Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > internet explorer doesn't work on 2003 server 64bit

internet explorer doesn't work on 2003 server 64bit

news

hello,
whenever I try to start IE on win2k3 64bit it fails to start.
The event viewer shows eventID 1000 with application error from
iexplorer. It shows urlmon.dll fails.

I was getting RPC errors from terminal server clients (this server is
setup as a term. server).

It had SP2 and I saw several posts saying the RPC errors were due to
SP2. I removed SP2 and the RPC errors went away.

However, now I can't get IE to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Oskar

Charlie Russel - MVP

The solution is almost never to roll back a service pack. There were some
issues with SP2 and _some_ network cards. The solution was to disable TCP
Chimney offload, ReceiveSideScaling (RSS) and jumbo frames.

Further, you don't specify which version of IE (32bit or 64bit).

I would reapply the SP, reset IE to it's default settings, and change the
settings on your network card(s) to disable the advanced features that are
causing the issues.
(HKLM:\system\CurrentControlSet\services\tcpip\Par ameters\, then:
* DisableTaskOffload =1
* EnableRSS=0
* EnableTCPA=0
* EnableTCPChimney=0

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"news" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello,
> whenever I try to start IE on win2k3 64bit it fails to start.
> The event viewer shows eventID 1000 with application error from iexplorer.
> It shows urlmon.dll fails.
>
> I was getting RPC errors from terminal server clients (this server is
> setup as a term. server).
>
> It had SP2 and I saw several posts saying the RPC errors were due to SP2.
> I removed SP2 and the RPC errors went away.
>
> However, now I can't get IE to work.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Oskar

news

Hi Charlie,
this is the most detailed explanation I've ever seen for why SP2 caused
the RPC problems! Thank you

I've reset IE (both 32 and 64 bit were failing with same errors) and
disabled third party plugins.

I'll do as you suggest and post the results.

Thank you!!

Oskar

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> The solution is almost never to roll back a service pack. There were
> some issues with SP2 and _some_ network cards. The solution was to
> disable TCP Chimney offload, ReceiveSideScaling (RSS) and jumbo frames.
>
> Further, you don't specify which version of IE (32bit or 64bit).
>
> I would reapply the SP, reset IE to it's default settings, and change
> the settings on your network card(s) to disable the advanced features
> that are causing the issues.
> (HKLM:\system\CurrentControlSet\services\tcpip\Par ameters\, then:
> * DisableTaskOffload =1
> * EnableRSS=0
> * EnableTCPA=0
> * EnableTCPChimney=0

news

HI Charlie,
I've reinstalled SP2 and did the registry changes as you suggested.
too bad I'm still getting the same problem (IE won't start and get
urlmon.dll error)

I did notice one thing. After I installed SP2 (but before I did the
registry changes you suggested) IE would crash as soon as I logged in
and the login was slow.

After I did the registry changes and rebooted, the login was fast. IE
wouldn't crash during login but only when I tried to start it (32 or 64bit).

Thanks,

Oskar

news wrote:
> Hi Charlie,
> this is the most detailed explanation I've ever seen for why SP2 caused
> the RPC problems! Thank you
>
> I've reset IE (both 32 and 64 bit were failing with same errors) and
> disabled third party plugins.
>
> I'll do as you suggest and post the results.
>
> Thank you!!
>
> Oskar
>

> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>> The solution is almost never to roll back a service pack. There were
>> some issues with SP2 and _some_ network cards. The solution was to
>> disable TCP Chimney offload, ReceiveSideScaling (RSS) and jumbo frames.
>>
>> Further, you don't specify which version of IE (32bit or 64bit).
>>
>> I would reapply the SP, reset IE to it's default settings, and change
>> the settings on your network card(s) to disable the advanced features
>> that are causing the issues.
>> (HKLM:\system\CurrentControlSet\services\tcpip\Par ameters\, then:
>> * DisableTaskOffload =1
>> * EnableRSS=0
>> * EnableTCPA=0
>> * EnableTCPChimney=0

cptjer88 cptjer88 is offline
Junior Member

I just experienced this exact issue. more careful review of event viewer showed event 1005, windows cannot access "..documents and settings\...\content.ie5\index.dat. Created alternate admin account, logged in and long story short, deleted \\(profile)\temporary internet folder logged back in as administrator and presto!! everything works!!

before figuring this out, converted out of terminal server mode. After, turned terminal server back on and problem did not come back!

Last edited by cptjer88; 07-21-2010 at 04:46 AM..