Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Sound distortion

Re: Sound distortion

Gavin McPheeters

Preferred Customer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

> I have a Dell Dimension 3000 2.8GZ computer with 1.25 GB of RAM.
>
> About 6 months ago the became distorted. The best description of this
> distortion is that the sound breaks up when a song is playing.
>
> So far the following fixes have not worked:
>
> I switched speakers but the same distortion comes through on different
> speakers.
>
> I added RAM - increasing from 512 MB to 1.25 GB ( based on a
> recommendation from someone on your site) but the same distortion
> came through after the change.
>
> I switched my music player from Dell music match jukebox to Windows
> media player 11 but the same distortion came through after the change.
>
> Does anyone have an idea as to what causes this?

Check to see if you have speech enabled - do you have a mic' connected?

Do you have on-board sound integrated with your motherboard?

If you have a sound card, remove it (dust it off) check 'pins' and
reposition.

Have you updated the BIOS where an update has been made available.

Have you checked CODEC - google for appropriate audio codec for your set-up.