Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > intermittent "acquiring network address" message on my laptop'swireless icon

intermittent "acquiring network address" message on my laptop'swireless icon

wjorth

I have been struggling with similar intermittent connection problems, but
only on a new Acer laptop running Vista. No problems with my other 2
computers running XP. I successfully connect the Vista computer by power
resetting the router (D-Link, 802.11g) after any time the XP computers
connect to the network. I'm on the discussion groups to figure out what Vista
is doing to me.

I also had to disable IPv6 protocol in the network panel before I could
connect at all. If you are running Vista you may want to try this.

In your troubleshooting simplify as much as possible and then work back out
to your full configuration. Try a cabled connection to your router before
moving back to the wireless connection. Turn off all the other computers to
eliminate compounding issues across the network.

By the way, I connect through the router to my home network just fine. It is
the connection through the router to the DSL connected internet that keeps
dropping for me.