Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Help, No Sound

Help, No Sound

Paul Carter

Good Morning,

I've got a problem I'd welcome some help with.

I'm rebuilding an old comp and can't get any sound out of the damn
thing. It's about seven year sold, used to run just fine, was my
machine. I've upgraded to something a bit quicker, so my daughter is
going to get this one.

The machine is an ordinary PC clone,Athlon1100 chip, MSI MS-6390
motherboard with on board sound. Fresh install of XP Home SP3.

Everything went fine apart from the sound. I've loaded the drivers
for the on board sound, enabled the board in the BIOS, everything
looks OK in the Device Manager, there are no yellow exclamation signs.
However it wont make a sound. I've tried playing MP3s and audio CD
tracks in WMP, it looks fine, the progress bar moves along the bottom
just as it should, but no noise. If I go to the Sounds tab in "Sounds
and Audio Devices" and play some of the different sounds one can
select for various events I can't hear those either.

I've checked what I hope are all the obvious things, nothing is muted
on the Volume control, and the speakers that are plugged in do work.

I also have a PCI sound card, so I installed that and, disabled the
onboard sound. XP recognised the card fine, but still no noise!

Help, any ideas welcome, as the machine is supposed to be for Xmas.

Regards

Paul

Enkidu

Paul Carter wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> I've got a problem I'd welcome some help with.
>
> I'm rebuilding an old comp and can't get any sound out of the damn
> thing. It's about seven year sold, used to run just fine, was my
> machine. I've upgraded to something a bit quicker, so my daughter is
> going to get this one.
>
> The machine is an ordinary PC clone,Athlon1100 chip, MSI MS-6390
> motherboard with on board sound. Fresh install of XP Home SP3.
>
> Everything went fine apart from the sound. I've loaded the drivers
> for the on board sound, enabled the board in the BIOS, everything
> looks OK in the Device Manager, there are no yellow exclamation
> signs. However it wont make a sound. I've tried playing MP3s and
> audio CD tracks in WMP, it looks fine, the progress bar moves along
> the bottom just as it should, but no noise. If I go to the Sounds
> tab in "Sounds and Audio Devices" and play some of the different
> sounds one can select for various events I can't hear those either.
>
> I've checked what I hope are all the obvious things, nothing is muted
> on the Volume control, and the speakers that are plugged in do work.
>

> I also have a PCI sound card, so I installed that and, disabled the
> onboard sound. XP recognised the card fine, but still no noise!
>
> Help, any ideas welcome, as the machine is supposed to be for Xmas.

Maybe the onboard chip is what is technically known as 'buggered'. Get a
cheap PCI sound card.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Tax is not theft.

Bobs

On Dec 23, 8:47*am, Paul Carter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> I've got a problem I'd welcome some help with.
>
> I'm rebuilding an old comp and can't get any sound out of the damn
> thing. *It's about seven year sold, used to run just fine, was my
> machine. *I've upgraded to something a bit quicker, so my daughter is
> going to get this one.
>
> The machine is an ordinary PC clone,Athlon1100 chip, *MSI MS-6390
> motherboard with on board sound. *Fresh install of XP Home SP3. *
>
> Everything went fine apart from the sound. *I've loaded the drivers
> for the on board sound, enabled the board in the BIOS, everything
> looks OK in the Device Manager, there are no yellow exclamation signs.
> However it wont make a sound. *I've tried playing MP3s and audio CD
> tracks in WMP, it looks fine, the progress bar moves along the bottom
> just as it should, but no noise. *If I go to the Sounds tab in "Sounds
> and Audio Devices" and play some of the different sounds one can
> select for various events I can't hear those either.
>
> I've checked what I hope are all the obvious things, nothing is muted
> on the Volume control, and the speakers that are plugged in do work.
>
> I also have a PCI sound card, so I installed that and, disabled the
> onboard sound. *XP recognised the card fine, but still no noise!
>
> Help, any ideas welcome, as the machine is supposed to be for Xmas.
>
> Regards
>
> Paul

You certain you got the correct drivers? I'd look for an updated
version of the driver. That's an old motherboard that was probably
made when XP was only SP1.

I would also go Start - Run type in "dxdiag" and then run the sound
tests there as SP3 has DirectX 10 and your onboard sound card may not
like the new versions of DirectSound.

