Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Are deleted pictures REALLY deleted?

John Holmes

richard "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:58:36 -0500, "WeReo_ScoTTy"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>There are some pictures and other stuff I send to the recycle bin. You
>>know, clean up the disc, defrag, awl that.
>>
>>I'm wondering if those items really do get deleted, are they
>>retrievable or do they just lurk inside my harddrive forever?
>>

> Yes and no.
> Generally, the "deletion" only involves removal of the directory
> information so that those bytes can be reused when needed.
> Some say that this data can be retrieved up to a level of like 32
> times. What ever the hell that means.
> So what you do is, rewrite over that image with another image like 50
> times. Every now and then using another image. That will like totally
> screw up them trying to find out what was there. Each image must have
> the precise same file path and name.
>
> Yeah they can find out what was there, to a point. As long as you
> haven't defragged.
>
> There are programs known as "shredders" that will rewrite the data in
> a file a few hundred times with random numbers so no one can trace it.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! Again, you don't even have the slightest clue,
richard. It all depends on the costs one would want to spend to reproduce
the data.

--
<snip>

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard wrote:

> John Holmes wrote:
>> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! Again, you don't even have the slightest clue,
>> richard. It all depends on the costs one would want to spend to
>> reproduce the data.

> Ok genius. Byte on this one.
> [and]
> now smartboy, answer me this.

You have such a way with words, RtS.

You also don't know how serious, expensive data recovery is done, or
apparently how a hard drive stores data. Check your blue pages for the
nearest FBI office and ask them for a detailed forensic analysis
explanation.

--
-bts

Evan Platt

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 15:01:19 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a file I want permanently destroyed for what ever reason.
>Now I know they can recover up to a certain depth.
>So knowing that, I rewrite the file byte for byte with other data 100
>times.

And just how are you going to guarantee you overwite that EXACT BLOCK
on the hard drive 100 times?

>Which file are they gonna recover?

Depends.

>Do you understand what defragging does to data? Once that happens,
>you're screwed. No more data to recover.

You really don't have a clue do you?

John Holmes

richard "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 19:07:45 +0100 (CET), John Holmes
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>richard "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>>> Yes and no.
>>> Generally, the "deletion" only involves removal of the directory
>>> information so that those bytes can be reused when needed.
>>> Some say that this data can be retrieved up to a level of like 32
>>> times. What ever the hell that means.
>>> So what you do is, rewrite over that image with another image like
>>> 50 times. Every now and then using another image. That will like
>>> totally screw up them trying to find out what was there. Each image
>>> must have the precise same file path and name.
>>>
>>> Yeah they can find out what was there, to a point. As long as you
>>> haven't defragged.
>>>
>>> There are programs known as "shredders" that will rewrite the data
>>> in a file a few hundred times with random numbers so no one can
>>> trace it.
>>>

>>BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! Again, you don't even have the slightest clue,
>>richard. It all depends on the costs one would want to spend to
>>reproduce the data.

> Ok genius. Byte on this one.
>
> I have a file I want permanently destroyed for what ever reason.
> Now I know they can recover up to a certain depth.
> So knowing that, I rewrite the file byte for byte with other data 100
> times.
> Which file are they gonna recover?
>
> now smartboy, answer me this.
> How much space then is required to maintain all of this information?
> If a byte can only contain either a 0 or 1, then you must have 32
> bytes for each time that single byte was changed.
> So your little 1kb file is actually 32kb ain't it?
> Oh please. Don't tell me they can actually go back through and recover
> every bit change because they can't.
>
> Do you understand what defragging does to data? Once that happens,
> you're screwed. No more data to recover.

Like I said, how much are you willing to pay to recover a deleted file?
All deleted data on any harddisk *can* be reproduced and defrag can't
change that fact. It's just a matter of money.

--
<snip>

D@Z

"dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsEJ6l.128780$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> richard wrote:
>
>> How much space then is required to maintain all of this information?
>> If a byte can only contain either a 0 or 1,

Just how sick must this data be to warrant total destruction from everyone
even the authorities,

Methinks Scotty has erased his ONLY copy of the mystical California Jam he
obsesses about and is desperate to retrieve it to validate his pathetic
life...just a thought!

iL_weReo

On Dec 31, 10:15*am, "D@Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> newsEJ6l.128780$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>
> > richard wrote:

> >> How much space then is required to maintain all of this information?
> >> If a byte can only contain either a 0 or 1,

> Just how sick must this data be to warrant *total destruction from everyone
> even the authorities,
>
> Methinks Scotty has erased his ONLY copy of the mystical California Jam he
> obsesses about and is desperate to retrieve it to validate his pathetic
> life...just a thought!

It isn't "sick," I just don't want it on my computer anymore.

D@Z

"iL_weReo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Dec 31, 10:15 am, "D@Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> newsEJ6l.128780$(E-Mail Removed)2...

>> Just how sick must this data be to warrant total destruction from
>> everyone
>> even the authorities,
>>
>> Methinks Scotty has erased his ONLY copy of the mystical California Jam
>> he
>> obsesses about and is desperate to retrieve it to validate his pathetic
>> life...just a thought!

> It isn't "sick," I just don't want it on my computer anymore.

well once you press delete and empty recycle bin *YOU* wont be able to see
it will you?

again... how sick is it that it has to be totally destroyed from the entire
universe?

hwf

iL_weReo wrote:
> On Dec 31, 10:15 am, "D@Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> newsEJ6l.128780$(E-Mail Removed)2...

>> Just how sick must this data be to warrant total destruction from everyone
>> even the authorities,
>>
>> Methinks Scotty has erased his ONLY copy of the mystical California Jam he
>> obsesses about and is desperate to retrieve it to validate his pathetic
>> life...just a thought!

> It isn't "sick," I just don't want it on my computer anymore.

I read an article somwhere that a guy installed linux on a drive
(various flavors & file systems) several times and that effectively
prevented data recovery.
There...now you have something useful to keep you occupied.

^_^