Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > domain names

domain names

richard

Anyone know the URL for where the domain names as stored by ICANN?

I have a program, not teleport pro, that will let me retrieve the data
from ANY website.
domainsurfer.com used to have a search engine that tapped the files
and gave you a list based on your search.

Yeah I know there are a lot of programs out there that search these
files and that, but don't give me a full list.

Evan Platt

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:59:57 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Anyone know the URL for where the domain names as stored by ICANN?

It's likely not on a URL but a FTP site.

There's none I'm aware of.

>I have a program, not teleport pro, that will let me retrieve the data
>from ANY website.

Uhhh.. What? Teleport pro is a web spider program.

>domainsurfer.com used to have a search engine that tapped the files
>and gave you a list based on your search.
>
>Yeah I know there are a lot of programs out there that search these
>files and that, but don't give me a full list.

Ok.. WTF are you talking about? You go from asking about a list of
every domain name to spidering a single website.

Evan Platt

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 13:10:32 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Obviously ye know little of how it works.
>URL would include ftp.

Read up, stoopid. If you want a FTP, say FTP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL

No ****?

You're ****ing stoopid.

>You might want to learn about urlmon.
>It's that little dll on your windows system that lets you connect to
>the internet.

You might want to learn about kissing my ass.

Once again, you'll get no more help from me.

Heard of google? Use it, dumbass.

Bert Hyman

In news:(E-Mail Removed) richard
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks for all the totally useless info.

Well, that's the surest way to convince people to help you out.

> Somewhere along the way, any browser has to contact one of these
> servers in order to resolve displaying the related website.

No, not at all.

Good luck.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard wrote:

> Thanks for all the totally useless info.
> All I'm after is the registered domain names, not the whois stuff. As
> I understand it, there is a root server which holds the TLD's.
> Another set of servers, 13 in all I think, contain the actual
> registered names.
>
> Somewhere along the way, any browser has to contact one of these
> servers in order to resolve displaying the related website.
>
> So where and how do they do this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_nameserver

Somehow I suspect you won't be able to access them for the purpose of
downloading all the possible domain names that they may track...

--
-bts

Mike Easter

richard wrote:
> "Mike Easter"
>> richard wrote:
>>> Anyone know the URL for where the domain names as stored by ICANN?

>> I don't know what this question means.

>> ... and/but dns and dig for the name have different information.

> Thanks for all the totally useless info.

The best way for you to get some info which is more useful to you is to do
a better job of asking a question.

> All I'm after is the registered domain names, not the whois stuff.

What you were calling useless info is information on record by the
registrar of 'the registered domainn names'. If you want name resolution,
that is a different question and has nothing to do with 'registered domain
names'. Domain name registration is one thing; domain name resolution is
another.

> As I understand it, there is a root server which holds the TLD's.
> Another set of servers, 13 in all I think, contain the actual
> registered names.

I was using the example of newsguy.com earlier. In the process for
resolving its name to an IP - the root servers are queried and get the
names and addresses of the nameservice which is queried for the address of
the name.

> Somewhere along the way, any browser has to contact one of these
> servers in order to resolve displaying the related website.
>
> So where and how do they do this?

Your browser gets the IP address from the DNS nameservice configured by
your network configuration. Then your browser contacts the webserver at
that address and gives it the name and pathway of the page you want. The
webserver at that address may be serving many names, so the webserver at
the IP cares a lot about what name you want, and very often you cannot get
what you want by giving the webserver just the IP address in the form
http://74.209.136.75/ - but in the case of newsguy you can.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

richard wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

>> I was using the example of newsguy.com earlier. In the process for
>> resolving its name to an IP - the root servers are queried and get the
>> names and addresses of the nameservice which is queried for the
>> address of the name.

>> Your browser gets the IP address from the DNS nameservice configured by
>> your network configuration.

> And exactly how is that done? Somewhere in the mess there is one
> central place where, for example, all the dot com names are listed. If
> they weren't listed centrally, then more than one person could own the
> same domain name which would cause a mess.

The DNS structure and process is what you are trying to get your head
around.

