Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: The sickening reality of high ISO on a P&S

Re: The sickening reality of high ISO on a P&S

dj_nme

John Navas wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:25:07 +0000, savvo
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> On 2008-12-20, Stephen Bishop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> That is really funny, John. How in the world can dslr fans be
>>> threatened by compact cameras? That's the silliest thing I ever
>>> heard, at least today. What is a compact camera going to do, jump up
>>> and bite them? As you've pointed out many times, the camera is merely
>>> a tool. Some tools are better than others. That's nothing to get so
>>> defensive about.

>> No egos were harmed, no fisticuffs broke out in the making of this
>> photo...
>>
>> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/bizarrovern/3029504851/sizes/o/>
>>
>> A Fuji F45 and a D2Xs in the same room? How can that be, Johnny?

> Login required. No thanks.

Ditto.
It makes me wonder if it's worth looking at in the first place, if it's
hidden behind a login screen.

dj_nme

savvo wrote:
> On 2008-12-22, dj_nme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> John Navas wrote:
>>> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:25:07 +0000, savvo
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

>>> Login required. No thanks.

>> Ditto.
>> It makes me wonder if it's worth looking at in the first place, if it's
>> hidden behind a login screen.

> Thanks for caring, but it obviously isn't worth looking at or I
> wouldn't post it to the den-of-thieves that is flickr.
>
> Sorry for assuming that everyone's experience of the site is the same as
> mine. But never attribute to hubris what can be adequately explained by
> incompetence.
>
> <http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3044/3029504851_0e6ca565c9_o.jpg>

So what did your VCR do that deserved dismemberment?
I'm not surprised that some-one would own both a DSLR and P&S camera.
One is great for sticking in a pocket and taking almost everywhere and
the other has good low-light imaging and interchangeable lenses.
I own a Ricoh GX100, Pentax ist-ds and Samsung GX10 for those very reasons.

dj_nme

savvo wrote:
> On 2008-12-23, dj_nme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> savvo wrote:
>>> <http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3044/3029504851_0e6ca565c9_o.jpg>

>> So what did your VCR do that deserved dismemberment?

> It stopped working so, as with all failed electronics, it joined the
> photo props bin aka the garage.

I suppose that is a crime warranting dismemberment.
There are all sort of mechanical and electrical goodies inside a dead
VCR, so the bits could still do something other than just being a photo
prop.