Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How to decompress and display packed (zip) text file within ASP ?

How to decompress and display packed (zip) text file within ASP ?

umberto

Hello,
I know that I can process txt files using ASP scrips.
But there is a compressed text file (with Winzip) that I want to list on my
web page. Is there possibility to decompress it on server and process there
useing my ASP script ?
I should say that it is not my server, I am just using hosting provider so I
can't execute programs on the server directly.

Best greetings,
R.A.

Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP]

Hi Umberto,

There's a managed ZIP library and it was free this summer (not sure about
now):

http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/

--
Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP]
X-Unity Test Studio

"umberto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bn85ed$j5c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> I know that I can process txt files using ASP scrips.
> But there is a compressed text file (with Winzip) that I want to list on

my
> web page. Is there possibility to decompress it on server and process

there
> useing my ASP script ?
> I should say that it is not my server, I am just using hosting provider so

> can't execute programs on the server directly.
>
> Best greetings,
> R.A.

umberto

> There's a managed ZIP library and it was free this summer (not sure about
> now):
> http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/

Thanks Dmitriy !
I am just looking at it. There is dll file and a 'bat' file to instal it.
The instal script uses 'gacutil' - I am not sure what it is (I am beginner),
but hope to find out.
Anyway I don't know if my ASP hosting provider (where I put my ASP scripts -
I have no my own server) will let me run this install procedure.

Best greetings,

Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP]

Hi,

Don't be scary of the installation - it just puts the library to the Global
Assembly Cache to make it available to any .NET program on the computer. But
this is not necessary - you can just put the ZIP library to the website's
bin directory - at least it worked fine for a Windows Forms application I
took part in.

--
Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP]
X-Unity Test Studio
http://x-unity.miik.com.ua/teststudio.aspx
Bring the power of unit testing to VS .NET IDE

"umberto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bnai1d$fb2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > There's a managed ZIP library and it was free this summer (not sure

about
> > now):
> > http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/

> Thanks Dmitriy !
> I am just looking at it. There is dll file and a 'bat' file to instal it.
> The instal script uses 'gacutil' - I am not sure what it is (I am

beginner),
> but hope to find out.
> Anyway I don't know if my ASP hosting provider (where I put my ASP

scripts -
> I have no my own server) will let me run this install procedure.
>
> Best greetings,

umberto

> Don't be scary of the installation - it just puts the library to the
Global
> Assembly Cache to make it available to any .NET program on the computer.

But
> this is not necessary - you can just put the ZIP library to the website's
> bin directory - at least it worked fine for a Windows Forms application I
> took part in.

Thanks once more. Your info makes me happy
I will try to do my plans.

Greetings,

Decompress gz file DavidC ASP .Net 0 05-03-2010 07:49 PM
How to decompress .Z file? Hyunchul Kim Python 2 08-20-2007 03:30 PM
Re: How to decompress .Z file? Thomas Jollans Python 0 08-20-2007 02:55 PM
Compress text on server, decompress on client using JavaScript? Szeged Javascript 1 03-29-2006 07:49 PM
Problem with resources packed in a jar file Sameer Java 12 10-06-2005 06:53 PM

Advertisments