Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > problem using impersonation

problem using impersonation

Thomas

Hi all!

I have an asp.net web application that is configured for dynamic
impersonation via web.config (identity impersonate=true). The corresponding
virtual directory is protected by integrated windows authentication via IIS.

Some pages within my web application access a MS SQL Server database hosted
on a separate server. The database connection string is set to use a trusted
connection. Now the problem is, that sometimes the user's context is not
passed to the SQL server - in this case, I receive the following error
message: "Login for user (null) failed, not associated with a trusted
connection". The problem only occurs for some users, for the majorty of the
users there are no problems.

What might be the problem? In Active Directory, the servers are set to
"trusted for delegation", the web server runs IIS 6 on a Win2003 Server.

Thanks in advance

Thomas

L. L.

Check your SQL server to see if those users with login problems exist in the
database.

Lenny

"Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all!
>
> I have an asp.net web application that is configured for dynamic
> impersonation via web.config (identity impersonate=true). The

corresponding
> virtual directory is protected by integrated windows authentication via

IIS.

> Some pages within my web application access a MS SQL Server database

hosted
> on a separate server. The database connection string is set to use a

trusted
> connection. Now the problem is, that sometimes the user's context is not
> passed to the SQL server - in this case, I receive the following error
> message: "Login for user (null) failed, not associated with a trusted
> connection". The problem only occurs for some users, for the majorty of

the
> users there are no problems.
>
> What might be the problem? In Active Directory, the servers are set to
> "trusted for delegation", the web server runs IIS 6 on a Win2003 Server.
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Thomas

Thomas

"L. L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Check your SQL server to see if those users with login problems exist in

the
> database.
>
> Lenny

In my database I only have user groups and roles for these groups. The
affected users are members of the appropriate groups.

Thomas

> "Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I have an asp.net web application that is configured for dynamic
> > impersonation via web.config (identity impersonate=true). The

> corresponding
> > virtual directory is protected by integrated windows authentication via

> IIS.
> >
> > Some pages within my web application access a MS SQL Server database

> hosted
> > on a separate server. The database connection string is set to use a

> trusted
> > connection. Now the problem is, that sometimes the user's context is not
> > passed to the SQL server - in this case, I receive the following error
> > message: "Login for user (null) failed, not associated with a trusted
> > connection". The problem only occurs for some users, for the majorty of

> the
> > users there are no problems.
> >
> > What might be the problem? In Active Directory, the servers are set to
> > "trusted for delegation", the web server runs IIS 6 on a Win2003 Server.
> >

> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Thomas

L. L.

I am sure that it is SQL Server is denying those affected users. Maybe those
users belong to more than one groups or assigned to more than one roles And
if the database denies any one of the groups or any one of the roles does
not have the access to the db then it will fail on the connection.

L.L.
"Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "L. L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Check your SQL server to see if those users with login problems exist in

> the
> > database.
> >
> > Lenny

> In my database I only have user groups and roles for these groups. The
> affected users are members of the appropriate groups.
>
> Thomas
>

> > "Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi all!
> > >
> > > I have an asp.net web application that is configured for dynamic
> > > impersonation via web.config (identity impersonate=true). The

> > corresponding
> > > virtual directory is protected by integrated windows authentication

via
> > IIS.
> > >
> > > Some pages within my web application access a MS SQL Server database

> > hosted
> > > on a separate server. The database connection string is set to use a

> > trusted
> > > connection. Now the problem is, that sometimes the user's context is

not
> > > passed to the SQL server - in this case, I receive the following error
> > > message: "Login for user (null) failed, not associated with a trusted
> > > connection". The problem only occurs for some users, for the majorty

of
> > the
> > > users there are no problems.
> > >
> > > What might be the problem? In Active Directory, the servers are set to
> > > "trusted for delegation", the web server runs IIS 6 on a Win2003

Server.

> > > Thanks in advance
> > >
> > > Thomas

Thomas

"L. L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am sure that it is SQL Server is denying those affected users. Maybe

those
> users belong to more than one groups or assigned to more than one roles

And
> if the database denies any one of the groups or any one of the roles does
> not have the access to the db then it will fail on the connection.
>
> L.L.

Currently I think it's a delegation problem - the affected users cannot
connect from a specific computer while it works from another one. And for
95% of the users it works perfectly, although there are some users among
them that are part of the same groups as the affected ones. That's why I
think it's not a role or group problem.

Thomas