Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > The "new age" of html?

The "new age" of html?

richard

As you may know, I am a big big fan of Basic. Even more so now with
the advent of "liberty basic". www.libertybasic.com

Carl Gundel, the author has taken his version of basic into the next
level and is now competing with php, javascript, python and asp.

With minimal knowledge of html and basic, you can create your own
website using basic right on your PC. I plan on converting my oldies
site using this method. As it has the capability of utilizing a simple
database I can create tables of information on the page without the
need of reloading the page, iframes or division swapping.

Anyone use it now or interested?

www.runbasic.com

Jani

On 1 Jan., 19:04, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> As you may know, I am a big big fan of Basic. Even more so now with
> the advent of "liberty basic".www.libertybasic.com
>
> Carl Gundel, the author has taken his version of basic into the next
> level and is now competing with php, javascript, python and asp.
>
> With minimal knowledge of html and basic, you can create your own
> website using basic right on your PC. I plan on converting my oldies
> site using this method. As it has the capability of utilizing a simple
> database I can create tables of information on the page without the
> need of reloading the page, iframes or division swapping.
>
> Anyone use it now or interested?
>
> www.runbasic.com

Anything which is fun should be done! (o;

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2009-01-01, richard wrote:
> As you may know, I am a big big fan of Basic. Even more so now with
> the advent of "liberty basic". www.libertybasic.com
>
> Carl Gundel, the author has taken his version of basic into the next
> level and is now competing with php, javascript, python and asp.
>
> With minimal knowledge of html and basic, you can create your own
> website using basic right on your PC.

I can do that with any text editor.

> I plan on converting my oldies site using this method. As it has the
> capability of utilizing a simple database I can create tables of
> information on the page without the need of reloading the page,
> iframes or division swapping.
>
> Anyone use it now or interested?

No, it will not run on my system.

Author:

Jani

On 2 Jan., 03:19, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Jani wrote:
>
> >richard wrote:

> >> As you may know, I am a big big fan of Basic. Even more so now with
> >> the advent of "liberty basic".www.libertybasic.com

> >> Carl Gundel, the author has taken his version of basic into the next
> >> level and is now competing with php, javascript, python and asp.

> >> With minimal knowledge of html and basic, you can create your own
> >> website using basic right on your PC. I plan on converting my oldies
> >> site using this method. As it has the capability of utilizing a simple
> >> database I can create tables of information on the page without the
> >> need of reloading the page, iframes or division swapping.

> >> Anyone use it now or interested?

> >>www.runbasic.com

> Most people don't need any sort of programming language for the web.
> plain old HTML webpages work fine for most people.
>
> If you want something to run on a standard Apache or IIS server
> of the type you get when you buy hosting, it won't have Runbasic
> available. My hosting provider gives me PHP, Perl, Python, C,
> C++, Tcl, CGI and all the standard Apahce features. *No Runbasic.
>
> If you are willing to buy a dedicated server or virtual server,
> you can run what you like, but PoweBASIC is only slightly more
> expensive that Runbasic, and is far more powerful and efficient.
> Even so, Python is usually a better choice thatn either Runbasic
> or PowerBASIC for web applications. *
>
> None of these are competitors for javascript or Java, which run
> on the client, not the server. *
>
> I do not believe your claim that Runbasic has "the capability of
> utilizing a simple [which] can create tables of information on
> the page without the need of reloading the page, iframes or division
> swapping." *

hm... ya... But anyway... The massive use of IP addresses will
supposed to be integrated into normal electronic devices (like fridge,
garage door, DVD recorder, mobile phone, fish tank, sun shield).
So maybe the browser will loose its value as an interface
___EYES2SCREEN___. You simply take your USB jack to your office or to
the weekend house outside in the village or the data will be
synchronize over the provider.

If you miss a real sense in what I am writing... I only want to
express that e.g. Java was invented for white goods and that DW is not
yet a CSS - Editor, which you can use as a newbie to CSS. So the idea
to cope with HTML in a "new" way (like richard say ["new age"]) is
quite well while other difficult people are not able to find together
a common solution.

I think e.g. it would be a great thing to have a huge book shelf and
on your webshop your customer can view it with the webcam. Sometimes
all those forms and database searching results need strong eyes. And
you get tired. You miss something old fashioned maybe. A snooty-nosed
little upstart needs a real shop to browse some time for what he is
looking for. He want to sit down into his big snoozle room, having a
cool drink in hot summernight and viewing all those books of my shop
projected in his hologram.