Paul Carter

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 09:31:45 +1300, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Paul Carter wrote:
>> Good Morning,
>>
>> I've got a problem I'd welcome some help with.
>>
>> I'm rebuilding an old comp and can't get any sound out of the damn
>> thing. It's about seven year sold, used to run just fine, was my
>> machine. I've upgraded to something a bit quicker, so my daughter is
>> going to get this one.
>>
>> The machine is an ordinary PC clone,Athlon1100 chip, MSI MS-6390
>> motherboard with on board sound. Fresh install of XP Home SP3.
>>
>> Everything went fine apart from the sound. I've loaded the drivers
>> for the on board sound, enabled the board in the BIOS, everything
>> looks OK in the Device Manager, there are no yellow exclamation
>> signs. However it wont make a sound. I've tried playing MP3s and
>> audio CD tracks in WMP, it looks fine, the progress bar moves along
>> the bottom just as it should, but no noise. If I go to the Sounds
>> tab in "Sounds and Audio Devices" and play some of the different
>> sounds one can select for various events I can't hear those either.
>>
>> I've checked what I hope are all the obvious things, nothing is muted
>> on the Volume control, and the speakers that are plugged in do work.
>>

>> I also have a PCI sound card, so I installed that and, disabled the
>> onboard sound. XP recognised the card fine, but still no noise!
>>
>> Help, any ideas welcome, as the machine is supposed to be for Xmas.
>>

>Maybe the onboard chip is what is technically known as 'buggered'. Get a
>cheap PCI sound card.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Cliff

It may indeed be bugered, but if you read 10 lines above here, you'll
see I've already done that.

Thanks.

Paul

Paul Carter

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 12:57:56 -0800 (PST), Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Dec 23, 8:47*am, Paul Carter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Good Morning,
>>
>> I've got a problem I'd welcome some help with.
>>
>> I'm rebuilding an old comp and can't get any sound out of the damn
>> thing. *It's about seven year sold, used to run just fine, was my
>> machine. *I've upgraded to something a bit quicker, so my daughter is
>> going to get this one.
>>
>> The machine is an ordinary PC clone,Athlon1100 chip, *MSI MS-6390
>> motherboard with on board sound. *Fresh install of XP Home SP3. *
>>
>> Everything went fine apart from the sound. *I've loaded the drivers
>> for the on board sound, enabled the board in the BIOS, everything
>> looks OK in the Device Manager, there are no yellow exclamation signs.
>> However it wont make a sound. *I've tried playing MP3s and audio CD
>> tracks in WMP, it looks fine, the progress bar moves along the bottom
>> just as it should, but no noise. *If I go to the Sounds tab in "Sounds
>> and Audio Devices" and play some of the different sounds one can
>> select for various events I can't hear those either.
>>
>> I've checked what I hope are all the obvious things, nothing is muted
>> on the Volume control, and the speakers that are plugged in do work.
>>
>> I also have a PCI sound card, so I installed that and, disabled the
>> onboard sound. *XP recognised the card fine, but still no noise!
>>
>> Help, any ideas welcome, as the machine is supposed to be for Xmas.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Paul

>You certain you got the correct drivers? I'd look for an updated
>version of the driver. That's an old motherboard that was probably
>made when XP was only SP1.
>
>I would also go Start - Run type in "dxdiag" and then run the sound
>tests there as SP3 has DirectX 10 and your onboard sound card may not
>like the new versions of DirectSound.

Thanks, I'll try that.

wrote:

>You certain you got the correct drivers? I'd look for an updated
>version of the driver. That's an old motherboard that was probably
>made when XP was only SP1.

99% certain the drivers are correct. Really all I want to do is a
clean install of XP on an old machine, so logic says everything should
work as it used to without the need for any new drivers.

>I would also go Start - Run type in "dxdiag" and then run the sound
>tests there as SP3 has DirectX 10 and your onboard sound card may not
>like the new versions of DirectSound.

Done that, thanks again. The DirectX version is shown as 9.0c
(4.009.0000.0904). The sound and music tests don't produce any sound.

Paul

Max Burke

> Paul Carter wrote:
> Good Morning,
> I've got a problem I'd welcome some help with.
> I'm rebuilding an old comp and can't get any sound out of the damn
> thing. It's about seven year sold, used to run just fine, was my
> machine. I've upgraded to something a bit quicker, so my daughter is
> going to get this one.

> The machine is an ordinary PC clone,Athlon1100 chip, MSI MS-6390
> motherboard with on board sound. Fresh install of XP Home SP3.
> Everything went fine apart from the sound. I've loaded the drivers
> for the on board sound, enabled the board in the BIOS, everything
> looks OK in the Device Manager, there are no yellow exclamation signs.
> However it wont make a sound. I've tried playing MP3s and audio CD
> tracks in WMP, it looks fine, the progress bar moves along the bottom
> just as it should, but no noise. If I go to the Sounds tab in "Sounds
> and Audio Devices" and play some of the different sounds one can
> select for various events I can't hear those either.
> I've checked what I hope are all the obvious things, nothing is muted
> on the Volume control, and the speakers that are plugged in do work.
> I also have a PCI sound card, so I installed that and, disabled the
> onboard sound. XP recognised the card fine, but still no noise!

