Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Problems with Downloading Video from Camera

Problems with Downloading Video from Camera

I am trying to download some video from my camera onto my computer. But
every time I try to play it on the computer with Windows Media Player, it
doesn't show any image, just some sort of sound waves that one sees when
playing music.

Does anybody know how I can rectify this?

sandy58

On Dec 22, 10:28*pm, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am trying to download some video from my camera onto my computer. But
> every time I try to play it on the computer with Windows Media Player, it
> doesn't show any image, just some sort of sound waves that one sees when
> playing music.
>
> Does anybody know how I can rectify this?

Video format is..??

"sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Dec 22, 10:28 pm, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am trying to download some video from my camera onto my computer. But
> every time I try to play it on the computer with Windows Media Player, it
> doesn't show any image, just some sort of sound waves that one sees when
> playing music.
>
> Does anybody know how I can rectify this?

> Video format is..??

..avi

Paul

> "sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Dec 22, 10:28 pm, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I am trying to download some video from my camera onto my computer. But
>> every time I try to play it on the computer with Windows Media Player, it
>> doesn't show any image, just some sort of sound waves that one sees when
>> playing music.
>>
>> Does anybody know how I can rectify this?

>> Video format is..??

> .avi

GSpot is an application that pretends to play a movie, and
identifies the codec(s) required. Since it hasn't been updated
since Feb.2007, I don't know if it would recognize some of the
newer (proprietary) camera formats. You can give it a try.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

If a Directshow filter graph can be assembled, there may be
buttons near the bottom left of the window, which will allow
the video to be played. In your case, my guess would be you'll
get one of those 8 hex digit error numbers, indicating a problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directshow

Codecs are the key to this. But too many codecs is a bad thing,
because they can conflict. So simply stuffing your computer,
with every codec pack on the face of the earth, is not the answer.

AVI is a container, and just about anything can be stuffed inside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVI

Paul

sandy58

On Dec 22, 10:28*pm, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am trying to download some video from my camera onto my computer. But
> every time I try to play it on the computer with Windows Media Player, it
> doesn't show any image, just some sort of sound waves that one sees when
> playing music.
>
> Does anybody know how I can rectify this?

I use VSO.
VSO CopyToDVD & VSO ConvertXtoDVD
But when in doubt ping Ken Maltby at "alt.video.dvd.authoring"

Neil Green

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Nqc4l.32741$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> "sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Dec 22, 10:28 pm, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I am trying to download some video from my camera
>> onto my computer. But
>> every time I try to play it on the computer with
>> Windows Media Player, it
>> doesn't show any image, just some sort of sound
>> waves that one sees when
>> playing music.
>>
>> Does anybody know how I can rectify this?

>> Video format is..??

> .avi

Could just be a missing codec.
Download and install K-Lite codec pack, don't install
Media Player Classic if you'd rather use Windows Media
Player and tell K-Lite to default to WMP.
WMP will play anything I throw at it.
http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm