Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What a real Pro can do with a P&S

What a real Pro can do with a P&S

Paul Furman

OK, this is a smartass post I'm making, you've been warned, I stumbled
across it though & couldn't resist:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=28343
the photog comments: "I'm traveling light this year by only
photo-blogging with my trusty Canon Power Shot DS800 camera
(point-and-shoot). I find it very difficult in making photographs with a
camera (point and shoot) that is a control freak."

To be fair, the other Hawaii P&S shots following that one are alright.
Exif in most of his shots shows a Canon 1D Mark III:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=32711

ASAAR

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 21:26:01 -0800, Paul Furman wrote:

> the photog comments: "I'm traveling light this year by only
> photo-blogging with my trusty Canon Power Shot DS800 camera
> (point-and-shoot). I find it very difficult in making photographs with a
> camera (point and shoot) that is a control freak."

He must be referring to the Powershot SD800 IS, which like some
other Powershots shows its control freak nature by having a Manual
mode that's really an Auto mode that lets you add exposure
compensation or change WB, but little else, like my old PS S20. If
I might add, photographers aren't the only lunatics that go around
shooting the moon.

Don Stauffer

Paul Furman wrote:
> OK, this is a smartass post I'm making, you've been warned, I stumbled
> across it though & couldn't resist:
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=28343
> the photog comments: "I'm traveling light this year by only
> photo-blogging with my trusty Canon Power Shot DS800 camera
> (point-and-shoot). I find it very difficult in making photographs with a
> camera (point and shoot) that is a control freak."
>
> To be fair, the other Hawaii P&S shots following that one are alright.
> Exif in most of his shots shows a Canon 1D Mark III:
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=32711

I think we have to be careful about the shorthand we are starting to use
to catagorize cameras. Does P&S mean anything without a reflex
viewfinder and one lens? Do rangefinders and twin lens reflex cameras
become P & S? Or do we sometimes mean simple, cheap cameras are P & S
while expensive cameras are SLR? Of course, there are sure a LOT of
exceptions to that one.

One of the big factors with better cameras is flexibility. Most any
camera can take good pictures of objects at 10 or more feet away, in
bright sunlight, with no or little movement in the scene.

Shooting in darker light, or at close focusing distances, especially
subjects that resist autofocus, are challenges.

There is the convenience, too, of being able to select lens focal length
range. Sure, you can wade, climb through barb wire fences, etc. to get
to any vantage point, but sometimes it is nice not to have to.

Sports shots in dim light (indoor arenas, etc) are another challenge.

David J Taylor

RichA wrote:
> HowSadThatIs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>> Careful, Paul. With this post you are bound to bring out all the
>>> real "real pros" carrying pitchforks along with their p&s cameras.

>> No, the "real pros" have been out shooting photos with their
>> exceptional P&S cameras,

> Is that P.C. speak? "Exceptional" cameras being in actuality cameras
> with disabilities, that kind of thing? I prefer the term, "Image
> challenged."

I read it as "cameras which are the exception to regular P&S", i.e. that
most P&S would not be suitable for "real pros".

David

dj_nme

Don Stauffer wrote:
> Paul Furman wrote:
>> OK, this is a smartass post I'm making, you've been warned, I stumbled
>> across it though & couldn't resist:
>> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=28343
>> the photog comments: "I'm traveling light this year by only
>> photo-blogging with my trusty Canon Power Shot DS800 camera
>> (point-and-shoot). I find it very difficult in making photographs with
>> a camera (point and shoot) that is a control freak."
>>
>> To be fair, the other Hawaii P&S shots following that one are alright.
>> Exif in most of his shots shows a Canon 1D Mark III:
>> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=32711

> I think we have to be careful about the shorthand we are starting to use
> to catagorize cameras. Does P&S mean anything without a reflex
> viewfinder and one lens? Do rangefinders and twin lens reflex cameras
> become P & S?

Obviously not (but you're free to believe what you like).
If it's a DSLR camera: then it's a DSLR camera (EG: Pentax K20D or
Olympus E-1).
If it's a D-RF camera: then it's still a D-RF camera (EG: Epson RD-1 or
Leica M.
If it's a P&S camera: it hasn't change into anything else either (EG:
Canon G10 or Ricoh GX-200).
As far as I'm aware there aren't any D-TLR cameras in existence: the
Rollei Minidigi is just a P&S styled to look like a miniature Rolleicord.

There was also a halfway design that were seen in a series of DSLR
cameras made by Olympus which they described as a "ZLR camera".
These had an SLR viewfinder, small P&S sized sensor and a
non-interchangeable zoom lens.

> Or do we sometimes mean simple, cheap cameras are P & S
> while expensive cameras are SLR? Of course, there are sure a LOT of
> exceptions to that one.

The cost of the camera doesn't determine how it's viewfinder functions
nor the size of it's sensor.
There are expensive P&S which are styled to masquerade as a (faux) DSLR
camera, most notably the EVF super-zoom digicams.
There's also cheap DSLR cameras and ultra-expensive D-RF cameras.