Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Laptop built-in card reader on HP-laptop

Laptop built-in card reader on HP-laptop

Kue2

How do I get the card reader to display in my computer?
SD 2 GB card.Want to be able to copy pictures from card.When I first got the
computer this feature worked fine,since windows updates it does not.
Does the Beta SP2 fix this issue?

Thanks for any & all help

Charlie Russel - MVP

Check to see if the device driver is happily loaded (devmgr.msc). You may
need to reload the drivers for it. Also, you should check the HP site to see
if there are updated drivers. HP is pretty good about providing updates as
required. And making them possible to find.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I get the card reader to display in my computer?
> SD 2 GB card.Want to be able to copy pictures from card.When I first got
> the computer this feature worked fine,since windows updates it does not.
> Does the Beta SP2 fix this issue?
>
> Thanks for any & all help

R. C. White

Hi, Kue2.

And, after making sure the device is installed by using devmgmt.msc, as
Charlie suggested, use Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) to assign a "drive"
letter to that SD card reader.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I get the card reader to display in my computer?
> SD 2 GB card.Want to be able to copy pictures from card.When I first got
> the computer this feature worked fine,since windows updates it does not.
> Does the Beta SP2 fix this issue?
>
> Thanks for any & all help

Kue2

Hi Charlie
It states this in device Manager:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)
Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and
to see if there is a solution available.
I click on check for solution.......get nothing back????
When I first put the sd2gb card in the card reader slot the safely remove
device icon appears in the tray.So vista is aware of the device,yet it does
not show.....in my computer.
It is listed as an "generic volume" in Device Manager with the above error
as stated.
BTW SP2 beta does not fix this issue,as I just finished loading it.{:-{{{{{
When I go to problem reports & solution "no new solution are found"

Any other suggestions?Anything else I can try?
Before running windows updates & installing updates this same card was
visible in My computer,I did not have a problem with it.
I also goggled it but none of the "solutions" posted worked for me.

Thks for your help so far....

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Check to see if the device driver is happily loaded (devmgr.msc). You may
> need to reload the drivers for it. Also, you should check the HP site to
> see if there are updated drivers. HP is pretty good about providing
> updates as required. And making them possible to find.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>
> "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How do I get the card reader to display in my computer?
>> SD 2 GB card.Want to be able to copy pictures from card.When I first got
>> the computer this feature worked fine,since windows updates it does not.
>> Does the Beta SP2 fix this issue?
>>
>> Thanks for any & all help

Charlie Russel - MVP

OK, so it doesn't like the current driver. That's what it's telling you.
Check the HP site for updated drivers - that's the first step. Try loading
those drivers to see if that resolves the issue.

If that doesn't work, try deleting the device entirely from within Device
Manager. Then reboot and let it be re-detected. Point it at the new drivers
you downloaded from HP if it asks for drivers.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Charlie
> It states this in device Manager:
>
> This device cannot start. (Code 10)
> Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft
> and to see if there is a solution available.
> I click on check for solution.......get nothing back????
> When I first put the sd2gb card in the card reader slot the safely remove
> device icon appears in the tray.So vista is aware of the device,yet it
> does not show.....in my computer.
> It is listed as an "generic volume" in Device Manager with the above error
> as stated.
> BTW SP2 beta does not fix this issue,as I just finished loading
> it.{:-{{{{{
> When I go to problem reports & solution "no new solution are found"
>
> Any other suggestions?Anything else I can try?
> Before running windows updates & installing updates this same card was
> visible in My computer,I did not have a problem with it.
> I also goggled it but none of the "solutions" posted worked for me.
>
> Thks for your help so far....

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Check to see if the device driver is happily loaded (devmgr.msc). You may
>> need to reload the drivers for it. Also, you should check the HP site to
>> see if there are updated drivers. HP is pretty good about providing
>> updates as required. And making them possible to find.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>
>> "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> How do I get the card reader to display in my computer?
>>> SD 2 GB card.Want to be able to copy pictures from card.When I first got
>>> the computer this feature worked fine,since windows updates it does not.
>>> Does the Beta SP2 fix this issue?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any & all help

Kue2

as an add on:
If I take the Kodak dock off my computer & attach it to my wife's
computer,the pictures are seen & can be transferred.
The problem appears to be with a sd2 gb card & vista reading it.

"R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Kue2.
>
> And, after making sure the device is installed by using devmgmt.msc, as
> Charlie suggested, use Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) to assign a "drive"
> letter to that SD card reader.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2009 1202 in Win7 x64 6801)
>
> "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How do I get the card reader to display in my computer?
>> SD 2 GB card.Want to be able to copy pictures from card.When I first got
>> the computer this feature worked fine,since windows updates it does not.
>> Does the Beta SP2 fix this issue?
>>
>> Thanks for any & all help

Carlos

Hugh,
Check here:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-19183baaca93/

Carlos

"Kue2" wrote:

> Hi Charlie
> It states this in device Manager:
>
> This device cannot start. (Code 10)
> Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and
> to see if there is a solution available.
> I click on check for solution.......get nothing back????
> When I first put the sd2gb card in the card reader slot the safely remove
> device icon appears in the tray.So vista is aware of the device,yet it does
> not show.....in my computer.
> It is listed as an "generic volume" in Device Manager with the above error
> as stated.
> BTW SP2 beta does not fix this issue,as I just finished loading it.{:-{{{{{
> When I go to problem reports & solution "no new solution are found"
>
> Any other suggestions?Anything else I can try?
> Before running windows updates & installing updates this same card was
> visible in My computer,I did not have a problem with it.
> I also goggled it but none of the "solutions" posted worked for me.
>
> Thks for your help so far....

