or the other for feature. Just one of the
many reasons people drift to one car over another, feature, feel, look.
Few people look behind the works, to the security, durability.
Most people look at what's up front.