Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > UTStarcom GF-210 WiFi/SIP/GSM Handset - Any reports or views

UTStarcom GF-210 WiFi/SIP/GSM Handset - Any reports or views

Jack

I notice that the UTStarcom GF-210 handset is available from Sipgate
for 49. On the face of it, this works as a GSM mobile and WiFi
handset to allow logging into a SIP provider.

The cost seems very low when compared with something like a Nokia
6300i which appears to me to do the same job.

Does anyone have any experience of this handset and it's reliability.
Am I missing something here looking at the price v facilities?

Jack.

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) l.de>,
Jack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I notice that the UTStarcom GF-210 handset is available from Sipgate
>for 49. On the face of it, this works as a GSM mobile and WiFi
>handset to allow logging into a SIP provider.
>
>The cost seems very low when compared with something like a Nokia
>6300i which appears to me to do the same job.
>
>Does anyone have any experience of this handset and it's reliability.
>Am I missing something here looking at the price v facilities?

I hope the SIP side is better than their F1000Gs... Which I bought some
time back. It worked, but was never that stable. It seemed to get worse
after I upgraded the firmware in it. Shame really - it's now gathering
dust.

What I *really* want is a Mobile phone with a DECT interface in it,
not rubbishy Wi-Fi.

The biggest issues I had with the Wi-Fi F1000G was actually making it
connect to a hot-spot when away from home. Most hot-spots need some sort
of authentication (even the free ones I've used recently), so require
a web browser to be part of the device - not much of an issue with a
laptop, harder with my Nokia E90, but not impossible (that is, when the
hot-spot doesn't block SIP!), but how will this work in anything other
than a network over which you have control of?

Gordon

A.N. Onymous Esq

news:(E-Mail Removed) idual.de...
>I notice that the UTStarcom GF-210 handset is available from Sipgate
> for 49. On the face of it, this works as a GSM mobile and WiFi
> handset to allow logging into a SIP provider.
>
> The cost seems very low when compared with something like a Nokia
> 6300i which appears to me to do the same job.
>
> Does anyone have any experience of this handset and it's reliability.
> Am I missing something here looking at the price v facilities?
>
> Jack.

Is this phone locked to Sipgate and I presume you supply your own SIM for
the GSM bit?

Graham.

> What I *really* want is a Mobile phone with a DECT interface in it,
> not rubbishy Wi-Fi.

I suppose that would make it sex-band??

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Jack

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:44:22 -0000, "A.N. Onymous Esq" <no.spam@me>
wrote:

>Is this phone locked to Sipgate and I presume you supply your own SIM for
>the GSM bit?

This thread hasn't generated very many replies so I imagine this phone
isn't very popular. Maybe I should take that as a bad omen.

I don't believe it is locked to Sipgate, rather you just put in your
Sip provider and WiFi settings and it logs onto your service via a
wireless access point. There is an option to have the phone
pre-configured to Sipgate which costs an extra 19 I believe.

I also assume that you put your own GSM SIM in the phone for normal on
the move 'mobile' operation.

It's a pity that nobody seems to have one or know of one in use as
even at its fairly low cost it could be a complete waste of money if
the performance is poor.

mymail@hotmail.co.uk

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 11:36:57 +0000, Jack
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's a pity that nobody seems to have one or know of one in use as
>even at its fairly low cost it could be a complete waste of money if
>the performance is poor.

Can't comment on this particular one but I have two F1000's and they
are nothing short of perfect .