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Check to see if the device driver is happily loaded (devmgr.msc). You may
> > need to reload the drivers for it. Also, you should check the HP site to
> > see if there are updated drivers. HP is pretty good about providing
> > updates as required. And making them possible to find.
> >
> > --
> > Charlie.
> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
> >
> > "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> How do I get the card reader to display in my computer?
> >> SD 2 GB card.Want to be able to copy pictures from card.When I first got
> >> the computer this feature worked fine,since windows updates it does not.
> >> Does the Beta SP2 fix this issue?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any & all help

Kue2

Thanks again Charlie Carlos & RC nothing so far has worked,No "new" updated
drivers for the: Ricoh 5-1 Card Reader
I tried all suggestions so far.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, so it doesn't like the current driver. That's what it's telling you.
> Check the HP site for updated drivers - that's the first step. Try loading
> those drivers to see if that resolves the issue.
>
> If that doesn't work, try deleting the device entirely from within Device
> Manager. Then reboot and let it be re-detected. Point it at the new
> drivers you downloaded from HP if it asks for drivers.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>
> "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Charlie
>> It states this in device Manager:
>>
>> This device cannot start. (Code 10)
>> Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft
>> and to see if there is a solution available.
>> I click on check for solution.......get nothing back????
>> When I first put the sd2gb card in the card reader slot the safely remove
>> device icon appears in the tray.So vista is aware of the device,yet it
>> does not show.....in my computer.
>> It is listed as an "generic volume" in Device Manager with the above
>> error as stated.
>> BTW SP2 beta does not fix this issue,as I just finished loading
>> it.{:-{{{{{
>> When I go to problem reports & solution "no new solution are found"
>>
>> Any other suggestions?Anything else I can try?
>> Before running windows updates & installing updates this same card was
>> visible in My computer,I did not have a problem with it.
>> I also goggled it but none of the "solutions" posted worked for me.
>>
>> Thks for your help so far....

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Check to see if the device driver is happily loaded (devmgr.msc). You
>>> may need to reload the drivers for it. Also, you should check the HP
>>> site to see if there are updated drivers. HP is pretty good about
>>> providing updates as required. And making them possible to find.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>>
>>> "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Carlos

Hugh,
Are you using THIS latest driver from HP
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...442974&os=2093
Carlos

"Kue2" wrote:

> Thanks again Charlie Carlos & RC nothing so far has worked,No "new" updated
> drivers for the: Ricoh 5-1 Card Reader
> I tried all suggestions so far.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > OK, so it doesn't like the current driver. That's what it's telling you.
> > Check the HP site for updated drivers - that's the first step. Try loading
> > those drivers to see if that resolves the issue.
> >
> > If that doesn't work, try deleting the device entirely from within Device
> > Manager. Then reboot and let it be re-detected. Point it at the new
> > drivers you downloaded from HP if it asks for drivers.
> >
> > --
> > Charlie.
> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
> >
> > "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hi Charlie
> >> It states this in device Manager:
> >>
> >> This device cannot start. (Code 10)
> >> Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft
> >> and to see if there is a solution available.
> >> I click on check for solution.......get nothing back????
> >> When I first put the sd2gb card in the card reader slot the safely remove
> >> device icon appears in the tray.So vista is aware of the device,yet it
> >> does not show.....in my computer.
> >> It is listed as an "generic volume" in Device Manager with the above
> >> error as stated.
> >> BTW SP2 beta does not fix this issue,as I just finished loading
> >> it.{:-{{{{{
> >> When I go to problem reports & solution "no new solution are found"
> >>
> >> Any other suggestions?Anything else I can try?
> >> Before running windows updates & installing updates this same card was
> >> visible in My computer,I did not have a problem with it.
> >> I also goggled it but none of the "solutions" posted worked for me.
> >>
> >> Thks for your help so far....
> >>
> >> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

R. C. White

Hi, Kue2.

My only SD card reader is a simple one-slot device on the end of a USB
cable; it's from SanDisk and cost only about $20 about 5 years ago. I used
Disk Management to assign it Drive S:. My only use for it is to transfer
photos from my Nikon cameras to Adobe Photoshop Elements, and it works well
for that. (Well, I do use it occasionally to move photos back to the SD
card; it also works well as "just another drive", but is small and slow for
that function.) It works well in WinXP, Vista and now Windows 7 with no
special drivers, just what is built into the OS.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX