Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Orange photos with digital camera

Orange photos with digital camera

gcotterl@hotmail.com

I have a four-month-old Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 digital camera which I
always keep set at the IA ("Intelligent Auto") mode.

When I take indoor photos (using the camera's built-in flash) of
people lit by incandescent lights, the photos have an strong orange
hue. (It doesn't matter if the people are 3 feet away or 20 feet away
from the camera).

What am I doing wrong?

Chris Malcolm

> I have a four-month-old Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 digital camera which I
> always keep set at the IA ("Intelligent Auto") mode.

> When I take indoor photos (using the camera's built-in flash) of
> people lit by incandescent lights, the photos have an strong orange
> hue. (It doesn't matter if the people are 3 feet away or 20 feet away
> from the camera).

> What am I doing wrong?

You don't give enough details of your settings, but you're probably
using the flash as fill, so that equal weight is given to the
tungsten, which is orange compared to the colour temp of the
flash. You either need to overpower the local incandescents with your
flash, or use an orange gel to on your flash to match the colours with
approp colour temp adjustment in camera or later in editor.

--
Chris Malcolm

wannabesomeonecares@gmail.com

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:0b2e9153-b2f4-4d08-
(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have a four-month-old Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 digital camera which I
> always keep set at the IA ("Intelligent Auto") mode.
>
> When I take indoor photos (using the camera's built-in flash) of
> people lit by incandescent lights, the photos have an strong orange
> hue. (It doesn't matter if the people are 3 feet away or 20 feet away
> from the camera).
>
> What am I doing wrong?

The camera knows you are using the built-in flash and automatically
uses the white balance for the flash.

You may try to change the white balance in your camera to
"incandescent" but your camera may ignore that because you are using
the built-in flash. If that is the case, then you have to buy a sheet
of Lee filter gel Full CTO and cut a small little piece to tape over
the built-in flash so that the flash comes out the same color as the
indoor incandescent lighting. Then you process the photo in your
computer to set the white balance in your software to "incandescent".
That will remove the orange hue in your photo.

http://vistek.ca/store/ProPhotoLight...ng-filter.aspx

Regards,

Wannabe
=======

sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 20:23:14 -0800 (PST), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have a four-month-old Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 digital camera which I
>always keep set at the IA ("Intelligent Auto") mode.
>
>When I take indoor photos (using the camera's built-in flash) of
>people lit by incandescent lights, the photos have an strong orange
>hue. (It doesn't matter if the people are 3 feet away or 20 feet away
>from the camera).
>
>What am I doing wrong?

I don't know your camera, but it sure sounds like the flash is
not really needed. Can you turn it off and use only the available
light? You can't really get it right after the exposure with mixed
light, so you need to get one color of light.

sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 11:30:04 -0600, Allen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>A few years ago I was trying to get some pictures of my granddaughter in
>a school production. The setting was a "cafetorium" with tungsten light
>on stage, fluorescent lighting in the seating area, and sunlight
>streaming in through the windows, and the built-in flash was too weak to
>do much good. I finally just decided on using an edit program to deal
>with it, as there hadn't been much time between on arrival and the start
>of the production. The results were, shall we say.....interesting.
>Allen

In that situation it is time for the retro B&W look.