Rather than me typing a lot of words, I recommend that you look at the
explanation in the Domain Name System entry^1 in the wikipedia,
specifically in the section called 'In the real world', because the
realworld part is simpler than the theoretical model, because bringing the
cache into the picture makes a very elaborate process much simpler.

> That IS what ICANN/IANA does.

No. It would be better to just say that iana is in charge of the root
servers which play a role in the resolution process; whereas what icann
does is oversee the registrars who register names and nameservers.

> When you do a search for a domain name to see if it's taken, you are
> requesting information housed on that main domain name server. The
> registrar may have it's own domain name database but not necessarily
> the entire list.
>
> But I suppose what I could do is write my own little program that
> would automatically verify if any domain name with that specified set
> of characters exists or not. That would of course, take one hell of a
> long time to do. If I could just access the site's page(s) where they
> store this information, I could retrieve that information faster.
>
> So what URL do I need?

If you mean, "Where is a url I could use to see whether or not a
domainname exists (is registered to someone?" as opposed to "where is a
url I could use to see what is the A address of a particular existing
domainname which also presently resolves?

That is, your finding out whether or not you can have any particular name
attached to any particular toplevel name -- if it is available -- is a
different project than your finding out if any particular name which is
currently registered to someone, that is *is already registered* if that
registered name currently has nameservice which resolves it to an IP
address or not.

To my interpretation, you are coming at your question here 'wrongly' -- by
trying to ask a generic question which makes some assumptions which don't
work. Instead you should come at your question here by stating one
specific and simple example. Such as "How do I look up whether or not
blahblah.org is registered to someone or not?" --or-- "How do I look up
whether or not blahblah.org is registered to somone, and if it is so
registered, what is its IP address?"

--
Mike Easter

Evan Platt

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:43:48 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>And exactly how is that done? Somewhere in the mess there is one
>central place where, for example, all the dot com names are listed. If
>they weren't listed centrally, then more than one person could own the
>same domain name which would cause a mess.

<SNIP>

>So what URL do I need?

You don't. AFAIK, there is no 'central list'.

Think of it as a bank - let's say you could call up a bank and ask for
the balance (IP) of an account. So you could say "What's the balance
of account 123456" and get it, but not "What's the balance of every
account?"

Plus, with your attitude, you aren't going to get help from anyone
who's likely to be able to help you.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard wrote:

> And exactly how is that done? Somewhere in the mess there is one
> central place where, for example, all the dot com names are listed. If
> they weren't listed centrally, then more than one person could own the
> same domain name which would cause a mess.

You answered that question in your next paragraph. ICANN keeps the data
- the master list.

> That IS what ICANN/IANA does.They maintain those registered names.
> When you register a name, that name is registered through a
> registrar, but is also regiestered on the main domain name server.
> THAT is the URL I am looking for. That server has to be available
> otherwise a registrar could not know if a domain name has already
> been reserved.

In simple terms, the registrars feed a query to ICANN containing a
proposed domain name, and it returns if exists TRUE or FALSE. If TRUE,
it may tell you who owns it. If FALSE, it lets you buy it. It does not
return the entire listing of all the millions of names.

> When you do a search for a domain name to see if it's taken, you are
> requesting information housed on that main domain name server. The
> registrar may have it's own domain name database but not necessarily
> the entire list.

The registrar needs to access the master list, as other registrars may
have just sold the same name. Logic says they don't store locally.

> But I suppose what I could do is write my own little program that

In Basic?

> would automatically verify if any domain name with that specified set
> of characters exists or not. That would of course, take one hell of a
> long time to do. If I could just access the site's page(s) where they
> store this information, I could retrieve that information faster.

There is no *page* that displays all registered domains.

You could just use Godaddy to see if a name exists or not. You yourself
will not have access to any database owned by ICANN.

http://godaddy.com/ is a good one.

--
-bts

hwأf

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:43:48 -0500, richard aided th' terraists with the
following claims :

> But I suppose what I could do is write my own little program that
> would automatically verify if any domain name with that specified set
> of characters exists or not. That would of course, take one hell of a
> long time to do. If I could just access the site's page(s) where they
> store this information, I could retrieve that information faster.
>
> So what URL do I need?

www.dnstools.com

Just guessing that you dont know how to do a whois, etc.
HTH

http://www.alternet.org