Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Administrator to Reset User password

Reply
Thread Tools

Administrator to Reset User password

 
 
Homer J.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2008
What is the best approach for an administrator to reset a User Password.

I have a user that has forgot his password and can't remember his security
question. I thought about just resetting his password...but everything I
find requires you to know the security question and answer.

....or would it be best to change their security question and answer?

This wasn't something that I factored in to my project. Some sound advice
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
--
Homer J.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mr. Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2008

"Homer J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the best approach for an administrator to reset a User Password.
>
> I have a user that has forgot his password and can't remember his security
> question. I thought about just resetting his password...but everything I
> find requires you to know the security question and answer.
>
> ...or would it be best to change their security question and answer?
>
> This wasn't something that I factored in to my project. Some sound advice
> would be greatly appreciated.



Set it to a default or in other words reset the psw with the application
forcing a change of psw on the user's psw the next time the user logs-in
with the reset psw into the application. It could also take the path of give
security question and answer too on the reset.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul Shapiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-28-2008
In my web.config I disable password retrieval and enable password reset.
There's also a setting for requiresQuestionAndAnswer, which you can enable
or disable. When disabled, the user just has to supply the username in the
PasswordRecovery control. I added some code so they can enter their email
address or the user name. If whatever they enter doesn't exist as a
username, I try it as a user email address. If it matches, I replace what
they typed with the user name.

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OEZ5%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Homer J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What is the best approach for an administrator to reset a User Password.
>>
>> I have a user that has forgot his password and can't remember his
>> security
>> question. I thought about just resetting his password...but everything I
>> find requires you to know the security question and answer.
>>
>> ...or would it be best to change their security question and answer?
>>
>> This wasn't something that I factored in to my project. Some sound
>> advice
>> would be greatly appreciated.

>
>
> Set it to a default or in other words reset the psw with the application
> forcing a change of psw on the user's psw the next time the user logs-in
> with the reset psw into the application. It could also take the path of
> give security question and answer too on the reset.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Homer J.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-28-2008
Interesting. If the "RequiresQuestionAndAnswer" is set to false, will it
generate an Email with a temporary password? Right now I have it set so that
when they answer the question correctly An Email w/Temp Passord is set. But,
as I explained in my original post, the user forgot the answer to his preset
security question as well. What can I say...id10t error.

--
Homer J.


"Paul Shapiro" wrote:

> In my web.config I disable password retrieval and enable password reset.
> There's also a setting for requiresQuestionAndAnswer, which you can enable
> or disable. When disabled, the user just has to supply the username in the
> PasswordRecovery control. I added some code so they can enter their email
> address or the user name. If whatever they enter doesn't exist as a
> username, I try it as a user email address. If it matches, I replace what
> they typed with the user name.
>
> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OEZ5%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Homer J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> What is the best approach for an administrator to reset a User Password.
> >>
> >> I have a user that has forgot his password and can't remember his
> >> security
> >> question. I thought about just resetting his password...but everything I
> >> find requires you to know the security question and answer.
> >>
> >> ...or would it be best to change their security question and answer?
> >>
> >> This wasn't something that I factored in to my project. Some sound
> >> advice
> >> would be greatly appreciated.

> >
> >
> > Set it to a default or in other words reset the psw with the application
> > forcing a change of psw on the user's psw the next time the user logs-in
> > with the reset psw into the application. It could also take the path of
> > give security question and answer too on the reset.

>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to reset Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000 password if you forgot or lost windows password passwings Software 4 11-17-2011 06:52 AM
2473-1 Systems Administrator - IBM RequisitePro Administrator,Chicago,Illinois.- Isaac Java 0 10-20-2010 07:44 PM
need administrator...but no administrator century.dave Windows 64bit 2 12-09-2007 12:47 PM
How can Administrator change the Password of existing User, without knowing his Old Password in Administer Security Tool ? Luqman ASP .Net 5 07-12-2007 09:29 AM
CISCO 7XX / 761 password reset or reset to factory defaults Philipp Flesch Cisco 3 06-18-2006 07:47 PM



Advertisments