So you can not forget the military aspect when any **** (ups... lets
say "poison") turns into nectar.

libbasic

On Jan 1, 9:19*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Jani wrote:
>
> >richard wrote:

> >> As you may know, I am a big big fan of Basic. Even more so now with
> >> the advent of "liberty basic".www.libertybasic.com

> >> Carl Gundel, the author has taken his version of basic into the next
> >> level and is now competing with php, javascript, python and asp.

> >> With minimal knowledge of html and basic, you can create your own
> >> website using basic right on your PC. I plan on converting my oldies
> >> site using this method. As it has the capability of utilizing a simple
> >> database I can create tables of information on the page without the
> >> need of reloading the page, iframes or division swapping.

> >> Anyone use it now or interested?

> >>www.runbasic.com

> Most people don't need any sort of programming language for the web.
> plain old HTML webpages work fine for most people.

That's fair, and perhaps Run BASIC isn't really on topic for this
group except that HTML can be a gateway to real programming, and Run
BASIC is a perfectly good next step.

> If you want something to run on a standard Apache or IIS server
> of the type you get when you buy hosting, it won't have Runbasic
> available. My hosting provider gives me PHP, Perl, Python, C,
> C++, Tcl, CGI and all the standard Apahce features. *No Runbasic.

Well, not yet anyways. However you can download Run BASIC for
free and try it out on your own computer. Some of our users like the
free version. Some actually host their own server from home, and some
use the runbasicnet.com hosting service.

> If you are willing to buy a dedicated server or virtual server,
> you can run what you like, but PoweBASIC is only slightly more
> expensive that Runbasic, and is far more powerful and efficient.

PowerBASIC is a very nice product, and I have used it for some of my
own projects. It isn't a web development system so it may be more
efficient at something, but Run BASIC is more efficient for web
development.

> Even so, Python is usually a better choice thatn either Runbasic
> or PowerBASIC for web applications. *

What is your justification for saying this? If someone asks which
tool is better for a given job the answer is almost always "It
depends." Run BASIC is specifically designed for building and hosting
web apps, and it is designed to be very easy for the beginner.
Several of our customers are very enthusiastically embracing Run BASIC
after coming from more popular options like PHP.

> None of these are competitors for javascript or Java, which run
> on the client, not the server. *
>
> I do not believe your claim that Runbasic has "the capability of
> utilizing a simple [which] can create tables of information on
> the page without the need of reloading the page, iframes or division
> swapping." *- Hide quoted text -

I'm not quite sure what Richard meant by this. What Run BASIC does
well is simplify web development. It includes a lot of useful
capabilities in a single install, and it hides complexity behind a
simple interface.

-Carl Gundel
http://www.runbasic.com

richard

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 16:07:10 -0800 (PST), libbasic
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jan 1, 9:19*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Jani wrote:

>> Most people don't need any sort of programming language for the web.
>> plain old HTML webpages work fine for most people.

>That's fair, and perhaps Run BASIC isn't really on topic for this
>group except that HTML can be a gateway to real programming, and Run
>BASIC is a perfectly good next step.
>
>> If you want something to run on a standard Apache or IIS server
>> of the type you get when you buy hosting, it won't have Runbasic
>> available. My hosting provider gives me PHP, Perl, Python, C,
>> C++, Tcl, CGI and all the standard Apahce features. *No Runbasic.

>Well, not yet anyways. However you can download Run BASIC for
>free and try it out on your own computer. Some of our users like the
>free version. Some actually host their own server from home, and some
>use the runbasicnet.com hosting service.
>
>> If you are willing to buy a dedicated server or virtual server,
>> you can run what you like, but PoweBASIC is only slightly more
>> expensive that Runbasic, and is far more powerful and efficient.

>PowerBASIC is a very nice product, and I have used it for some of my
>own projects. It isn't a web development system so it may be more
>efficient at something, but Run BASIC is more efficient for web
>development.
>
>> Even so, Python is usually a better choice thatn either Runbasic
>> or PowerBASIC for web applications. *

>What is your justification for saying this? If someone asks which
>tool is better for a given job the answer is almost always "It
>depends." Run BASIC is specifically designed for building and hosting
>web apps, and it is designed to be very easy for the beginner.
>Several of our customers are very enthusiastically embracing Run BASIC
>after coming from more popular options like PHP.
>
>> None of these are competitors for javascript or Java, which run
>> on the client, not the server. *
>>
>> I do not believe your claim that Runbasic has "the capability of
>> utilizing a simple [which] can create tables of information on
>> the page without the need of reloading the page, iframes or division
>> swapping." *- Hide quoted text -

>I'm not quite sure what Richard meant by this. What Run BASIC does
>well is simplify web development. It includes a lot of useful
>capabilities in a single install, and it hides complexity behind a
>simple interface.
>
>-Carl Gundel
>http://www.runbasic.com

Allow me to introduce y'all to the author of "run basic".
As well as "Liberty Basic".
If I am wrong about how runbasic will implement my ideas, feel free to
correct me carl.

