Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Does anyone here have a SX10?

Does anyone here have a SX10?

scarumcreek@gmail.com

I am planning to buy a new digital camera this week but wanted to see
what current owners had to say about the Canon SX10...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-=] RiverMan [=-

David J Taylor

Stephen Henning wrote:
[]
> Here are some of the specs:
>
> Image Sensor: 1/2.3" CCD, 10 MP
> EVF Viewfinder: .44", 235,000 pixels
> LCD Monitor: 2.5", 230,000 pixels, vari-angle
> Continuous Shooting: 1.4 shots/sec
> Highest Movie Resolution: 640 x 480, 30 fps, 1 hour max. (4GB)
> Battery Life: 600 shots
> Size and Weight: 124 x 88 x 87 mm, 560 grams
> Lens: 28-560mm equiv, f/2.8-f/5.7
> Formats: 4/3

Thanks for that report, Steve, most encouraging.

One minor point is that, like many cameras, the LCD and EVF is "dots", not
RGB pixels. So each is around 77K RGB pixels.

Sounds like you will have a lot of fun with that camera - I know how much
I enjoyed my FZ5.

Cheers,
David

Dave Cohen

Stephen Henning wrote:

>> I am planning to buy a new digital camera this week but wanted to see
>> what current owners had to say about the Canon SX10...

> I have had my SX10 IS for about 2 months now. It is actually better than
> I expected. The focus is extremely precise, even in low light when it
> uses the built in focus lamp for the flash. The antishake has worked
> remarkably well. It is fast. The exposures are perfect with and
> without flash. The image stabilization seems to work flawlessly. It is
> amazing to handhold a 560 mm-equiv shot and have it come out crystal
> clear. I mainly use the EVF. I only use the LCD screen when I can't
> use the EVF do to holding the camera high over my head and holding the
> camera down low to get a closeup. Then is when the articulated LCD
> screen is extremely handy. It swivels to just about any position.
>
> I came from a Minolta Z5. The SX10 has a much more powerful flash. The
> SX10 comes with a lens hood which can be stored on the camera when not
> used. The SX10 has almost twice the zoom range. The image
> stabilization is a little better, the Z5 was good also. The SX10 is
> easier to use for close-ups. The SX10 has excellent near-macro
> capability without using macro mode.
>
> The one area that I am having some difficulty is knowing when to use
> macro mode. All of my pictures are good. I am going to put my camera on
> a copy stand and test the macro capability so I know what is optimum for
> macro photography. In macro mode, it seems to like fairly low focal
> lengths. With macro off, it will use longer focal lengths, but you have
> to watch that you don't get too close.
>
> I bought the SX10 because:
>
> It has a hot shoe for an external flash
> It is focuses quickly for close-ups
> It has great zoom range, 28-560 mm-equiv
> It has great image stabilization
> It has super macro capabilities
> It has fast operation
>
> There is an Olympus that has similar specs. It had a lot of trouble
> locking in the focus when doing close-ups. That is what convinced me to
> get the SX10. The SX10 worked flawlessly.
>
> Several of my friends with DSLR's are looking at my SX10. Most don't
> change their lenses very often, especially in the field because they
> can't afford to take a chance of getting dust on their sensor. It is
> their dream to have a digital camera where they have the full range of
> zoom without changing lenses and with super antishake performance. I
> already have that.
>
> Here are some of the specs:
>
> Image Sensor: 1/2.3" CCD, 10 MP
> EVF Viewfinder: .44", 235,000 pixels
> LCD Monitor: 2.5", 230,000 pixels, vari-angle
> Continuous Shooting: 1.4 shots/sec
> Highest Movie Resolution: 640 x 480, 30 fps, 1 hour max. (4GB)
> Battery Life: 600 shots
> Size and Weight: 124 x 88 x 87 mm, 560 grams
> Lens: 28-560mm equiv, f/2.8-f/5.7
> Formats: 4/3

As far as I can tell (and I haven't done much of this), on my A95 the
macro mode is bypassed when you use manual focus. I'm not sure what
macro mode does on a p&s. On a dslr lens I believe it actually moves an
element. Play with manual focus mode and see what you think.
Right now, if I had to replace my camera, it would most likely be the
sx10-is, good luck with yours. I've no interest in getting involved in
the p&s vs dslr discussion. Different strokes for different folks.
Dave Cohen

GregS

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen Henning <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I am planning to buy a new digital camera this week but wanted to see
>> what current owners had to say about the Canon SX10...

>I have had my SX10 IS for about 2 months now. It is actually better than
>I expected. The focus is extremely precise, even in low light when it
>uses the built in focus lamp for the flash. The antishake has worked
>re

I held one in the store. Could't figure out the small LCD screen. Can you use it without
flipping it out ? Strange crosshatch and other strange stuff on display. Too technical
for me. How can I go wrong for $230 on a Fuji S2000 ??

greg

GregS

In article <gir04e$nqo$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (GregS) wrote:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen
> Henning <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> I am planning to buy a new digital camera this week but wanted to see
>>> what current owners had to say about the Canon SX10...

