Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photoshop recommendations

Photoshop recommendations

Justin C

> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 08:00:43 -0500, Neil Jones
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote Re Photoshop
> recommendations:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am amateur photographer, only up to the point of taking pictures. For
>>the pictures I shoot, I do not process the pictures or enhance them with
>>touch ups etc. The pictures that turn out good are printed and the rest
>>are saved.
>>
>>I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
>>that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
>>To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
>> They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
>>version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
>>photos? What would be the price range?
>>
>>Thank you in advance for any help.

PhotoShop is a *very* powerful application and is likely to take quite a
bit of time to learn to use well. I've been using it for years and still
barely use any of it's features. It's much more than something that'll
just make the most of your images. You may find either Aperture or
LightRoom more suited to your needs, check them out before spending the
money on PhotoShop.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

David J Taylor

TheRealSteve wrote:
[]
> I used to use Paint Shop Pro all the time but I stopped after PSP 9
> and switched over to Gimp because one of the things I do is to free
> rotate images to correct my lopsided holding of the camera by a degree
> or two and sometimes perspective correction for when a wide angle is
> looking up or down. PSP 9 doesn't do that as well as Gimp because
> Gimp can use the Lanczos interpolator for free rotation, perspective
> correction, resizing, etc., and the best PSP 9 can manage is bicubic.
>
> Have they added the option to use lanczos interpolator to the latest
> version of Paint Shop Pro? If so, I might try it out. If not, I'll
> pass.
>
> Steve

I can't speak for the latest version, but in PSP-10 bicubic is the best
available. I've always found that more than adequate, as I always do the
corrections such as rotation and perspective as the first step. I simply
add a little sharpening to the output image if needed, and usually it's
not needed.

Pity cameras don't include an element of sensor rotation and optional
automatic horizon detection function.....

Cheers,
David

ray

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 08:00:43 -0500, Neil Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am amateur photographer, only up to the point of taking pictures. For
> the pictures I shoot, I do not process the pictures or enhance them with
> touch ups etc. The pictures that turn out good are printed and the rest
> are saved.
>
> I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
> that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
> To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
> They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
> version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
> photos? What would be the price range?

Suggest you try GIMP first - it's free. It will probably do everything you
need. There are several online tutorials.

> Thank you in advance for any help.
>
> Happy Holidays!
>
> NJ
>
> PS - What are plugins? Do you need to buy them separately from
> Photoshop?

plugins are basically code that folks have written to do additional things
inside the main program - added functionality.

Rich Greenberg

In article <eoq4l.1243$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Neil Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am amateur photographer, only up to the point of taking pictures. For
>the pictures I shoot, I do not process the pictures or enhance them with
>touch ups etc. The pictures that turn out good are printed and the rest
>are saved.
>
>I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
>that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
>To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
> They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
>version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
>photos? What would be the price range?

I would suggest getting Irfanview, which is shareware and will do many
of the things that photoshop will do. Then when you see what you need
and if Irfanview can't do it, then start looking at photoshop again.

www.irfanview.com

If you do get it, please pay the shareware fee, its well worth it. 10
euros is suggested. Thats 15-20 US$.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L

Matt Ion

Neil Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am amateur photographer, only up to the point of taking pictures. For
> the pictures I shoot, I do not process the pictures or enhance them with
> touch ups etc. The pictures that turn out good are printed and the rest
> are saved.
>
> I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
> that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
> To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
> They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
> version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
> photos? What would be the price range?
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.
>
> Happy Holidays!
>
> NJ
>
> PS - What are plugins? Do you need to buy them separately from Photoshop?

Hey Neil, lots of good suggestions here, but something I haven't seen
mentioned yet, is that you should be able to download free demos of most
of this commercial software, and see what suits your needs.

From Adobe, there's Photoshop (for the hardcore), Elements
(Photoshop-Lite), and Lightroom (different workflow, might suit you
better). AFAIK there are free time-limited demos of all of them.

From Corel (bought PSP from JASC a couple versions ago), there's Paint
Shop Pro (latest version is 12, aka Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 -
time-limited demo downloadable), or if you dig around, you can find a
freebie version of JASC Paint Shop Pro 7.

There's tons of freeware/open-source/shareware out there that will
probably also do most of what you need - take a look at IrfanView,
Picasa, the latest GIMP, Paint.NET, or Pixel32.

Long and short of it is, there's no reason to shell out money for a
solution without trying a bunch of different ones first and seeing what
suits you best. Don't worry about what's "most popular" - there's lots
of users and lots of support out there for all the different options. A
lot of Photoshop's "popularity" is people who, like you, simply think
Photoshop is the way to go because that's all they've ever heard - they
won't be a lot of help to you

JR Weiss

"Neil Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...

> I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
> that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
> To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
> They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
> version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
> photos? What would be the price range?

