Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Need help setting up a VPN server

Need help setting up a VPN server

Paul Smith

Need help setting up a VPN server

Hi all

I just setup a computer with windows 2003 server ent. R2 and i want it to be
running as a VPN server. It has two network cards, one which is connected to
the internal network and the other one is connected to a wireless router
(with cable) which the latter then connects to an ADSL modem for Internet
connectviity. My question is how can I enable Routing and Remote access on
this machine and make the server act as a VPN server (giving access to
internal resources). I am sure this involves some port forwarding from modem
to router and also a way to translate the IP address to an Internet host
name (using no-ip.com for example)

Thanks a lot for your help!

Montreal_MCT

This is quite off topic... but you would have to forward port 1723 (for PPTP
VPNs) on your router, and then set up your RRAS.

Good luck.

Mitch Garvis
Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
http://garvis.ca/blogs

"Paul Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Need help setting up a VPN server
>
> Hi all
>
> I just setup a computer with windows 2003 server ent. R2 and i want it to
> be running as a VPN server. It has two network cards, one which is
> connected to the internal network and the other one is connected to a
> wireless router (with cable) which the latter then connects to an ADSL
> modem for Internet connectviity. My question is how can I enable Routing
> and Remote access on this machine and make the server act as a VPN server
> (giving access to internal resources). I am sure this involves some port
> forwarding from modem to router and also a way to translate the IP address
> to an Internet host name (using no-ip.com for example)
>
> Thanks a lot for your help!

Paul Smith

i managed to setup my VPN using windows 2003 but now i cannot browse..

i mean when connecting to my VPN to my internal network I canot use the
internet. when i close the connection, the internet is back...

what can i do to have both of them simultaneously running?

thanks
news:(E-Mail Removed)...