Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Network in Vista

Network in Vista

roalf

I was trying to fix a wireless problem in my kids Vista run laptop. I
was in the Networks box when another PC showed up on my network. I
clicked on it and it asked for user name and password and I could not
access it. The name on it was HCooper-XP and its workgroup was
tkccommunications. I pulled the plug on the modem and it went away,
of course, along with my kids name he assigned to his computer. I
plugged the modem back in and about 10 min later it popped back up. Is
someone accessing his computer. My XP machine was plugged into the
same modem and I couldn't see a thing in the Networks window just my
connection.

roalf

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 11:11:41 +0000, Guy Macon
<http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:

>roalf wrote:
>
>>I was trying to fix a wireless problem in my kids Vista run laptop. I
>>was in the Networks box when another PC showed up on my network. I
>>clicked on it and it asked for user name and password and I could not
>>access it. The name on it was HCooper-XP and its workgroup was
>>tkccommunications. I pulled the plug on the modem and it went away,
>>of course, along with my kids name he assigned to his computer. I
>>plugged the modem back in and about 10 min later it popped back up. Is
>>someone accessing his computer. My XP machine was plugged into the
>>same modem and I couldn't see a thing in the Networks window just my
>>connection.

>Why should I secure my wireless network?
>http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...4992c1033.mspx
>
>What are the different wireless network security methods?
>http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...26b681033.mspx
>
>Set up a security key for a wireless network
>http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...25fcb1033.mspx
>
>Making your network more secure
>(scroll down to "Wireless network security recommendations")
>http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...034681033.mspx
>
>How to secure a wireless network
>http://blogs.technet.com/steve_lamb/...ss-router.aspx

I use 128 bit encryption my wireless is very secure. My daughters
wireless card is busted and won't operate anyway. I was plugged into
the router directly when I saw the intruder.