Start with Photoshop Elements for $100 or less. Once you get used to what it
can do, then decide whether you want or need all the power of the full
application.

nospam

In article <eoq4l.1243$(E-Mail Removed)>, Neil Jones
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am amateur photographer, only up to the point of taking pictures. For
> the pictures I shoot, I do not process the pictures or enhance them with
> touch ups etc. The pictures that turn out good are printed and the rest
> are saved.
>
> I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
> that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
> To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
> They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
> version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
> photos? What would be the price range?

i would suggest photoshop elements for around $100. it's unlikely you
need the full version of photoshop.

> PS - What are plugins? Do you need to buy them separately from Photoshop?

third party add-ons that add features to photoshop (or to other apps).
some are free, some aren't.

Clair Johnston

Neil Jones wrote:
> harikeo wrote:
>> harikeo wrote:

>>> Howabout Photoshop Elements 7 unless you want/need the full-blown PS CSx?
>>>
>>> <mind the rap on the earl>
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65026616...0128042&sr=8-1
>>>

>> I forgot to mention Gimp 2 which is free http://www.gimp.org/

> I do have GIMP 2 but haven't done much with it. Photoshop seems to be
> have a big following and easier to get some help.
>
> NJ
>
> PS - My digital camera also comes with some software which most people
> (including myself) haven't heard of before. The software seems to be ok
> but difficult to get any help.

Big following does not necessarily equate to being the right software
package for you. Photoshop and GIMP are both very powerful packages in
the right hands. GIMP is open source and FREE. It has a huge following
in the Linux world and there is lots of support. It lacks some of the
capabilities of Photoshop, but I doubt you would notice.
Some other Free, donation supported, or open source packages are:
Faststone viewer: http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm combines
viewing and simple editing functions. Better functionality than
irfanview http://www.irfanview.com/ for most things. Both should be
part of your toolkit.
If you shoot RAW, consider Raw Therapee
http://www.rawtherapee.com/?mitem=2 This is a relative new donationware
package that is under heavy development. The latest beta release is
very stable and very competitive with commercial packages.

The above packages are FREE, but that should not be equated with low
quality. Even though they are FREE, if you find them useful, please
consider making a donation to help the developers.

Clair

Matt Ion

John Navas wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:52:48 -0500, Clair Johnston
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <Wmw4l.12014$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> ... Photoshop and GIMP are both very powerful packages in
>> the right hands. GIMP is open source and FREE. It has a huge following
>> in the Linux world and there is lots of support. It lacks some of the
>> capabilities of Photoshop, but I doubt you would notice.

> The other issue is that many people, me included, find the GIMP
> interface to be unintuitive to the point of pain. While the GIMP is
> quite powerful and free, I'll think you'll find the interface in
> Photoshop Elements much easier, and it can be found for under $30.
> (See link in my earlier post.)

Similarly, I find the Photoshop interface rather unintuitive, at least
compared to Paintshop Pro. That's why it's nice that there's options
out there... and also why all these packages offer FREE DEMO VERSIONS so
you can try them out before dropping your money on them.

As with choosing a camera, the package that's best FOR YOU is the one
that you're going to use... and that will be the one you're most
comfortable with.

Take all the suggestions here with a grain of salt... then give them all
a test drive and see which YOU prefer.

Marco Tedaldi

Good morning everyone...

As a Linux/Gimp-User I can't stand back here...

Matt Ion schrieb:
> John Navas wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:52:48 -0500, Clair Johnston
>>> ... Photoshop and GIMP are both very powerful packages in the right
>>> hands. GIMP is open source and FREE. It has a huge following in the
>>> Linux world and there is lots of support. It lacks some of the
>>> capabilities of Photoshop, but I doubt you would notice.

I know that Photoshop has tools and possibilities that Gimp does not
have... but in my daily work with gimp I dod not realize that i'm
missing a lot...

>> The other issue is that many people, me included, find the GIMP
>> interface to be unintuitive to the point of pain. While the GIMP is
>> quite powerful and free, I'll think you'll find the interface in
>> Photoshop Elements much easier, and it can be found for under $30.
>> (See link in my earlier post.)

Can't argue that since I don't know Photoshop Elements...

> Similarly, I find the Photoshop interface rather unintuitive, at least
> compared to Paintshop Pro.

fun... I sometimes have to work with PSP. And I have to say: I just
can't work with this stuff. It's unintuitive in a way for me that I just
can't work with it! Maybe my intuitivity is crippled by using The Gimp
too much
Maybe it is, that many people are refering to older versions of The Gimp
which has made huge steps forward in usability since the last few
versions...

> That's why it's nice that there's options
> out there... and also why all these packages offer FREE DEMO VERSIONS so
> you can try them out before dropping your money on them.

Right. And really try all possibilities. Just because you struggle with
the first one you try, it does not mean that the others are better.
Photo-Editing is a bit of a pain in the beginning with every software I
think.

> As with choosing a camera, the package that's best FOR YOU is the one
> that you're going to use... and that will be the one you're most
> comfortable with.

I can only agree on that. Finally some wise words in a NG. Thanx!

> Take all the suggestions here with a grain of salt... then give them all
> a test drive and see which YOU prefer.

And most important: Enjoy your pictures! Do not beat the fun down with
technobabble.

kruemi

--
Dimage A2, Agfa isolette