Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > LOL, there are some clowns / theives on Trademe.

LOL, there are some clowns / theives on Trademe.

~misfit~

Check out this auction:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=194227383

Then check the questions and answers (BTW, I have no intention of buying
it).

Then realise that, until last night, the auction was titled "DUAL CORE
THINKPAD G41 for sale" and had the CPU speed listed as 3.7GHz, a speed that
was never available in a ThinkPad (however some traders selling dual-core
have the annoying habit of adding together the speed of each core and
listing the total in the "CPU Speed" category). He's now been forced to
ammend his details although he hasn't changed the price.

Realistically, that single core power-hungry "desktop replacement" P4
clunker at this age that wouldn't run on batteries long enough to check
email and is probably worth ~$400 tops to someone who would be happy to
leave it plugged in at all times. (He claims battery life of two hours. Most
reviews I found claim that it would barely do that when new over three years
ago.)

However, if it was a dual core it's be far more valuable and the battery
would last a lot longer.

Man, it's a full-time job keeping these traders honest. A lot of them
seem to lie by ommision. I saw an old laptop go for a lot more than it was
worth the other day. To me the limiting thing was that it only had USB 1.1.
There was in fact a question on the auction asking if it had USB 2 but it
was left unanswered.

Merry Christmas (Bah, humbug!) <g>

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

news2.thing@gmail.com

On Dec 24, 12:11*pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Check out this auction:
>
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=194227383
>
> Then check the questions and answers (BTW, I have no intention of buying
> it).
>
> Then realise that, until last night, the auction was titled "DUAL CORE
> THINKPAD G41 for sale" and had the CPU speed listed as 3.7GHz, a speed that
> was never available in a ThinkPad (however some traders selling dual-core
> have the annoying habit of adding together the speed of each core and
> listing the total in the "CPU Speed" category). He's now been forced to
> ammend his details although he hasn't changed the price.
>
> Realistically, that single core power-hungry "desktop replacement" P4
> clunker at this age that wouldn't run on batteries long enough to check
> email and is probably worth ~$400 tops to someone who would be happy to
> leave it plugged in at all times. (He claims battery life of two hours. Most
> reviews I found claim that it would barely do that when new over three years
> ago.)
>
> However, if it was a dual core it's be far more valuable and the battery
> would last a lot longer.
>
> Man, it's a full-time job keeping these traders honest. A lot of them
> seem to lie by ommision. I saw an old laptop go for a lot more than it was
> worth the other day. To me the limiting thing was that it only had USB 1.1.
> There was in fact a question on the auction asking if it had USB 2 but it
> was left unanswered.more
>
> Merry Christmas (Bah, humbug!) <g>
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Shaun.

A new base acer laptop is $800~$900 and you can get it on 2 years
Interest free....someone would have to be mad to give even 50% on a
second hand one off trademe IMHO. One of the reaons I hardly bother
anymore, too many con artists and/or over-priced kit...

regards

Thing

Murray Symon

~misfit~ wrote:

> Check out this auction:
>
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=194227383
>
> Then check the questions and answers (BTW, I have no intention of buying
> it).

[snip]

> Man, it's a full-time job keeping these traders honest. A lot of them
> seem to lie by ommision. I saw an old laptop go for a lot more than it was
> worth the other day. To me the limiting thing was that it only had USB
> 1.1. There was in fact a question on the auction asking if it had USB 2
> but it was left unanswered.
>
> Merry Christmas (Bah, humbug!) <g>
>
> Cheers,

With the ThinkPads it's best to get the IBM 7-character model number
(e.g. 2647-MMH) and enter it into the IBM web page that reports its
original specification.
Also there are handy documents with summarised specs for all models,
such as:
tabook/tawbook/ltwbook - A/T/X/R/Z series
tbook/twbook - 2xx, 3xx, 5xx, 600, 7xx, 8xx series
tibook/tiwbook - i series
trbook/trwbook - older R series

see FAQ #1 at: <http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=1689>

You certainly can't rely on sellers to get all the specs correct!

Murray.