> Help, any ideas welcome, as the machine is supposed to be for Xmas.

[You may have tried this already...]

Go to Control Panel.
Select/open Sound and Audio Devices.
Check:
Sounds Tab - Make sure it isn't loading a 'mute/no sounds' scheme as the
default sounds scheme.
Audio - Default Device (in all settings) make sure drivers/codec's, etc
matches the on board hardware.
Do the same for the Voice and Hardware Tabs

If that doesn't work try re-installing the sounds hardware from the Add
Hardware Control Panel applet.

Finally if all the above fails, try manually installing the sounds hardware
directly from the XP CD itself.
There should be an audio folder on the XP CD where you can install the
Sound/audio drivers.
You may have a separate CD that came with the computer that has the audio
drivers, etc on it.

I have to do a manual re-install of the audio hardware/drivers from the XP
and audio hardware CD, after I re-install the OS (XP home or Pro) on this 7
year old PC Company PC I'm using.

Only after I have done that the onboard sound works, and only then can I
apply the updated/latest drivers for the onboard sound system.

Found Images

Richard

Paul Carter wrote:

> I'm rebuilding an old comp and can't get any sound out of the damn
> thing. It's about seven year sold, used to run just fine, was my
> machine. I've upgraded to something a bit quicker, so my daughter is
> going to get this one.
>
> The machine is an ordinary PC clone,Athlon1100 chip, MSI MS-6390
> motherboard with on board sound. Fresh install of XP Home SP3.
>
> Everything went fine apart from the sound. I've loaded the drivers
> for the on board sound, enabled the board in the BIOS, everything
> looks OK in the Device Manager, there are no yellow exclamation signs.
> However it wont make a sound. I've tried playing MP3s and audio CD
> tracks in WMP, it looks fine, the progress bar moves along the bottom
> just as it should, but no noise. If I go to the Sounds tab in "Sounds
> and Audio Devices" and play some of the different sounds one can
> select for various events I can't hear those either.
>
> I've checked what I hope are all the obvious things, nothing is muted
> on the Volume control, and the speakers that are plugged in do work.
>
> I also have a PCI sound card, so I installed that and, disabled the
> onboard sound. XP recognised the card fine, but still no noise!
>
> Help, any ideas welcome, as the machine is supposed to be for Xmas.

2 things spring to mind - old motherboard may have AC97 wiring for the
front jacks, needing jumpers if not connected to pass audio to the rear
ones.

Secondly, you may have it set to 5.1 output on the digital out, which
disables the analog out.

Paul Carter

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 11:05:30 +1300, "Max Burke"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

SNIP

>[You may have tried this already...]
>
>Go to Control Panel.
>Select/open Sound and Audio Devices.
>Check:
>Sounds Tab - Make sure it isn't loading a 'mute/no sounds' scheme as the
>default sounds scheme.

Sound scheme was blank, set it to Windows Default, no joy.

>Audio - Default Device (in all settings) make sure drivers/codec's, etc
>matches the on board hardware.
>Do the same for the Voice and Hardware Tabs

Afraid already been there, done that.

>If that doesn't work try re-installing the sounds hardware from the Add
>Hardware Control Panel applet.

The Wizard says that the sound device is already installed perfectly,
thank you very much.

>Finally if all the above fails, try manually installing the sounds hardware
>directly from the XP CD itself.
>There should be an audio folder on the XP CD where you can install the
>Sound/audio drivers.

Not on any of my CDs. I've checked an original XP Pro, Pro sp2 and
Home SP3 disks. None have an Audio folder.

>You may have a separate CD that came with the computer that has the audio
>drivers, etc on it.

Yup, tried manually installing the original audio drivers, which
appear to install just fine.

>I have to do a manual re-install of the audio hardware/drivers from the XP
>and audio hardware CD, after I re-install the OS (XP home or Pro) on this 7
>year old PC Company PC I'm using.

This sounds much like my problem.

>Only after I have done that the onboard sound works, and only then can I
>apply the updated/latest drivers for the onboard sound system.

Thanks for your time and replies.

Paul

Paul Carter

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 11:27:59 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

SNIP
>2 things spring to mind - old motherboard may have AC97 wiring for the
>front jacks, needing jumpers if not connected to pass audio to the rear
>ones.

The machine doesn't have front audio jacks, just a pair of USB1.1
sockets. However the jumpers to connect the rear Line Out jack are
set correctly.

>Secondly, you may have it set to 5.1 output on the digital out, which
>disables the analog out.

Now you've lost me, I'm afraid. The only setting close to this I can
find I've set to desktop speakers.

Thanks for your time.

Paul