Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > supervisor password

supervisor password

George Prezioso

How can I get rid of a dropdown menu that asks for a supervisor pass word
every time you get on line , called a "CONTENT ADVISOR"

John Holmes

George Prezioso "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> How can I get rid of a dropdown menu that asks for a supervisor pass

word
> every time you get on line , called a "CONTENT ADVISOR"

Mike Easter or Evan Platt will reply soon asking "what OS' and "what
program"

Mark my words.

--
<snip>

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

George Prezioso wrote:

> How can I get rid of a dropdown menu that asks for a supervisor pass
> word every time you get on line , called a "CONTENT ADVISOR"

Looks as if your parents don't want you visiting porn sites.

If you should happen to be the actual parent ... well, you could perhaps
uninstall this Content Advisor. How did it get there in the first place?

--
-bts

George Prezioso

I am the parent How do you uninstall it?

news:gj83ep$ehk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> George Prezioso wrote:
>
> > How can I get rid of a dropdown menu that asks for a supervisor pass
> > word every time you get on line , called a "CONTENT ADVISOR"

> Looks as if your parents don't want you visiting porn sites.
>
> If you should happen to be the actual parent ... well, you could perhaps
> uninstall this Content Advisor. How did it get there in the first place?
>
> --
> -bts
> -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

chuckcar

"George Prezioso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:8OL5l.99776$(E-Mail Removed):

> How can I get rid of a dropdown menu that asks for a supervisor pass
> word every time you get on line , called a "CONTENT ADVISOR"

Ask your dad if you can visit porn sites yet.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

George Prezioso wrote:
[top-posting fixed]

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> George Prezioso wrote:
>>> How can I get rid of a dropdown menu that asks for a supervisor pass
>>> word every time you get on line , called a "CONTENT ADVISOR"

>> Looks as if your parents don't want you visiting porn sites.
>>
>> If you should happen to be the actual parent ... well, you could
>> perhaps uninstall this Content Advisor. How did it get there in the
>> first place?

> I am the parent How do you uninstall it?

Well, what is the name of the product? "content advisor" finds 274,000
hits at Google.

In the event that those two generic words are actually the name of the
product (there are hundreds of such products available), the very first
hit at Google is from Microsoft. Are you using Internet Explorer?

<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/using/howto/security/contentadv/config.mspx>

Down the page is the topic, "Turn off Content Advisor". It says:
"3. In the Password box, type your supervisor password, and click OK.
All users will once again have free access to all sites."

This content advisor is not activated by default. You had to turn it on
(or someone with access to your PC). The first time you did that, it
asked you for a password to use. Do you remember what the password was?

There are 23,700 hits for what to do if you forgot this password.
Google for: internet explorer "content advisor" forgot password
The first two are:

<http://www.pchell.com/support/contentadvisor.shtml>
<http://www.ieinfosite.co.uk/tip_view.asp?id=16>

...which leads me to believe that this advisor will only prevent really
clueless people from surfing those porn sites... :-/

I am the walrus.

--
-bts

richard

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 14:11:16 GMT, "George Prezioso" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>How can I get rid of a dropdown menu that asks for a supervisor pass word
>every time you get on line , called a "CONTENT ADVISOR"

RTFM

I found the answer simply by going into tools>>internet options.
Click the content tab.
Now click "enable" under "conent advisor".
In the new window click the "general" tab.
Ok it sounds redundant but click "create password" and create one.
Once done, uncheck the box "supervisor can type a password......".

Interesting that one of the choices for "content detection" was "user
generated content". Well duhh. Wouldn't that be half of the internet
if not more?

George Prezioso

My thanks to Richard
I went into the Internet Explorer retyped the password and it deleted it
self off the computer
Again Thank you Richard

news:gj86ja$h2g$(E-Mail Removed)...

<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...contentadv/con
fig.mspx>

> Down the page is the topic, "Turn off Content Advisor". It says:
> "3. In the Password box, type your supervisor password, and click OK.
> All users will once again have free access to all sites."
>
> This content advisor is not activated by default. You had to turn it on
> (or someone with access to your PC). The first time you did that, it
> asked you for a password to use. Do you remember what the password was?
>
> There are 23,700 hits for what to do if you forgot this password.
> Google for: internet explorer "content advisor" forgot password
> The first two are:
>
> <http://www.pchell.com/support/contentadvisor.shtml>
> <http://www.ieinfosite.co.uk/tip_view.asp?id=16>
>
> ..which leads me to believe that this advisor will only prevent really
> clueless people from surfing those porn sites... :-/
>

> I am the walrus.
>
> --
> -bts
> -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

Evan Platt

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:07:18 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Interesting that one of the choices for "content detection" was "user
>generated content". Well duhh. Wouldn't that be half of the internet
>if not more?

No, not likely.

User generated is a person - individual.

For example, www.microsoft.com isn't user generated.

www.geocities.com/someidiotshomepage is user generated.

VanguardLH

George Prezioso wrote:

> How can I get rid of a dropdown menu that asks for a supervisor pass word
> every time you get on line , called a "CONTENT ADVISOR"

Ask your parents (or whomever is the owner of the computer you are
using) to disable Content Advisor in Internet Explorer. It is very easy
to reset the password just by Googling for it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%2B"internet+explorer"+%2B"content+adviso r"+%2Bpassword

But then to be editing the registry means you can't be logged under your
limited Windows account (i.e., you will admin privileges). If you don't
have an admin-level account or don't know the password for the
Administrator account then, again, go ask your parents or whomever owns
that computer to disable Content Advisor in IE.