SupergoofNZ

~misfit~ wrote:
> Check out this auction:
>
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=194227383
>
> Then check the questions and answers (BTW, I have no intention of buying
> it).
>
> Then realise that, until last night, the auction was titled "DUAL CORE
> THINKPAD G41 for sale" and had the CPU speed listed as 3.7GHz, a speed that
> was never available in a ThinkPad (however some traders selling dual-core
> have the annoying habit of adding together the speed of each core and
> listing the total in the "CPU Speed" category). He's now been forced to
> ammend his details although he hasn't changed the price.
>
> Realistically, that single core power-hungry "desktop replacement" P4
> clunker at this age that wouldn't run on batteries long enough to check
> email and is probably worth ~$400 tops to someone who would be happy to
> leave it plugged in at all times. (He claims battery life of two hours. Most
> reviews I found claim that it would barely do that when new over three years
> ago.)
>
> However, if it was a dual core it's be far more valuable and the battery
> would last a lot longer.
>
> Man, it's a full-time job keeping these traders honest. A lot of them
> seem to lie by ommision. I saw an old laptop go for a lot more than it was
> worth the other day. To me the limiting thing was that it only had USB 1.1.
> There was in fact a question on the auction asking if it had USB 2 but it
> was left unanswered.
>
> Merry Christmas (Bah, humbug!) <g>
>
> Cheers,

*blam* *KAPOW!!*

The caped crusader strikes again!

;o)

Rachel

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Murray Symon" typed:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Check out this auction:
>>
>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=194227383
>>
>> Then check the questions and answers (BTW, I have no intention of
>> buying it).
>>

> [snip]
>>
>> Man, it's a full-time job keeping these traders honest. A lot of
>> them seem to lie by ommision. I saw an old laptop go for a lot more
>> than it was worth the other day. To me the limiting thing was that
>> it only had USB
>> 1.1. There was in fact a question on the auction asking if it had
>> USB 2 but it was left unanswered.
>>
>> Merry Christmas (Bah, humbug!) <g>
>>
>> Cheers,

> With the ThinkPads it's best to get the IBM 7-character model number
> (e.g. 2647-MMH) and enter it into the IBM web page that reports its
> original specification.

For sure. In fact I've just listed the specs for someone trying to sell an
R60e who didn't have much of an idea what they had. Another trader asked for
the number and when I looked it up I filled in the blanks for the seller.

> Also there are handy documents with summarised specs for all models,
> such as:
> tabook/tawbook/ltwbook - A/T/X/R/Z series
> tbook/twbook - 2xx, 3xx, 5xx, 600, 7xx, 8xx series
> tibook/tiwbook - i series
> trbook/trwbook - older R series
>
> see FAQ #1 at: <http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=1689>

Cool, thanks. I have the site bookamrked, have joined up and all, but
haven't had a chance to spend a lot of time reading there yet. It's on my
"to do" list.

> You certainly can't rely on sellers to get all the specs correct!

LOL, especially the guy in the auction I'm posting about here. When first I
asked him if he was sure that his laptop had a dual core CPU (knowing that
particular model didn't have them) he said "Absolutely".

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "SupergoofNZ" typed:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Check out this auction:
>>
>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=194227383
>>
>> Then check the questions and answers (BTW, I have no intention of
>> buying it).
>>
>> Then realise that, until last night, the auction was titled "DUAL
>> CORE THINKPAD G41 for sale" and had the CPU speed listed as 3.7GHz,
>> a speed that was never available in a ThinkPad (however some traders
>> selling dual-core have the annoying habit of adding together the
>> speed of each core and listing the total in the "CPU Speed"
>> category). He's now been forced to ammend his details although he
>> hasn't changed the price. Realistically, that single core power-hungry
>> "desktop replacement" P4
>> clunker at this age that wouldn't run on batteries long enough to
>> check email and is probably worth ~$400 tops to someone who would be
>> happy to leave it plugged in at all times. (He claims battery life
>> of two hours. Most reviews I found claim that it would barely do
>> that when new over three years ago.)
>>
>> However, if it was a dual core it's be far more valuable and the
>> battery would last a lot longer.
>>
>> Man, it's a full-time job keeping these traders honest. A lot of
>> them seem to lie by ommision. I saw an old laptop go for a lot more
>> than it was worth the other day. To me the limiting thing was that
>> it only had USB 1.1. There was in fact a question on the auction
>> asking if it had USB 2 but it was left unanswered.
>>
>> Merry Christmas (Bah, humbug!) <g>

> *blam* *KAPOW!!*
>
> The caped crusader strikes again!

Hehee! It is getting a bit like that huh?

Cheers,
--
Shaun.