I had made a comment on the LB board about being able to create tables
that would magically be recreated "on the fly" rather than with the
standard need for html to swap divisions or use iframes. Alyce
responded graphically that it could.

Take for example, your "firstTable" project in the free edition and
add that to the "button" command example. Click button one shows table
one, clicking button two shows table two. Without leaving the page.
Right?

libbasic

On Jan 3, 11:17*pm, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> >capabilities in a single install, and it hides complexity behind a
> >simple interface.

> >-Carl Gundel
> >http://www.runbasic.com

> Allow me to introduce y'all to the author of "run basic".
> As well as "Liberty Basic".
> If I am wrong about how runbasic will implement my ideas, feel free to
> correct me carl.
>
> I had made a comment on the LB board about being able to create tables
> that would magically be recreated "on the fly" rather than with the
> standard need for html to swap divisions or use iframes. Alyce
> responded graphically that it could.
>
> Take for example, your "firstTable" project in the free edition and
> add that to the "button" command example. Click button one shows table
> one, clicking button two shows table two. Without leaving the page.

Probably the best way to explain this is that Run BASIC manages the
web page for you. You don't need to regenerate the page from scratch
each time. The HTML is generated for you, but you can inject any
additional markup you might want. It's hard to explain, so I'd
recommend that interested readers just go and watch the videos of Run
BASIC in use.

-Carl Gundel
http://www.runbasic.com

Jonathan N. Little

Ben C wrote:

> But don't things like Perl, Python, Tcl, Ruby come with tons of
> libraries for doing everything you could ever want to do for web
> programming?

Perl:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
use CGI qw(:standard -no_xhtml);

print header,html(head(title('Foo')),body(h1('A Simple Page'),p('This is
pretty simple!')));

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

richard

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 16:50:02 -0600, Ben C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2009-01-04, Guy Macon <http> wrote:
>>

>> I have looked at Run BASIC a lot more closely, and I wish to
>> modify and revise my stated opinion of it vs. other languages.
>>
>> The other languages I mentioned (PowerBASIC, Python) as well
>> as another fine product that I missed (FreeBASIC) are all fine
>> products, but they are general-purpose tools, while Run BASIC
>> is optimized for web programming (The author of Run BASIC has
>> a general purpose tool as well, Liberty BASIC).
>>
>> By being purpose-built for web programming, Run Basic does
>> a bunch of stuff automatically that I would have to program
>> in with a more general purpose language.

>But don't things like Perl, Python, Tcl, Ruby come with tons of
>libraries for doing everything you could ever want to do for web
>programming?
>
>Whether you build things into the language itself or put them in
>libraries usually doesn't make much difference (and the distinction is
>quite blurred anyway for some languages, e.g. Tcl).
>
>> So, upon reflection,
>> Run BASIC is a better tool for person who wants to do web
>> programming with the simplicity of a BASIC language.
>> [ http://www.runbasic.com/ ].
>>
>> A couple of comments for Carl Gundel:
>>
>> your FAQ says this:
>>
>> Q - Can I use Run BASIC to create applications that work with
>> GoDaddy or other webhosting companies?
>>
>> A - You will need to ask your webhosting company if they permit
>> the installation of custom software like Run BASIC.
>>
>> You might wish to mention that even if a hosting company does not
>> allow you to install Run BASIC on their servers, they may offer
>> virtual servers (you get an entire operating system and web server
>> running on a virtual machine) that let you run anything you wish.

>Why not just implement the Run BASIC interpreter in Perl? Then it could
>run on any server that lets you run Perl.

BASIC is by far a simpler language to understand. In these newer
versions Carl has made it so that most modern needs are easily met and
conform to the BASIC outline.

If you download the free version and try out a few of the included
sample projects, you'll quickly see how simple it is to learn.
You know what it takes to do a simplye "button" right?
In run basic all you do is define the button with a few attributes and
you're done.
The publishing of the page takes care of actual coding.

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2009-01-05, richard wrote:
> BASIC is by far a simpler language to understand. In these newer
> versions Carl has made it so that most modern needs are easily met and
> conform to the BASIC outline.
>
> If you download the free version and try out a few of the included
> sample projects, you'll quickly see how simple it is to learn.
> You know what it takes to do a simplye "button" right?
> In run basic all you do is define the button with a few attributes and
> you're done.

It does look interesting, but if even the author of the language
cannot code without using goto, it's far too primitive for real
programming.

Author: