Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Moving files onto Vista

Moving files onto Vista

Ken Lee

Mum is thinking of getting a new computer which will have Vista as an OS
(doubt she would cope with any flavour of Linux).
She doesn't want to lose any data from her "old" computer . Now I seem to
remember that XP would move files effortlessly from an older system but I
have no idea if Vista would do this .
She has ME on her present system but doesn't have a CD burner so how would I
go about getting these files (a few JPGs and some E-mails) onto her "new"
system. In words of one sylable please as I am a bear of little brain

Old system:- ME, no burner, does have a NIC
New system:- Vista, DVD reader, Onboard LAN

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ken Lee wrote:

> .. how would I go about getting these files (a few JPGs and some
> E-mails) onto her "new" system.

Are you understating, or is that true? If it is just "a few..", why not
just email them to your/herself? Export the email to a file and do the
same.

Try a Linux LiveCD ... she may like it.

--
-bts

olfart

news:gjbdjf$7gc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ken Lee wrote:
>
>> .. how would I go about getting these files (a few JPGs and some
>> E-mails) onto her "new" system.

> Are you understating, or is that true? If it is just "a few..", why not
> just email them to your/herself? Export the email to a file and do the
> same.
>
> Try a Linux LiveCD ... she may like it.
>
> --

BARF

Linux Sux

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

olfart wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> Ken Lee wrote:
>>> (doubt she would cope with any flavour of Linux).
>>>
>>> .. how would I go about getting these files (a few JPGs and some
>>> E-mails) onto her "new" system.

>> Are you understating, or is that true? If it is just "a few..", why
>> not just email them to your/herself? Export the email to a file and
>> do the same.
>>
>> Try a Linux LiveCD ... she may like it.

> BARF
>
> Linux Sux

olfart, yer startin' sumpin' here... Ken Lee mentioned Linux, so a
comment about trying a LiveCD was an appropriate response.

Ok...

Outhouse Distress Sux

Why are you having your necessary, required-or-else-I'm-in-trouble
anti-virus program scan your outbound Usenet posts? Now, that is silly!
You don't trust your own application and operating system, I guess...

<lol!>

--
-bts

PeeCee

"Ken Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tJ96l.12557$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Mum is thinking of getting a new computer which will have Vista as an OS
> (doubt she would cope with any flavour of Linux).
> She doesn't want to lose any data from her "old" computer . Now I seem to
> remember that XP would move files effortlessly from an older system but I
> have no idea if Vista would do this .
> She has ME on her present system but doesn't have a CD burner so how would
> I go about getting these files (a few JPGs and some E-mails) onto her
> "new" system. In words of one sylable please as I am a bear of little
> brain
>
> Old system:- ME, no burner, does have a NIC
> New system:- Vista, DVD reader, Onboard LAN

Ken

The simplest solution is probably to buy a USB memory stick and simply drag
& drop from the old PC to the USB, then from USB to the new PC.
ME will be able to see the USB Memory Stick without drivers so should be
plug and play.
If you get a decent sized USB Stick it can also be her backup afterwards.
(They are quite cheap)

There is a 'Files and Settings Transfer' Wizard in Vista but unfortunately
it only works with Windows 2000 and above not ME.

Assuming you will be using a USB stick you will need to copy the following
files/folders if it is the usual configuration.
My Documents - Note when pasting into Vista, Vista will automatically move
her My Pictures to 'Pictures' and My Videos to 'Video's
Desktop - A lot of people forget this one.
Favourites - Use IE export wizard.
Address book - Search for .wab files or use the .csv Export Wizard in OE
Email messages - Look for the folder containing .dbx files if she uses OE
Outlook - If she uses Outlook for emailing look for .pst files, these
contain both emails and contacts.

Best
Paul.

wisdomkiller & pain

olfart wrote:

>> Try a Linux LiveCD ... she may like it.

> Linux Sux

Are you really in danger fumblefingering a binary virus code together like,
as an example,
X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*
while poasting intoxicated?

P.S.: look at my headers ...

wisdomkiller & pain

Ken Lee wrote:

> Mum is thinking of getting a new computer which will have Vista as an OS
> (doubt she would cope with any flavour of Linux).
> She doesn't want to lose any data from her "old" computer . Now I seem to
> remember that XP would move files effortlessly from an older system but I
> have no idea if Vista would do this .
> She has ME on her present system but doesn't have a CD burner so how would
> I go about getting these files (a few JPGs and some E-mails) onto her
> "new"
> system. In words of one sylable please as I am a bear of little brain
>
> Old system:- ME, no burner, does have a NIC
> New system:- Vista, DVD reader, Onboard LAN

Not certain if the "documents and settings"-transfer wizardry of Vista knows
anything about ME.
ME already had USB support, so try a usb stick - or, yes, a network cable
(guess the new onboard nic doesn't even need crossover anymore) in between
or to a cheap switch or (even better) a router with dhcp server capability.