Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Software > How to plot a .wav file

How to plot a .wav file

Coder Ken Coder Ken is offline
Junior Member

I am writing a java program to plot the waveform of a .wav file. I understand that the .wav files are in an uncompressed PCM format. So, I read the file and found the start of the data. I am able to pull the data and play it and cut clips out of it and play them; however, when I plot the plot the data, most of the data is above a value of 120 and below the value of -120, on a scale of -128 to 127. This looks like square pulses with minimum fluctuations on the top of the pulses (or bottom for those below -120).

Are there any methods in the javax.sound package that can help me?

Are there some additional computations I should perform on the raw PCM data in the file? If so, what?

Coder Ken