Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Data search through multiple dropdown list

Data search through multiple dropdown list

tindatrue

criteria
I want to make three dropdown list in my asp.net form
DDL 1 is Publisher
DDL 2 is Author
DDL 3 is Books
in first list user select publisher,second list automatically change depend
on what
publisher selected in first list,similarly third list change depend on first
and/or second list. after selection, user press search button, and extract
data from access
database and show result of selected search items from dropdown lists.

How to achieve this taks ? anyone can help ??

Thanks in advance for prompt reply

--
aaaaaaaa

Steve S

Try the ajax toolkit and the cascading drop down example, see link below.
http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlT...gDropDown.aspx

SteveS

"tindatrue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> criteria
> I want to make three dropdown list in my asp.net form
> DDL 1 is Publisher
> DDL 2 is Author
> DDL 3 is Books
> in first list user select publisher,second list automatically change
> depend
> on what
> publisher selected in first list,similarly third list change depend on
> first
> and/or second list. after selection, user press search button, and extract
> data from access
> database and show result of selected search items from dropdown lists.
>
> How to achieve this taks ? anyone can help ??
>
> Thanks in advance for prompt reply
>

> --
> aaaaaaaa

Alexey Smirnov

On Dec 23, 7:55*am, tindatrue <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> criteria
> I want to make three dropdown list in my asp.net form
> DDL 1 is Publisher
> DDL 2 is Author
> DDL 3 is Books
> in first list user select publisher,second list automatically change depend
> on what
> publisher selected in first list,similarly third list change depend on first
> and/or second list. after selection, user press search button, and extract
> data from access
> database and show result of selected search items from dropdown lists.
>
> How to achieve this taks ? anyone can help ??
>
> Thanks in advance for prompt reply
>
> --
> aaaaaaaa

A regular way is to set AutoPostBack property to True
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...pdownlist.aspx

<aspropDownList id="ColorList"
AutoPostBack="True"
OnSelectedIndexChanged="Selection_Change"
runat="server">

void Selection_Change(Object sender, EventArgs e)
{

// Use ColorList.SelectedItem.Value to get the selected value

DropDownList2.DataSource = ...
DropDownList2.DataBind();

}

and so on

tindatrue

Thank you Steve, very helpful articles are there
regards
--
aaaaaaaa

"Steve S" wrote:

> Try the ajax toolkit and the cascading drop down example, see link below.
> http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlT...gDropDown.aspx
>
> SteveS
>
> "tindatrue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > criteria
> > I want to make three dropdown list in my asp.net form
> > DDL 1 is Publisher
> > DDL 2 is Author
> > DDL 3 is Books
> > in first list user select publisher,second list automatically change
> > depend
> > on what
> > publisher selected in first list,similarly third list change depend on
> > first
> > and/or second list. after selection, user press search button, and extract
> > data from access
> > database and show result of selected search items from dropdown lists.
> >
> > How to achieve this taks ? anyone can help ??
> >
> > Thanks in advance for prompt reply
> >

> > --
> > aaaaaaaa

tindatrue

Alexey thanks for your reply, I know about autopostback = true
but the problem is that all the list automatically posting back data
and i dont want thatm what i want is ,when user select all field
and press search button then the result will be shown

thanks
--
aaaaaaaa

"Alexey Smirnov" wrote:

> On Dec 23, 7:55 am, tindatrue <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> > criteria
> > I want to make three dropdown list in my asp.net form
> > DDL 1 is Publisher
> > DDL 2 is Author
> > DDL 3 is Books
> > in first list user select publisher,second list automatically change depend
> > on what
> > publisher selected in first list,similarly third list change depend on first
> > and/or second list. after selection, user press search button, and extract
> > data from access
> > database and show result of selected search items from dropdown lists.
> >
> > How to achieve this taks ? anyone can help ??
> >
> > Thanks in advance for prompt reply
> >
> > --
> > aaaaaaaa

> A regular way is to set AutoPostBack property to True
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...pdownlist.aspx
>

> <aspropDownList id="ColorList"
> AutoPostBack="True"
> OnSelectedIndexChanged="Selection_Change"
> runat="server">

> void Selection_Change(Object sender, EventArgs e)
> {
>
> // Use ColorList.SelectedItem.Value to get the selected value
>
> DropDownList2.DataSource = ...
> DropDownList2.DataBind();
>
> }
>
> and so on

Alexey Smirnov

On Dec 23, 5:32*pm, tindatrue <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Alexey thanks for your reply, I know about autopostback = true
> but the problem is that all the list automatically posting back data
> and i dont want thatm what i want is ,when user select all field
> and press search button then the result will be shown
>
> thanks
> --
> aaaaaaaa
>
> "Alexey Smirnov" wrote:
> > On Dec 23, 7:55 am, tindatrue <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> > > criteria
> > > I want to make three dropdown list in my asp.net form
> > > DDL 1 is Publisher
> > > DDL 2 is Author
> > > DDL 3 is Books
> > > in first list user select publisher,second list automatically change depend
> > > on what
> > > publisher selected in first list,similarly third list change depend on first
> > > and/or second list. after selection, user press search button, and extract
> > > data from access
> > > database and show result of selected search items from dropdown lists..

> > > How to achieve this taks ? anyone can help ??

> > > Thanks in advance for prompt reply

> > > --
> > > aaaaaaaa

> > A regular way is to set AutoPostBack property to True
> >http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ebcontrols.dro...

> > * *<aspropDownList id="ColorList"
> > * * * * * * * * * * AutoPostBack="True"
> > * * * * * * * * * * OnSelectedIndexChanged="Selection_Change"
> > * * * * * * * * * * runat="server">

> > void Selection_Change(Object sender, EventArgs e)
> > * * * {

> > // Use ColorList.SelectedItem.Value to get the selected value

> > DropDownList2.DataSource = ...
> > DropDownList2.DataBind();

> > * * * }

> > and so on