Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Password Problem

Password Problem

Jag Chan

Friends,

My friend is facing a problem with his password.

He had a few important word document, which he had password protected.

He then zipped them with winrar and saved them with password.

Now he can unzip the documents but cannot open the documents.

Whenever he tries to extract the documents from winrar it is asking for
word document password which he seems to have forgotten.

Is there any way of extracting the documents from winrar.

Thanks.

Evan Platt

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 05:13:18 +0000 (UTC), Jag Chan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Friends,
>
>My friend is facing a problem with his password.
>
>He had a few important word document, which he had password protected.
>
>He then zipped them with winrar and saved them with password.
>
>Now he can unzip the documents

Meaning he knows the ZIP password?

>but cannot open the documents.

>Whenever he tries to extract the documents from winrar it is asking for
>word document password which he seems to have forgotten.

Ok, I'm confused. Does he or does he not know the ZIP password? You're
saying "he can unzip the documents" but then "when he tries to extract
the documents ... it is asking for word document password". So which
is it? The ZIP password, or the DOC file password?

>Is there any way of extracting the documents from winrar.

Well, depending on which it is.. If it's a dictionary word - ie
bubble, turtle, etc vs random characters, ie wfa233csk20s , google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...le&btnG=Search
if it's a zip file or
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...le&btnG=Search
if it's the doc file.

Hans

Yeh shure, can your friend not ask this question?

"Jag Chan" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:gj9m9d$gs4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Friends,
>
> My friend is facing a problem with his password.
>
> He had a few important word document, which he had password protected.
>
> He then zipped them with winrar and saved them with password.
>
> Now he can unzip the documents but cannot open the documents.
>
> Whenever he tries to extract the documents from winrar it is asking for
> word document password which he seems to have forgotten.
>
> Is there any way of extracting the documents from winrar.
>
> Thanks.

Jag Chan

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 05:13:18 +0000 (UTC), Jag Chan <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Friends,
>>
>>My friend is facing a problem with his password.
>>
>>He had a few important word document, which he had password protected.
>>

> Ok, I'm confused. Does he or does he not know the ZIP password? You're
> saying "he can unzip the documents" but then "when he tries to extract
> the documents ... it is asking for word document password". So which
> is it? The ZIP password, or the DOC file password?
>
>>Is there any way of extracting the documents from winrar.

> Well, depending on which it is.. If it's a dictionary word - ie
> bubble, turtle, etc vs random characters, ie wfa233csk20s , google:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...crack+zip+file
> &btnG=Search if it's a zip file or
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...crack+DOC+file
> &btnG=Search if it's the doc file.

He cannot access the word documents.
When he opens winrar he can see his documents, but when he tries to
extract the documents it asks for the password.
Now to crack the password he needs to extract the files to folder which
he cannot do.
Regards.

Dominic Guthrie

Jag Chan belched:

> Friends,
>
> My friend is facing a problem with his password.
>
> He had a few important word document, which he had password protected.
>
> He then zipped them with winrar and saved them with password.
>
> Now he can unzip the documents but cannot open the documents.
>
> Whenever he tries to extract the documents from winrar it is asking
> for word document password which he seems to have forgotten.
>
> Is there any way of extracting the documents from winrar.
>
> Thanks.

Your friend is a brainless moron, which makes you a brainless moron and a
lying ****. Now you may **** right off and die.

wisdomkiller & pain

Jag Chan wrote:

> He cannot access the word documents.
> When he opens winrar he can see his documents, but when he tries to
> extract the documents it asks for the password.

So it is the archive password. Winrar alllows to view the content listing
without the password, but doesn't let you/him extract the content files.

> Now to crack the password he needs to extract the files to folder which
> he cannot do.

It is the _archive_ password, not the word password(s). But anyways I
suppose he forgot both of them

Jag Chan

wisdomkiller & pain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Jag Chan wrote:

>> Now to crack the password he needs to extract the files to folder which
>> he cannot do.

> It is the _archive_ password, not the word password(s). But anyways I
> suppose he forgot both of them

No it"s the word password that he forgot.

Evan Platt

Which is it? In another message, you said:

>He cannot access the word documents.

Which indicates he can extract the documents, but not open them in
word.

>When he opens winrar he can see his documents,

Well, of course, he can SEE the NAMES of the documents, but...

>but when he tries to extract the documents it asks for the password.

Ok, so it appears it's a ZIP password.

>Now to crack the password he needs to extract the files to folder which
>he cannot do.

So go back and read my first reply telling you what to do if it's a
ZIP file password.

Jag Chan

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gjaabt$df8$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Jag Chan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gja2vv$e5e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> snip
>>
>> When he opens winrar he can see his documents, but when he tries to
>> extract the documents it asks for the password.
>> Now to crack the password he needs to extract the files to folder
>> which he cannot do.

> If you are being accurate in saying the difficulty is "extracting" the
> doc file from the zip, then he has forgotten the Winrar password not
> the doc password.
> Winrar will AFAIK show the contents of a passworded zip (giving one
> the impression it doesn't have a password.)
> However Winrar will ask for the Winrar applied password when you go to
> "extract" any files from the zip archive.
> Note double clicking on a file in a passworded zip archive is the
> equivalent of using the 'extract' tools.
>
> Get him to look very carefully at the window asking for the 'password'
> Is this password window created by Winrar or Word?
> I suspect it will be the zip password he is being asked for not the
> doc.
>
> Mind you it strikes me someone so muddle minded as to forget a
> password on such an important document wouldn't have the gumption to
> use Google:
> http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...password&meta=
> http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...password&meta=
>

> P.

Dear PeeCee,

Thank You very very much.

My friend is a greatly relieved man, thanks to your help.

Let me take this opportunity to wish you a very HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Regards.

Jag Chan

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 10:53:22 +0000 (UTC), Jag Chan <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>No it"s the word password that he forgot.

> Which is it? In another message, you said:
>
>>He cannot access the word documents.

> Which indicates he can extract the documents, but not open them in
> word.
>
>>When he opens winrar he can see his documents,

> Well, of course, he can SEE the NAMES of the documents, but...
>
>>but when he tries to extract the documents it asks for the password.

> Ok, so it appears it's a ZIP password.
>
>>Now to crack the password he needs to extract the files to folder which
>>he cannot do.

> So go back and read my first reply telling you what to do if it's a
> ZIP file password.

You were right.

The problem was that he forgot to use zip password.

As he was communicating through phone I too couldn"t get the full
picture.

Thank You very much for your help.

Wish you a very HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Thanks & Regards.