Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Linksys PAP2-NA - no instructions

Linksys PAP2-NA - no instructions

Dave

I've just purchased one of the above on e-Bay for use with Betamax's
SMSlisto VOIP service.

Today it arrived - but NO instructions or installation CD or anything
else enclosed. Just the unit and a wall-plug power supply.

Is there an idiot's guide to getting one of these running.

Thanks.

Dave

Dave

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 10:57:55 GMT, Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've just purchased one of the above on e-Bay for use with Betamax's
>SMSlisto VOIP service.
>
>Today it arrived - but NO instructions or installation CD or anything
>else enclosed. Just the unit and a wall-plug power supply.
>
>Is there an idiot's guide to getting one of these running.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Dave

I suppose I should have Googled before asking.
Now I find googling to <<linksys pap2 instructions "set up">> to be
quite revealing.
I'd still love to hear if somebody has a real idiot's guide.
Thanks.

nickinbrighton@gmail.com

On Dec 23, 12:24*pm, Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 10:57:55 GMT, Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I've just purchased one of the above on e-Bay for use with Betamax's
> >SMSlisto VOIP service.

> >Today it arrived - but NO instructions or installation CD or anything
> >else enclosed. Just the unit and a wall-plug power supply.

> >Is there an idiot's guide to getting one of these running.

> >Thanks.

> >Dave

> I suppose I should have Googled before asking.
> Now I find googling to <<linksys pap2 instructions "set up">> to be
> quite revealing.
> I'd still love to hear if somebody has a real idiot's guide.
> Thanks.

try the setup pages on the smslisto site http://www.smslisto.com/en/sipp.html
scroll down to the linksys spa3102 which is a similar setup to the pap2

acierinox

On Dec 23, 12:24*pm, Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 10:57:55 GMT, Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I've just purchased one of the above on e-Bay for use with Betamax's
> >SMSlisto VOIP service.

> >Today it arrived - but NO instructions or installation CD or anything
> >else enclosed. Just the unit and a wall-plug power supply.

> >Is there an idiot's guide to getting one of these running.

> >Thanks.

> >Dave

> I suppose I should have Googled before asking.
> Now I find googling to <<linksys pap2 instructions "set up">> to be
> quite revealing.
> I'd still love to hear if somebody has a real idiot's guide.
> Thanks.

try the setup pages on the smslisto site http://www.smslisto.com/en/sipp.html
scroll down to the linksys spa3102 which is a similar setup to the
pap2

Graham.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just purchased one of the above on e-Bay for use with Betamax's
> SMSlisto VOIP service.
>
> Today it arrived - but NO instructions or installation CD or anything
> else enclosed. Just the unit and a wall-plug power supply.
>
> Is there an idiot's guide to getting one of these running.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dave

Line 1 of my PAP2 is on smslisto.com
Have you found the IP address and been able to log on
with your browser?
I suggest you use a static address rather than allowing
your router to assign one via DHCP

All the config changes are made in admin logon- line 1
proxy = sip.smslisto.com
display name=your username
auth id = your username
user id = the number you wish to present as CLI* or leave blank.
password = your password

* number requires verifing in "my personal profile" in the smslisto
softphone
client

Just post back here if you get stuck

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Dave

Thanks guys.
All sorted.
One of the easiest things I've ever done!

Yes, I found instructions at http://phonecallcheap.com/linksys.aspx

I suggest you use a static address rather than allowing
your router to assign one via DHCP.

I don't understand all this stuff, but I was using a cable modem ONLY,
ie no router.
I pulled an old router out of the attic and simply connected it
between cable modem and PC.
It simply worked with no set-up.
Is that using DHCP ???

Cheers and Happy Christmas.

Dave

alexd

Dave wrote:

> I pulled an old router out of the attic and simply connected it
> between cable modem and PC.
> It simply worked with no set-up.
> Is that using DHCP ???

No, that's an attic IP address. Or something. But seriously, yes, that's
DHCP.

17:28:27 up 18 days, 19:41, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.04

Nick

"alexd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave wrote:
>
> > I pulled an old router out of the attic and simply connected it
> > between cable modem and PC.
> > It simply worked with no set-up.
> > Is that using DHCP ???

> No, that's an attic IP address. Or something. But seriously, yes, that's
> DHCP.
>
> --
> <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ((E-Mail Removed))
> 17:28:27 up 18 days, 19:41, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.04
> They call me titless because I have no tits

Are "attic" IP addresses a higher level than static ones?

Ivor Jones

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some
strange, unexplained reason:

[snip]

:
: try the setup pages on the smslisto site
: http://www.smslisto.com/en/sipp.html scroll down to the linksys
: spa3102 which is a similar setup to the pap2

Or if you're using Sipgate try http://www.sipgate.co.uk/setup/linksyspap2

Ivor

mymail@hotmail.co.uk

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 19:44:02 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some
>strange, unexplained reason:
>: On Dec 23, 12:24 pm, Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>: > I'd still love to hear if somebody has a real idiot's guide.
>: > Thanks.
>:
>: try the setup pages on the smslisto site
>: http://www.smslisto.com/en/sipp.html scroll down to the linksys
>: spa3102 which is a similar setup to the pap2
>
>Or if you're using Sipgate try http://www.sipgate.co.uk/setup/linksyspap2
>
>Ivor

Now why would he want to be using Sipgate when there are decent
providers here in the UK only bloody fools give their custom to
Sipgate .