>>I have had my SX10 IS for about 2 months now. It is actually better than
>>I expected. The focus is extremely precise, even in low light when it
>>uses the built in focus lamp for the flash. The antishake has worked
>>re

>I held one in the store. Could't figure out the small LCD screen. Can you use
> it without
>flipping it out ? Strange crosshatch and other strange stuff on display. Too
> technical
>for me. How can I go wrong for $230 on a Fuji S2000 ??
>
>greg

SD2000HD

Today $223 at Best Buy order. I looked at images on Imaging Resource and it
was half decent for the money I think.

greg

GregS

In article <gir3as$ofa$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (GregS) wrote:
>In article <gir04e$nqo$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> (GregS) wrote:
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen
>> Henning <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>I have had my SX10 IS for about 2 months now. It is actually better than
>>>I expected. The focus is extremely precise, even in low light when it
>>>uses the built in focus lamp for the flash. The antishake has worked
>>>re

>>I held one in the store. Could't figure out the small LCD screen. Can you use
>> it without
>>flipping it out ? Strange crosshatch and other strange stuff on display. Too
>> technical
>>for me. How can I go wrong for $230 on a Fuji S2000 ??
>>
>>greg

>SD2000HD
>
>Today $223 at Best Buy order. I looked at images on Imaging Resource and it
>was half decent for the money I think.

I just looked again at the images at IR with the side by side comparison shots.
The Fuji actually lookes better than the SX10 on a number of shots. The Fuji
has high chromatic distortion on macro. I read these other reports on how
poor the ISO is and then it does not look too bad to me, better than the Canon
in some areas. ?

greg

ASAAR

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 15:29:18 GMT, GregS wrote:

>>I have had my SX10 IS for about 2 months now. It is actually better than
>>I expected. The focus is extremely precise, even in low light when it
>>uses the built in focus lamp for the flash. The antishake has worked
>>re

> I held one in the store. Could't figure out the small LCD screen. Can you use it without
> flipping it out ? Strange crosshatch and other strange stuff on display. Too technical
> for me. How can I go wrong for $230 on a Fuji S2000 ??

The difference in image quality is probably very slight. Similar
sensors, 10mp 1/2.3", but many of Fuji's cameras have reputations
for good low light performance, so there's a chance that the S2000
might have a stop or so better high ISO image quality. For video,
Canon's cameras are usually superior, and the SX10 records audio in
stereo vs. mono for the S2000. Weight (with batteries installed)
has the SX10 about 50% heavier than the S2000. Canon's previous
version, the S5 IS is approximately the same weight as the S2000.
The SX10 has a wider range of shutter speeds, 15 sec. to 1/3,200
sec. vs 4 sec. to 1/1,000 sec. for the S2000. DPReview has 8.8m for
the S2000's flash range vs 5.2m for the SX10. If the SX10's flash
was twice as powerful it would have a range of 7.4m, and if it was
four times as powerful the range would extend to 10.4m, so all else
being equal, the S2000's flash (possibly due to the S2000's ISO
performance) performs like an SX10 with about three times more
output from its flash. This type of comparison usually identifies
cameras that have better sensor performance at higher ISOs. For
what it's worth, the SX10 goes up to ISO 1,600 and the S2000 up to
ISO 3,200 at full resolution and ISO 6,400 at 5mp resolution. These
high ISOs are pretty much for emergency use in cameras such as these
that have small sensors. If low light performance is important for
you and you can test the cameras in a store, bring an SD card to
take pictures at various ISOs for later comparisons at home.

If you really are able to test the cameras, compare the quickness
and accuracy of their focusing, particularly in lower light areas of
the store, and also see how comfortable or clumsy they feel in your
hands, as well as how clumsy their menu systems are. Many of the
settings on the SX10 are changed by spinning a ring that surrounds a
center button while most other cameras have a similar four way (up,
down, left, right) controller ring also surrounding a central
button. Some people have no problem with the SX10's rotating
control ring. Many others feel that Canon's implementation needs to
be improved, as fine, sensitive control just isn't there. To make
small changes the ring needs to be spun quickly over a greater
angular distance than seems reasonable, or nothing will happen.
Maybe an SX10 II will get it right, but despite this, the SX10 is a
very nice camera, and some people will prefer it, and others will
prefer the S2000.

GregS

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, ASAAR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

>and accuracy of their focusing, particularly in lower light areas of
>the store, and also see how comfortable or clumsy they feel in your
>hands, as well as how clumsy their menu systems are. Many of the
>settings on the SX10 are changed by spinning a ring that surrounds a
>center button while most other cameras have a similar four way (up,
>down, left, right) controller ring also surrounding a central
>button. Some people have no problem with the SX10's rotating
>control ring. Many others feel that Canon's implementation needs to
>be improved, as fine, sensitive control just isn't there. To make
>small changes the ring needs to be spun quickly over a greater
>angular distance than seems reasonable, or nothing will happen.
>Maybe an SX10 II will get it right, but despite this, the SX10 is a
>very nice camera, and some people will prefer it, and others will

Thanks for giving the info. I thought the SX 10 would be a cool camera.
I decided on buying a Nikon D40 two months ago, but nothing
happened, I got money shy. Great ISO performance over these two.
Good idea to take a memory into the store !

greg

TheRealSteve

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 11:12:17 -0500, Stephen Henning <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I am planning to buy a new digital camera this week but wanted to see
>> what current owners had to say about the Canon SX10...

Don't have one. But I have 2 SX-70's. One, the original brushed
metal and the other, a white Model 2. I have no idea what I'm going
to do with them though. At least they don't take up much space.

Steve

Paul Furman

TheRealSteve wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 11:12:17 -0500, Stephen Henning <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> I am planning to buy a new digital camera this week but wanted to see
>>> what current owners had to say about the Canon SX10...

> Don't have one. But I have 2 SX-70's. One, the original brushed
> metal and the other, a white Model 2. I have no idea what I'm going
> to do with them though. At least they don't take up much space.

That's a groovy old Polaroid, I had lots of fun with one when I was a
kid. I just checked recent sales on ebay and one sold for $200 though
most for around $30 and a package of 100 pieces of film sold for $456 !

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net